Upgrade to XL

#1lt519Posted 2/5/2013 11:05:56 AM
Is it worth the upgrade to the XL from the original 3DS? Or should I wait and see if they go with dual analogs in a future release? I plan on picking up FE later today and thought the extra screen real estate might be nice. Any trade in deals?
#2XShadowX0Posted 2/5/2013 11:09:06 AM
it is worth it trust me
---
3DS FC:3239-2510-1061
#3Makeveli_livesPosted 2/5/2013 11:09:41 AM
Or should I wait and see if they go with dual analogs in a future release?

Oh for the love of...They are never going to release a dual analog 3DS. There are like a dozen games total that even make use of the damn thing.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292 6142 0263
3DS FC: 0087 2410 1340
#4DogscratchPosted 2/5/2013 11:13:13 AM
The upgrade question is asked quite a few times here in the run of a day, and tend to get a lot of varied and sometimes colourful responses.

I am unsure if they will ever include a 2nd hardware analogue stick/button on a hardware level. They seem quite content and happy with the CPP accessory. I am unsure if any device iteration from Nintendo in the past has added a major hardware component on a product refresh. Not looking at addons like DSi camera, but fundamental controller changes. Like extra shoulder buttons, or in this case a second analogue stick/button..

Personally I upgraded from my classic 3ds to the XL and enjoy it. I prefer the matte finish, I prefer the larger screen, I prefer the stylus placement, I prefer the longer battery life, I personally find the 3d effect works better for me on the XL.
---
Machine meat and Blood in an intimate relationship
The new superior more effective then all the preceding
#5lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 11:47:38 AM(edited)
Dogscratch posted...
The upgrade question is asked quite a few times here in the run of a day, and tend to get a lot of varied and sometimes colourful responses.

I am unsure if they will ever include a 2nd hardware analogue stick/button on a hardware level. They seem quite content and happy with the CPP accessory. I am unsure if any device iteration from Nintendo in the past has added a major hardware component on a product refresh. Not looking at addons like DSi camera, but fundamental controller changes. Like extra shoulder buttons, or in this case a second analogue stick/button..

Personally I upgraded from my classic 3ds to the XL and enjoy it. I prefer the matte finish, I prefer the larger screen, I prefer the stylus placement, I prefer the longer battery life, I personally find the 3d effect works better for me on the XL.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. Yeah, I don't keep up on the 3DS hardware news so I wasn't sure if there was anything in the pipeline for the refresh of the system.

How much better is the battery life? Did you trade in your other 3DS, sell it on ebay? In the end how much did the upgrade run you? I like the idea of a bigger screen and better battery life, even though I play it pretty much exclusively at home.

Edit: Also would I lose any digital downloads on my original 3DS or do they carry over with my ID?
#6DogscratchPosted 2/5/2013 11:56:43 AM
lt519 posted...

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. Yeah, I don't keep up on the 3DS hardware news so I wasn't sure if there was anything in the pipeline for the refresh of the system.

How much better is the battery life? Did you trade in your other 3DS, sell it on ebay? In the end how much did the upgrade run you? I like the idea of a bigger screen and better battery life, even though I play it pretty much exclusively at home.

Edit: Also would I lose any digital downloads on my original 3DS or do they carry over with my ID?

No problem, too many people willing to pull the trigger on here for one reason or another..

I find I get 1-2 hours more out of the XL on a single charge, personally one of the most valuable resources for any portable device is battery life, again this is varied by user settings and individual settings/preference. Some report 30 minutes extra so a wide range of times have been cited on these forums.

I had the limited edition zelda 3ds(Gasp, I know not supposed to sell this - but I really don't care for CE things any more) and I flipped it for around $300 on a local craigslist type deal. I bought the XL on sale for $160 at Future Shop. The XL seems to go on sale on occasion to $160-$170. I believe someone said Gamestop gives ~$40 in trade for a 3DS and occasionally double it up to $80 if you trade on a new console.

Your digital purchases will not carry over automagically - you need to go through a convoluted transfer process (not difficult, but you physically need to have both on hand in order to do the transfer) Nintendo does not keep titles linked to your account, they are linked to your hardware.

There are some guides/stories on here about people being able to transfer all your data from old 3DS to new 3DS XL - if you happen to be an ambassador you also can do this transfer of your old games to the new. Just search for "3DS Transfer" there may even be something in the sticky.
---
#7lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:05:25 PM
Thanks again, very useful information and killer use of the word automagically. I'll probably go for it, seeing as it will be my primary handheld for the next few years. I made it through the DS lifespan with my original Mario Kart red DS, but this time I think I'll jump on the XL bandwagon.
#8DogscratchPosted 2/5/2013 12:18:16 PM
lt519 posted...
Thanks again, very useful information and killer use of the word automagically. I'll probably go for it, seeing as it will be my primary handheld for the next few years. I made it through the DS lifespan with my original Mario Kart red DS, but this time I think I'll jump on the XL bandwagon.

My pleasure,

No regrets here, I would have paid for the upgrade if I didn't get such a favourable sale for my Zelda 3DS. I am that content with it :)

If you were looking at selling, i'd check craigslist in your area to see current selling prices, or go for ebay if that was your thing. Generally you will do better through a private sale then trading it in.

Just a heads up if you want to trade in at Gamestop, unless they have wifi at the store they probably will not let you take home both units to do a system transfer. Just something to keep in mind if you go that avenue.

I was in a similar boat with my DS Lite - DSi didn't appeal to me and almost pulled the trigger on DSi XL for Dragon Quest IX, however I didn't. This time around I am happy I went with it.
---
#9NeonYoshi11Posted 2/5/2013 6:50:48 PM
I'm playing on a black 3DS and it looks awesome. I'm guessing it would look even better on an XL but it's fine on the regular version.