Square-Enix blames their failure at the consumers

#81MinamoPosted 2/6/2013 4:22:26 AM(edited)
talesfan215 posted...
Sales were part of the reason they didn't localize it.

They weren't going to take that risk on an almost dead portable too.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/86945/how-valkyria-chronicles-has-been-ruined-in-the-west/#

Valkyria Chronicles 1 sold better in the West than it did in Japan. So what did the genius at Sega go and do? Put the second game on a handheld that only Japan buys games for (they already had the fantastic engine complete for PS3), turned the story into an animu cliche ****fest, and then blame the American fans for not supporting the series. Surprisingly, sales were still better worldwide vs Japan, but worldwide sales don't matter to Sega apparently, neither does profit.

They then make a sequel that caters more to the original fans of the game, but release it on PSP in Japan only, instead of maybe also porting it to PS3, PSV, 3DS, ANYTHING. Finally, they released a ****ing browser-based game, again in Japanese only.

Quite frankly, Sega can go **** themselves for what they did to Valkyria Chronicles. We didn't get Valkyria Chronicles 3 because Sega is run by absolute morons, not because it wouldn't be profitable in the West. I haven't bought a single Sega game since I've known about this, despite how much I enjoyed Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. Can't wait for the fan-translation for VC3 to be finished, here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/
#82KaspaUFgatorPosted 2/6/2013 6:48:05 AM
Justice_Apollo posted...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/square-enix-stung-by-increasingly-difficult-console-market-6403413

lol
no, square enix, this is not the market's fault.
It's your fault for making so many crappy or mediocre games since the PS2.

Square-Enix... I know you wont but sit down and play Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and you will see what a good game is all about... thank you!
---
Gators, Yankees, Jets, and Knicks!!
#83DeathSnipe777Posted 2/6/2013 7:11:33 AM
What a shame. Square used to be my favorite gaming company in the pre FFX era, but since they merged with Enix they've become a bunch of greedy money hungry bastards that could give a crap about what the fans want. f*** them!!!

Funnily enough, the Enix side is just fine. It's the Square side that's gotten ridiculous.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
Steam / PSN / NNID: Marlouchu
#84Sir_HaxorPosted 2/6/2013 8:06:45 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Full-fledged "expansion packs" being marketed and sold as full retail games is not "DLC.

I guess I should have put "the SF4 series". People wanted more DLC. SSF4 had even more locked costumes, because that is what people asked for. If you know how a company does DLC and ask for more you know what you're going to get. When SSF4 AE came out it also had locked content. When you download the expansion it has the DLC costumes for the new characters locked inside it. Again, this is what happens when you ask a company known for locking content to make more DLC.

They delivered.. by locking $20 worth of content on the disc?

People wanted Capcom to stop doing disc based upgrades and do DLC. We all know how Capcom does DLC. Anyone with the IQ of a jar of mayonnaise should have been able to predict what was going to happen. I'm not sure how I'm the only one on GameFAQs that knew exactly what was going to happen BEFORE the 12 characters was announced, but some how once they said there wouldn't be a disc based expansion because the fans spoke out against it I knew what was going to happen. Once the characters were announced people still were some how shocked that they asked for DLC and Capcom delivered with the method they had been using since 2008.

Imagine this gigantic space between "horrible" and "over powered." There's this thing called "balance."

Imagine that there are people who play at tournaments so big the winner takes home $10,000. Sagat players were never successful at these tournaments. The people crying about Sagat were scrubs on X-Box Live who didn't know how to deal with Tiger Shots. 9/10 Sagats online couldn't even Tiger Uppercut -> FADC -> f+HK -> Ultra, which is so basic it isn't even Sagat 101, that's Street Fighter 4 101. Sagat had no tournament success, if ANYTHING needed to be done it was a simple health nerf with the rest left alone because Sagat players could get very reckless and not have to worry about health. When the character doesn't have the tools to win tournaments, he doesn't need the nerfs that the casual masses who don't know how to dodge a fireball demand. Capcom listened to the casual masses and gave them what they wanted (to include their Ken buffs) and the tournament scene spoke out when Sagat virtually disappeared until Arcade Edition came out. If you wanted "balance" in SF4 you wouldn't want vanilla Sagat touched. There are actually people who want vanilla Sagat back, because the game has evolved to the point that these are tools he needs to stand up against other characters. Just look at vanilla SF4 with Chun Li and Fei Long having infinites and try to justify Sagat being the best character in the game because his fireball is fast. If you even TRY to do that you show how little you know about it.

I play KOF so this was wasted on me. But a cool read despite that. Sounds like that Sentinel issue people had. Whiners are awesome.
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#85Gandalf the IstariPosted 2/6/2013 8:26:52 AM
Tomb Raider is not an SE game..... publishing =/= developing.
#86Sir_HaxorPosted 2/6/2013 8:30:16 AM
In other news, Capcom officially deemed RE6 a failure :)
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#87OoSubaruoOPosted 2/6/2013 9:39:50 AM
Gandalf the Istari posted...
Tomb Raider is not an SE game..... publishing =/= developing.

Eidos bought Crystal Dynamics, which is owned by Square Enix.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0605-4074-6062
#88pkmastah15Posted 2/6/2013 9:45:15 AM
DeathSnipe777 posted...
What a shame. Square used to be my favorite gaming company in the pre FFX era, but since they merged with Enix they've become a bunch of greedy money hungry bastards that could give a crap about what the fans want. f*** them!!!

Funnily enough, the Enix side is just fine. It's the Square side that's gotten ridiculous.

Enix isn't as bad as Square, but it's not like Enix is doing much either. The only thing that they're doing is Dragon Quest series, lots of remakes + new Dragon Quest games which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I do miss some of their other series like Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile.
#89Darkstorm16Posted 2/6/2013 9:49:33 AM
*sigh* Square-Enix....I remember buying games because I had faith in them. Now I only support it because of Kindgom Hearts, TWEWTY and Chrono Trigger DS. PS2 Final Fantasys were the last of the great in my opinion now they just feel....soul less. Then let us not forget what happened with the whole Secret of Mana...pretty awesome...then it just declines worse and worse. They have IOS all messed up...i mean gives you the first chapter free...(yay).......$4.99 to keep going...sure next thing you spend about $30 on a game that leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy I admit they have a good premise going on they just scam the IOS folks though. Through out the years I played every final fantasy game localized here in NA, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts and enjoyed every little bit.......now I'm converting to Atlus and Xseed because face it...atleast those games have originality and something most developers forget....something called "difficulty".
---
Current Systems: 3DS, DSlite, IPod Touch
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#90robulastagePosted 2/6/2013 11:23:37 PM
talesfan215 posted...
pkmastah15 posted...
MrKunio posted...
hyper kobun dash posted...
There's so much truth in this topic.

15 years ago, Square was on top of the world. Now they're just pathetic.

Damn ive never heard anything sound so right. I was there 15+ years ago when Square was tearing it up!

Einhander

Brave Fencer Musashi

Bushido Blade

Final Fantasy 7

Ehrgeiz

Parasite Eve

And thats just the latter 90's!!

The SNES was chock full of awesome squaresoft titles!!

You have some good tastes sir.

May I add some more hidden gems?

Chrono Cross (probably the greatest game of that gen for me)

Threads of Fate

Front Mission 3

Final Fantasy Tactics

Vagrant Story

SE is just a scrap of what Square used to be. Monolith is soon going to become the new Square in this gen at the current rate.

You guys listed most of my childhood right there.

Why isn't Brave Fencer Musashi on PNS?

Same here! I really miss all these titles.
---
3DS FC: 4253-3586-3727