Am I the only one who thinks the 3D is incredible?

#41n00bsaib0tPosted 2/8/2013 12:04:23 AM
Not to mention, Nintendo abandoned it in everything but name only, and if they had to re-do the 3DS knowing what they know now, they wouldn't have wasted money on that gimmick.

1- 3D isn't a gimmick. Gimmicks don't stick around this long. Movies are being shot in 3D, channels are broadcasting in 3D, 3DTVs are replacing HDTVs. 3D isn't laser disc, it isn't going away. It might not be on the next Nintendo handheld, but it wasn't a gimmick. I think you need a dictionary so you can learn what the word "gimmick" means.

2- Nintendo got the screens cheap, it was hardly a waste of money.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#42xenos74Posted 2/8/2013 12:18:35 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Not to mention, Nintendo abandoned it in everything but name only, and if they had to re-do the 3DS knowing what they know now, they wouldn't have wasted money on that gimmick.

1- 3D isn't a gimmick. Gimmicks don't stick around this long. Movies are being shot in 3D, channels are broadcasting in 3D, 3DTVs are replacing HDTVs. 3D isn't laser disc, it isn't going away. It might not be on the next Nintendo handheld, but it wasn't a gimmick. I think you need a dictionary so you can learn what the word "gimmick" means.

Well actually, 3D is a gimmick. In regards to 3DS, it is a good gimmick considering it's the first device to use glasses-free 3D tech. Nay Sayers will still give you a hundred reasons why its bad, to that I say just use the slider to turn it off. A great deal of people will tell you it really adds to immersion and even helps with game play by adding depth.

It really all comes down to implementation. In theaters, they mostly use it for those pop out effects and they mostly feel forced. A good movie that did 3D effectively (IMO) was Avatar.

I hope Nintendo keeps 3D in future handhelds but I also won't moan if they remove it. At the end of the day , I'm playing the games for my entertainment and, for the most part, 1st party games do not disappoint
#43SoeroahPosted 2/8/2013 1:05:26 AM
It's certainly better than most forms of inexpensive 3D I've seen, and I like how the image sinks into the screen instead of popping out, but I don't have it on all that often.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#44CubeTVPosted 2/8/2013 2:34:45 AM
I personally LOVE the 3D and was one of the reasons I bought one. I have horrible vision but when I see the 3D effect on the 3DS, it makes me feel like my vision isn't complete crap. It makes me feel good about myself knowing that.
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#45iMURDAuPosted 2/8/2013 3:29:01 AM
Stopped in to say, got New SMB2 yesterday, awful use of 3D but a fun game to play.
---
"I'm saying people outside GameFAQs didn't care when Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled." horror_spooky
#46ferofaxPosted 2/8/2013 7:29:26 AM
Razieru posted...
Hell, even developers don't parade around with such an insignificant gimmick. Game play before gimmicks is how it truly works.

That's because they don't know what to do with it. Nintendo does, and then everyone else picked up on it and learned from it. Else, touch screen gaming wouldn't have lifted off. Motion controls wouldn't have proliferated.

Hell, d-pad controls was a gimmick then when everything used joysticks. Now every game console has at least one iteration of a d-pad.

Gimmicks done well shines very, very bright.
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#47n00bsaib0tPosted 2/8/2013 7:50:19 AM
Well actually, 3D is a gimmick. In regards to 3DS, it is a good gimmick considering it's the first device to use glasses-free 3D tech.

Evo 3D. It's an Android phone, it has a 3D on/off switch, the camera can take 3D pictures, and the screen displays 3D on all supported apps, yes there are 3D games on Android.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#48Steve_TeddiePosted 2/8/2013 7:58:50 AM

"Gimmick - A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business"

Umm, who needs a dictionary here pal?
---
http://i.imgur.com/J7RZm.gif http://i.minus.com/jdhz8Qk44JjS5.jpg http://i.minus.com/ibvmrm7irgmmJM.gif
#49n00bsaib0tPosted 2/8/2013 8:23:16 AM
"Gimmick - A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business"

Umm, who needs a dictionary here pal?

Explain how 3D falls into any of that. 3D is replacing HD, it will end up being the standard just like HD replaced our old tube TVs. If it was some gimmick it would have disappeared in 2009 after Avatar, but it's still alive and well in 2013.

Just because 3D on a hand held wasn't as well received as Nintendo had hoped doesn't mean it was a gimmick. I don't get people like you. No one was screaming "GIMMICK!" when Sony put the 3D compatibility patch on PSN, no one was screaming "GIMMICK!" when Ed Boon said Mortal Kombat (2011) was going to support 3D. What makes you think that the 3DS is a gimmick?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#50MinamoPosted 2/8/2013 8:27:36 AM
Once my eyes got used to it, it kinda feels... boring. The only games to truly WOW me are still Pilotwings Resort's fire from the Rocketbelt, as it was the first game I played on the 3DS, and the AR cards. I miss the when using the 3DS for extended periods made text on websites look 3D despite not being 3D.

That being said, it's always pumped to the max as long as the game runs fine with it (Code of Princess ran like a bucket of ****s when 3D was turned on).