Etrian Odyssey 4 - not too impressed

#21pokemon2pokerPosted 2/8/2013 1:26:14 AM
yab posted...

I'd love to see your rpg resume

I started with Bard's Tale, Ultima, Wizardry, etc. Same style of play as the EO series. Also played most RPGs from NES onward. Not all of course, I didn't have every system

O_O Ultima?! Quest for the Avatar was technically my first rpg, although I really didn't know what I was doing back then...
---
Suikoden 6 please.
People who agree: 6
#22FefnirOmega13Posted 2/8/2013 1:35:16 AM
This is what happens when you do not do the research.

It's alright to not like the game genre, it's hard as nails and it's not for everyone, but the blame lies with you TC for not doing research into the series as a whole.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#23ferofaxPosted 2/8/2013 1:36:50 AM
jedinat posted...
yab posted...

I'd love to see your rpg resume

I started with Bard's Tale, Ultima, Wizardry, etc. Same style of play as the EO series. Also played most RPGs from NES onward. Not all of course, I didn't have every system

I used to play Bard's Tale and various other "old school" PC games/RPGs... Etrian Odyssey bores me out of my mind. Exploration was done that way back then because it was one of the few ways they could manage it... today I just think it's primitive and don't know why some people still eat it up... It'd be different if there was some engaging narrative or something, but.... just random corridors and random encounters? Ugh.

Again, it's not for everyone. If you can't appreciate the game style, then it certainly is not for you.
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#24GloryChaosPosted 2/8/2013 1:37:40 AM
No research needs to be done though. You're free to just hop into a series and experience it first hand. That's what I did with EOIII and probably what I'm gonna do with Gates to Infinity.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#25jedinatPosted 2/8/2013 1:38:16 AM
FefnirOmega13 posted...

It's alright to not like the game genre, it's hard as nails and it's not for everyone, but the blame lies with you TC for not doing research into the series as a whole.

So... he should research a game before playing a DEMO? That seems a little excessive. Hah.
#26aak57Posted 2/8/2013 1:41:10 AM
Today we have learned that niche games appeal to a specific, small audience.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#27FefnirOmega13Posted 2/8/2013 1:43:41 AM
jedinat posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...

So... he should research a game before playing a DEMO? That seems a little excessive. Hah.

It's inexcusable, made even less so in that there have been three games in the series before this one. A youtube of "etrian odyssey gameplay" yields dozens upon dozens (actually, 377, but that's more than enough) of results. They play similar to one another, the only difference being that later games are more polished- it's not like comparing Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart where the gameplay is totally different.

It's akin to buying Fire Emblem: Awakening, and then complaining because you can't play as Hector or Dozla or whatever.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#28jedinatPosted 2/8/2013 1:46:13 AM(edited)
FefnirOmega13 posted...
jedinat posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...

It's inexcusable, made even less so in that there have been three games in the series before this one. A youtube of "etrian odyssey gameplay" yields dozens upon dozens (actually, 377, but that's more than enough) of results. They play similar to one another, the only difference being that later games are more polished- it's not like comparing Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart where the gameplay is totally different.

It's akin to buying Fire Emblem: Awakening, and then complaining because you can't play as Hector or Dozla or whatever.

I hope this is trolling... you do realize that playing a demo IS researching a game? In fact better research than looking up videos, lol...
#29Rpgaddict_22Posted 2/8/2013 1:56:10 AM
blackweasel30 posted...
I was excited to try it out so I booted it up. The menu system was good, graphics were great. Then I got to the first forest and saw the attrocious exploring style and was immediately turned off. It was horrendous.

Thoughts?

TC, you should've watched its gameplay first in youtube or somethin before you bought it. EO is known for that kind of exploring style.
---
Mess with the best, die like the rest..
#30RazieruPosted 2/8/2013 1:57:06 AM
jedinat posted...
I hope this is trolling...

I'd like you to meet Fe Fe.

you do realize that playing a demo IS researching a game?

Fe Fe never thinks before posting. It's more like misplaced hate. You're talking logic to the wall.

In fact better research than looking up videos, lol...

Yeah, by dear Fe Fe's and everyone else's decree who is equally know it all-ish, people should get shunned for not following their wonderful ideals.

Hell, if he bothered to actually READ posts before seeing the usual red, he'd see that the demos, albeit limited as hell, ARE THE RESEARCH. I mean, everybody else knows that.
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.