Does Nintendo need new IPs?

#1Ritster21Posted 2/4/2013 4:32:05 PM
Friend: Nintendo has no good games anymore. All they have is Mario.

Me: Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Xenoblade, Kirby, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Yoshi, Mother, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Pokemon etc etc

Friend: Star Fox, F-Zero and Golden Sun are non existent now. Xenoblade is a new IP; we don't know if it will become a franchise. Kirby and Yoshi are casual-fest. Kid Icarus just came back; we don't know if it will continue. Whats Mother? Fire Emblem was almost non existent, we'll see soon what happens. DK is up in the air. AC is irrelevant. Pikmin is niche. That leaves Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon. Ninty needs some new IPs ASAP!

What do you guys think?
#2robulastagePosted 2/4/2013 4:33:27 PM
They do, because Nintendoom.
---
3DS FC: 4253-3586-3727
#3ceedofevilPosted 2/4/2013 4:37:20 PM
I think your friend is a moron.
---
An apology for the devil: It must be remembered that we have only heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.
-George Herbert
#4LLL_DeadlyPosted 2/4/2013 4:37:42 PM
No. They need to get rid of all their IPs except for Zelda, and then just put all of their resources into making a perfect Zelda game.

...Yeah, I live and breathe LoZ.
---
Wind Waker is one of the greatest games ever made. Hoping the HD Remake does it justice.
#5Catcher_FreemanPosted 2/4/2013 4:39:02 PM(edited)
<text>Nintendo has more IPs than any of its competitors.</text>

It's not their fault that many of them don't sell as well and aren't as popular as Mario, Pokemon and Zelda.

If they sold better, they'd make more games. Nintendo just does what any business does; stick to what makes money.
---
The mac daddy of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
#6nintendoveteranPosted 2/4/2013 4:39:00 PM
ceedofevil posted...
I think your friend is a moron.

---
I should go to a board where people discuss things I hate, so I can complain about them. Please take me seriously!
#7TransdudePosted 2/4/2013 4:48:58 PM
Ritster21 posted...
Star Fox, F-Zero and Golden Sun are non existent now.

F-Zero is an ended franchise because Nintendo was surprised that people wanted another one, Star Fox is still being talked about, and no clue about Golden Sun.

Ritster21 posted...
Xenoblade is a new IP

Xenoblade is part of the Xeno series that began with Xenogears back in 1998 on the Playstation.

Ritster21 posted...
Kid Icarus just came back; we don't know if it will continue.

The game is currently up in the air as to a sequel.

Ritster21 posted...
Fire Emblem was almost non existent

Awakening was released TODAY with much hype.

Ritster21 posted...
That leaves Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon.

Zelda will be talked about at E3, Pokemon will be released in October, and nothing new on Metroid and Mario though.

And that is the current status update.
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS Friend Code: 2750-1600-2747
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#8TakayaNorikoPosted 2/4/2013 4:49:03 PM
Yes, they do need new IPs. And I wish they'd switch over to IPv6, while they're at it.
---
Before you came, they were took care of it.
#9LonelyGoombaPosted 2/4/2013 5:02:06 PM
I wouldn't mind around 2 new IPs per system.
but we kinda do get that...
so...two big budget IPs
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLonelyGoomba
Please check out my YT channel, even if you hate it, thats fine.
#10EnclavePosted 2/4/2013 5:07:21 PM
Regarding Mother? Itoi seems pretty certain there will never be another game so you shouldn't use it as an example of why Nintendo doesn't need new IPs.

Your friend honestly does make a point, if you ask me Nintendo does need more IPs, or at least they need to revive old IPs or continuations of individual games that it makes sense to continue.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.