Does Nintendo need new IPs?

#31MMaestroPosted 2/4/2013 8:11:39 PM
Makeveli_lives posted...
nintendoveteran posted...
ceedofevil posted...
I think your friend is a moron.

^This

Anyone who would so callously dismiss Animal Crossing (especially looking at the sales figures for New Leaf) is a complete tool and their opinion is worthless.

Japanese sales don't mean a damn thing compared to the west.

http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/images/2013_01/sales_chart_large.png

Mario Galaxy vs Mario 3D Land in the West vs Japan. Notice how not once do the Japanese sales figures measure up to the West? And, in terms of culture, Mario is big in Japan so it's more then just a mascot from a gaming series to them. To the west he isn't yet their sales are still complete crap compared to ours. So if you're going to base your argument off sales figures, least you could do is use the figures that actually matter.

Japanese sales have higher profit margins thanks to the fact that they don't need to pay localization costs and higher MSRP.

I'm not saying that Japanese sales aren't more important that sales in the West (they aren't), but direct sales figures comparisons aren't perfect in this industry.
#32McMarblesPosted 2/4/2013 8:52:12 PM
Nintendo HAS new IP's, they just get ignored because if the haters acknowledged thm, they wouln't be able to whine that Nintendo never makes new IPs.
---
Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Rainbow Dash is best pony. Fact.
#33lambchipsPosted 2/4/2013 9:00:55 PM
nintendo has more than enough....
heck, they have so many that arent even used and need reboots (startropics)
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#34sumostickfigurePosted 2/4/2013 9:03:27 PM
Friend: Star Fox, F-Zero and Golden Sun are non existent now. Xenoblade is a new IP

Didn't Xenoblade come out before the most recent Golden Sun in Japan? I don't see how GS can be considered nonexistent if XB is a "new" IP.
---
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif
#35Tempest717Posted 2/4/2013 9:06:02 PM
Kirby is as hardcore as it gets bro.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#36SMASHKING84Posted 2/4/2013 9:08:02 PM
Tempest717 posted...
Kirby is as hardcore as it gets bro.

especially in america.(look at the box art)
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GODCCAOyCCs CRYAMORE FTW
#37CrybabyloverPosted 2/4/2013 9:14:33 PM
TakayaNoriko posted...
Yes, they do need new IPs. And I wish they'd switch over to IPv6, while they're at it.

Lol.
---
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
[3DS FC: 1289-8445-3650] | [NNID: xShiga] | [PSN: Shiga2714] | [Steam: xxshigaxx]
#38Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:15:12 AM
Bump.
#39ACx7Posted 2/5/2013 1:00:01 AM
I don't think they NEED them. But it would certainly be nice to see something fresh.
#40AkaneJonesPosted 2/5/2013 6:00:58 AM
Catcher_Freeman posted...
Mach Rider

Isn't F-Zero essentially its spiritual successor??

Not really, it a shooter where you ride a motorcycle in pseudo 3D. They could easily make it into a game that is a cross between GTA x Mad Max meets 80s Shirow post apocalyptic anime with robots. Considering what would happen and what Western critics of Nintendo seem to want of them, I think that would be the game for them.

Admittedly F-Zero was sort of supposed to have something to do with Mach Rider. But that's like Donkey Kong still having something to do with Yoshi Island. It's not even X(GB, not the new Monolith game) having something to d with Star Fox.