was the gameboy color an upgrade or a new console?

#1chstarPosted 2/7/2013 5:19:26 PM
Just a quick question. I always considered the gameboy and gameboy color to be relatively their own systems. In that the gameboy had many upgrades, such as the gameboy pocket being the gba SP or DS lite version of the gameboy. But I always saw the gameboy color as "next gen." Since obviously it could play games the gameboy couldn't, while systems like the GBA SP and DS lite could only play games the original models they were based off of could. however I have heard many say that the gameboy color was just an upgrade to the gameboy in the same vain the DSi was to the DS. There may not be one factual answer. but what is the general consensus on this?

gameboy
--gameboy pocket
--gameboy light

gameboy color

gameboy advance
--gameboy advance SP
--gameboy advance micro

DS
--DS light
--DSi
--DSi XL

3DS
--3DS XL
#2Rizaadon007Posted 2/7/2013 5:25:12 PM(edited)
I'd say it's basically the same thing with the DSi, with it's own exclusive games that can't be played on the previous version and games that CAN be played on the previous version, but with bonuses exclusive to the new one. (Think Pokemon G/S, with the infrared sensor used for Mystery gift, similar to the camera features in Pokemon Black and White. Or Link's Awakening DX, with the Color dungeon.)
---
"Welcome to the Velvet Monorail! This place resides between Dream and Universal Studios!" -Cantido on how the Velvet Room changes from game to game.
#3marioparty17Posted 2/7/2013 5:21:23 PM
A new "handheld" it could play past gb games, but it got it own lineup, being the pokemon games.
---
3DS FC 2535-3692-1887 PSN : MARIOPARTY17
He covered from head to toe in weaponary, like a rainbow apocalypses - Viridi Goddess of Nature from KI:U
#4DarkstarRipclawPosted 2/7/2013 5:24:46 PM
Upgrade. Pokemon Gold and Silver could be played on a monochrome system (Crystal could not). A lot of GBC games could be played on a monochrome system, only ones with the clear cartridge were GBC-only.
---
Wish Upon a Darkstar
Owner of Board 822, Gensokyo
#5FuzzyJelloPosted 2/7/2013 5:26:39 PM
It counts as it's own system, since it's actually a stronger piece of hardware. Think Gamecube to Wii, though not quite as drastic.
#6iMURDAuPosted 2/7/2013 6:14:54 PM
It had more exclusives than just Pokemon games. Metal Gear Solid, SMB Deluxe, and Mario Golf are all highly rated games.
---
"I'm saying people outside GameFAQs didn't care when Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled." horror_spooky
#7DeathSoul2000Posted 2/7/2013 6:18:22 PM
i'm sure it was a whole new system, i mean gameboy had been out for over a decade by that time as it is. i'm pretty sure it was more than just color, i think it had more power, even if it was barely shown off.
#8pokemon2pokerPosted 2/7/2013 6:21:06 PM
New console: the gb couldn't play gbc games.
---
Suikoden 6 please.
People who agree: 5
#9Shadow-AngelPosted 2/7/2013 6:26:34 PM
pokemon2poker posted...
New console: the gb couldn't play gbc games.

Yes it could. It only couldn't play the games with clear cartridges, which weren't that many.
---
The power you seek lies within you.
#10chstar(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 7:51:27 PM
responses seem to be a bit varied, I guess it's debatable. But honestly I do feel like its its own system