Etrian Odyssey 4 - not too impressed

#31FefnirOmega13Posted 2/8/2013 2:01:32 AM
jedinat posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...
jedinat posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...
This is what happens when you do not do the research.

It's alright to not like the game genre, it's hard as nails and it's not for everyone, but the blame lies with you TC for not doing research into the series as a whole.

So... he should research a game before playing a DEMO? That seems a little excessive. Hah.

It's inexcusable, made even less so in that there have been three games in the series before this one. A youtube of "etrian odyssey gameplay" yields dozens upon dozens (actually, 377, but that's more than enough) of results. They play similar to one another, the only difference being that later games are more polished- it's not like comparing Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart where the gameplay is totally different.

It's akin to buying Fire Emblem: Awakening, and then complaining because you can't play as Hector or Dozla or whatever.

I hope this is trolling... you do realize that playing a demo IS researching a game? In fact better research than looking up videos, lol...

Which would wash if it were a brand new game series, but again, there have been three games before this one.

Watching thirty seconds to a couple of minutes of gameplay will prepare you for a game better than playing a demo uninformed of the gameplay and then complaining that you weren't expected for it.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#32FefnirOmega13Posted 2/8/2013 2:03:48 AM
Razieru posted...
jedinat posted...
I hope this is trolling...

I'd like you to meet Fe Fe.

you do realize that playing a demo IS researching a game?

Fe Fe never thinks before posting. It's more like misplaced hate. You're talking logic to the wall.

In fact better research than looking up videos, lol...

Yeah, by dear Fe Fe's and everyone else's decree who is equally know it all-ish, people should get shunned for not following their wonderful ideals.

Hell, if he bothered to actually READ posts before seeing the usual red, he'd see that the demos, albeit limited as hell, ARE THE RESEARCH. I mean, everybody else knows that.

Heeeey, it's ravioli! Another guy that doesn't do any research and spews twaddle as fact!
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#33RazieruPosted 2/8/2013 2:07:17 AM
FefnirOmega13 posted...
Heeeey, it's ravioli! Another guy that doesn't do any research and spews twaddle as fact!

Um, need some help with the asinine and incredibly mediocre insults and trolling art form there? I have a thesaurus to start you off....

Anyway, give your "logic" a rest already. It won't make it any believable to us either.
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.
#34yabPosted 2/8/2013 2:17:47 AM
That's a hell of a resume. Have you played Legend of Grimrock and SMT: Strange Journey?

played Strange Journey but not Legend of Grimrock. Looks interesting.
---
#35legendarylemurPosted 2/8/2013 2:32:38 AM
yab posted...
That's a hell of a resume. Have you played Legend of Grimrock and SMT: Strange Journey?

played Strange Journey but not Legend of Grimrock. Looks interesting.

It has a lot of really hard puzzles, and the battles are sort of real-time. I like Strange Journey better though
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
CLICK HERE FOR FAME AND GLORY
#36AkaneJonesPosted 2/8/2013 2:44:25 AM
Kira_Elric2 posted...
saint35 posted...
I could never really get into this series. You have to use a guide to get specific builds for characters in order to get through the game. If you don't have any idea of what you're doing with a build in the game then the game becomes ten times harder. Which is saying a lot because the games are immensely difficult even when using a guide. It's just poor game design honestly. You NEVER should have to use a guide to get past a mandatory part of a game.

Well, technically you don't NEED to use a guide, as there's this little thing called Trial and Error. I'm in no way advocating this time of gameplay style as I myself dislike wasting time needlessly trying to figure out optimal builds, but how else do you think people are even able to come up with the optimal builds in the first place?

More to the point I played the entire first game blind and never use immunize. And only use Antis on the post game dragons when I found it impossible to beat without them. No, no, actually tried to calculate if I could rack up enough damage output. Wasn't happening, so I had to sacrifice Smite from my Protector for Antis. Saved alot of trouble on the last floors.

The thing is I didn't look at anything intil the post game and didn't have a problem. I never rebuilt a character until level 70 cap post game. And I only had one of each class, with the exception of two Dark Hunters one for Drain on for binds, which worked for different party set ups. I didn't even grind, outside of item to unlock stuff and snagging cash from resource points. All I needed to do was swap my parties around..

If I could do that for EO1 you can do that for both EO3 & 4. EO2 is abit tricky but that's because they went and messed over previous party setups. As such FOE are only fought for items.
#37badboyPosted 2/8/2013 3:36:48 AM
This type of games is made for a specific audience, not for everyone.
#38IHeartMetroidPosted 2/8/2013 3:49:58 AM
So, TC, you've tried out one style of game.

A game that is deliberately designed a certain way, creating to appeal to a small niche audience (one that apparently seems to be growing).

And you didn't like it.

And that's fine.

Not everyone enjoys difficult, strategy heavy classic first person style RPG games like Etrian Odyssey IV. We all have different tastes.

The trick is to acknowledge that, as a game designed for a specific audience, that game succeeds immensely in what it was meant to be. Basically, acknowledge that the game isn't a bad game- it's just not a game meant to appeal to you. That way you can find a title you like without trying to pressure companies to change the existing titles in ways that dilute the things people love about them.

Myself, I adore this game. I mean, I love every single aspect of it. The fear of FOEs, the careful mapping, the adorable avatars, all of it. I've been playing Etrian Odyssey ever since it popped onto the original DS as a little known Atlus title and have been waiting for this particular game ever since I got my 3DS.

And that's fine too.

I hope you find a style of game that better suits your particular tastes.
---
Currently ignoring 2 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#39pokemon2pokerPosted 2/8/2013 3:52:41 AM
Razieru posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...

Um, need some help with the asinine and incredibly mediocre insults and trolling art form there? I have a thesaurus to start you off....

Anyway, give your "logic" a rest already. It won't make it any believable to us either.

This guy :)
---
Suikoden 6 please.
People who agree: 6
#40G1ingyPosted 2/8/2013 3:59:18 AM(edited)
I am....so disappointed with people in this thread.

Can't see your characters? Dislike the exploration style? Dislike the first-person perpective? Is your creative imagination dead?! You must put yourself into your party's mind!

And Strange Journey having a story? Keep telling yourself that...