Original 3DS owners: Your reasons for not getting the 3DS XL

#1AnclationPosted 2/6/2013 6:22:44 AM
Personally, as someone owns an Aqua Blue 3DS, there are a couple of reasons the XL has never really appealed to me. For starters, none of the improvements over the regular 3DS are impressive enough to make it a must-buy: The screen is a lot bigger, sure, but I have small hands, so the increased size is overall something of a mixed blessing as far as I'm concerned. Also, the original 3DS is not DS Phat; the screen was already satisfactory, so there was less of a need for an upgrade to begin with. What was not satisfactory was the battery life, but in that respect the XL is not much of an improvement (it offers what, 1 hour longer battery life if you have 3D on at max?).

There are also other issues that make me hesitant to buy an XL at this point: The color selection is very weak (I don't like any of its current colors), and the inferior speakers are definitely an issue as well. Some of the topics on this board also make we wonder about the XL's durability compared to the regular 3DS. Considering how the XL is still pretty expensive (and no, for a number of reasons I will not be trading in my old 3DS), it doesn't really seem worth it to me. That doesn't I won't ever get a 3DS XL though. Another price cut, new colors, or a new model with better speakers and/or better battery life could all make me more likely to get one.

As for you other board users sticking with your regular 3DS systems, what are your reasons for not getting an XL?
#2LhunthangionPosted 2/6/2013 6:27:22 AM
I bought the 3DS when it first came out at the $249.99 price point. I didn't feel like shelling out another $200 bucks for slightly larger screen. I figure at some point, they'll make another version of the 3DS with better changes (hopefully changes to the speakers), which is when I'll make another purchase.
---
I AM ERROR.
#3thompsontalker7Posted 2/6/2013 6:27:28 AM
Most reasonable answer is that they don't want to spend money on it because they have a perfectly working regular 3DS

Most unreasonable is saying stuff like "It's not that big of an improvement" or "there's gonna be a new model coming out anyways". Did that stop people from buying a DS Lite or DSi?
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK THY HAND IN TV, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!
#4ZERO2936Posted 2/6/2013 6:28:03 AM
Don't have enough money yet.
#5prinnylord1Posted 2/6/2013 6:36:17 AM
It kinda kills the portablility, the biggest thing about handhelds I love.
---
A great game doesn't need "fancy voices" and "mindblowing graphics"
PSN stckman1 SSBB FC 0817-5697-7516
#6korn_craze101Posted 2/6/2013 6:36:20 AM
Because I already own a 3ds which I'm cool with and its the Legend of Zelda edition
---
PsN~ garabel713
#7thompsontalker7Posted 2/6/2013 6:37:28 AM
prinnylord1 posted...
It kinda kills the portablility, the biggest thing about handhelds I love.

I'm able to carry a 3DS XL and a Vita (obviously not at the same time) around with me no problem, so can others.
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK THY HAND IN TV, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!
#8CrimsonRoyalPosted 2/6/2013 6:42:54 AM
There's no significant improvements except for the huge screens.
#9Nickcool1996Posted 2/6/2013 6:48:02 AM
Too big.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o451/Behiimosu/dickkick.jpg
#10n00bsaib0tPosted 2/6/2013 6:51:27 AM
thompsontalker7 posted...
Most reasonable answer is that they don't want to spend money on it because they have a perfectly working regular 3DS

Most unreasonable is saying stuff like "It's not that big of an improvement" or "there's gonna be a new model coming out anyways". Did that stop people from buying a DS Lite or DSi?

It's not that big of an improvement though. Really you're just trading one set of flaws for another. There is no superior model yet, it's all about what fits in your hands comfortably at this point.

3DS flaws - self scratching screen, home/start/select buttons, glossy finish shows finger prints like crazy

XL flaws - yellow tint screens, quiet speakers, flimsy casing, even with a perfect screen the 3DS games are slightly more pixilated (still look great though)

Some of those (self scratch, yellow tint, flimsy case) aren't experienced by all users. But when you look at the flaws you can't really say it's all improvement. That's why I stuck with my classic model. Crank out a "perfect" 3DS with the XL's home/start/select buttons, a non gloss paint job, and the ability to show the game on a larger screen with the beauty of the vanilla 3DS screenand I'll hand over my money gladly.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile