My computer cannot find the data on my SD card?

#1MogKnightAzurePosted 2/5/2013 12:27:44 AM
I'm having an issue here and I can't seem to get it figured out. I just did a system transfer (from release day 3ds to fire emblem 3ds) but it seems that transferring save files and other application data is a manual process from SD card to SD card. The fire emblem 3ds came with a 4gb SD card, and fire emblem is a big game at 8500 blocks... so naturally, I want to use the 4gb SD card now.

Problem is, having my PC read my old SD card, all I see is the DCIM folder, and a folder within that one that has my 3DS photos. I see nothing else, in fact, I erased all my photos on the SD card and now I have a DCIM folder taking up 0 space, but the SD card only has 290 MB free... so most of the space is being taken up by files my PC simply wont show me. I have folder options set to show hidden files, so I'm really baffled here.

Any suggestions? I'm under the impression I should have a 'Nintendo 3DS' folder that contains all my extra data, but I don't see it. I also don't see it on my new SD card, so this seems to be a problem on my PCs end.
#2MasafumiGotoPosted 2/5/2013 12:40:52 AM(edited)
Maybe the files are hidden? You can show hidden files by changing some options in the folder options if you are using a Windows PC.

Edit: Oh god, didn't read 2nd paragraph. I have no idea then.
---
ASRock Ext 3 Gen 3 | i7 2600k | GSkill 16 GB | 670 GTX | Antec EA650 | Crucial M4 128 GB | WD Black 750 GB
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4166/akfg.jpg
#3n00bsaib0tPosted 2/5/2013 12:43:35 AM
First thing I would do is make sure your 3DS reads the data on both cards. You should be able to pop in the old SD card and make sure your saves are still there for your games.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#4MogKnightAzure(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:49:22 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
First thing I would do is make sure your 3DS reads the data on both cards. You should be able to pop in the old SD card and make sure your saves are still there for your games.

Yeah it does, my old card works flawlessly in the new 3ds since I did the system transfer. It will show all my files and folders, and going into games shows my save files. Under data management options, the extra data section shows plenty of files.

My new SD card is much the same. I even tried to create data on it by downloading one of my games again, creating a save in it, then putting the new SD card into my PC. My new SD card shows absolutely nothing in it, despite also telling me that some space is being used. There isn't even a DCIM folder, most likely because I haven't used the camera with the new SD card.
#5n00bsaib0tPosted 2/5/2013 12:57:26 AM
I would try it in a friend's computer and see if the files show up. Hopefully you can get it figured out.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#6MogKnightAzure(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:02:04 AM(edited)
I don't know if I figured it out or not. It might have something to do with either my PC or the method I used to read the SD card but I thought to myself 'if its a PC issue, then naturally, try a different PC' and sure enough, I see the Nintendo 3DS folder if I put my SD card in my mom's laptop.

My PC has no SD card slot, and I was using a digital camera to view the SD card's files. I'm still not entirely sure why this omits that one folder. Is that because I'm using the camera? Of course, I'm not using the camera itself to view the files, I'm checking the SD card like I would any other drive on a computer, using windows explorer and nothing else. Hm.

Edit:
n00bsaib0t posted...
I would try it in a friend's computer and see if the files show up. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

Aha, yes that is exactly what I did
#7MogKnightAzure(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:50:05 AM
Huh. I guess it really was the camera all along. I've used other devices to read SD cards all the time with no problems, I didn't realize this would be different. Oh well. Problem solved. Thanks.