Why is using a walkthrough on first playthrough frowned upon?

#1Oakland510_Posted 2/8/2013 3:17:55 AM
I'm the type of gamer who cares about the story and the gameplay would just be an added bonus. I don't use walkthroughs/guides for games like Elder Scrolls, Deus Ex:Revolutions, The Witcher, shooters, Mass Effect, etc. but for games like Final Fantasy, Zelda:OOT, Persona 4, Tales of the Abyss, etc. I feel like I need a guide for those type of games otherwise I'll miss a crapload of stuff and if I have a feeling that I'm missing a lot then I won't have the motivation to continue with the game. That's what I'm currently feeling right now. I am constantly changing between Zelda:OOT, Tales of the Abyss and Persona 4:Golden right now but not using a guide for all of them makes me quit playing them.
#2FindmeElseweyrPosted 2/8/2013 3:32:25 AM
Replay value, Player skill, entertainment, etc.

Why would you replay the game if you 100% it the first time, with all characters having maxed stats, all puzzles instantly solve-able, yadda yadda.

Also, if you're going to end up using a walkthrough for the entire game, why bother playing the game to begin with? Why not just watch someone else play the game and save your money?

There are going to be things you miss, and there are going to be mistakes you make, and paths you should've taken, and choices you regret.. and you learn from those mistakes, and you become more thorough. Instead of wiping on the first real encounter, you know how to build your team and how to fight. Instead of spending 6 hours pushing that same block back and forth, you know exactly where everything should go, and you can whizz through those parts.

It's just that much more satisfying because you did it on your OWN. Achievement. etc.
---
Mee wurst troll evurr nobuddy pay brijj tole me nott sceary enuf
#3kaliskonigPosted 2/8/2013 4:10:28 AM
It shouldn't be. if you want to use a guide go ahead. a lot of reasons why people give on why it is frowned upon is baseless elitist crap. When I was younger I loved buying a guide for RPG's on release day or even bought the guide before hand to see what I was in for. although id only use them if i was truly stuck or as item and character guides mostly.

Claiming it kills replay value is bull.
#4xxxRemmyxxxPosted 2/8/2013 4:30:09 AM
Spoilers. Nobody want's spoilers their first time playing a game. It takes away from the experience. I do use a guide on occasion if I get stuck at a puzzle I can't solve or something, but I tend to avoid plot spoilers whenever possible. Second time through though, I don't have a problem using a guide.
#5Kira_Elric2Posted 2/8/2013 4:40:22 AM
FindmeElseweyr posted...
Replay value, Player skill, entertainment, etc.

Why would you replay the game if you 100% it the first time, with all characters having maxed stats, all puzzles instantly solve-able, yadda yadda.

Also, if you're going to end up using a walkthrough for the entire game, why bother playing the game to begin with? Why not just watch someone else play the game and save your money?

There are going to be things you miss, and there are going to be mistakes you make, and paths you should've taken, and choices you regret.. and you learn from those mistakes, and you become more thorough. Instead of wiping on the first real encounter, you know how to build your team and how to fight. Instead of spending 6 hours pushing that same block back and forth, you know exactly where everything should go, and you can whizz through those parts.

It's just that much more satisfying because you did it on your OWN. Achievement. etc.

I know it's a no brainer, but everything you posted is pure opinion, and I pretty much am complete opposite on most of them. If I don't want to play a game again after getting 100%, I very highly doubt I would've wanted to play it again even without 100%. And if I didn't have sufficient motivation to get 100% the first playthough, I didn't care about 100% in the first place.

I don't want my only motivation for playing a game over again to be to find this one little side quest or special item. I hate Tales of the Abyss for this exact reason! There are so many missable sidequests and most of them your average player won't even find when it comes to a normal playthrough without a guide or talking to every NPC multiple times!

I want my motivation for a replay to be a really great story that I want to experience again, or great gameplay that keeps me wanting to come back. Or, better yet, different choices that affect the overall story. Even better still different classes that play differently that I want to play all different styles

However, I do agree when it comes to puzzles, though, that not using a guide to solve puzzles, especially with really big brain teasers, feels so good. Finding that one item hidden on an invisible square in a nook that you have to go way out of your way to find? Not so much.
#6blunderminePosted 2/8/2013 6:09:16 AM(edited)
Oakland510_ posted...
I'm the type of gamer who cares about the story and the gameplay would just be an added bonus. I don't use walkthroughs/guides for games like Elder Scrolls, Deus Ex:Revolutions, The Witcher, shooters, Mass Effect, etc. but for games like Final Fantasy, Zelda:OOT, Persona 4, Tales of the Abyss, etc. I feel like I need a guide for those type of games otherwise I'll miss a crapload of stuff and if I have a feeling that I'm missing a lot then I won't have the motivation to continue with the game. That's what I'm currently feeling right now. I am constantly changing between Zelda:OOT, Tales of the Abyss and Persona 4:Golden right now but not using a guide for all of them makes me quit playing them.

For anything game with puzzle elements like Zelda, using a guide is basically admitting you can't beat the game if you're using it to solve the puzzles. As far as I know, nothing is missable in the game so you can use the guide when you finish the game to get anything you missed.

For TotA, you're not supposed to get everything on the first playthrough, Many tales games are impossible to 100% even on 2 playthroughs.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#7ferofaxPosted 2/8/2013 6:18:35 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8GenericName9Posted 2/8/2013 6:43:11 AM
The reward one gets from a video game is a sense of accomplishment, meeting a challenge and overcoming it. If you negate that challenge then it's no different than watching a movie really. I don't judge anyone for using a guide first time around, It does'nt really hurt me, but I get sad to see people cheat themselves out of the FULL experience like that.

I don't view it as a task that I have to endure to find every little nook and crannie. To me "secret searching" is a fun game within a game, I would spend literally hundreds of hours in Doom shooting walls looking for discrepancies in the texturing or lighting and the game would actually rate you on finding secrets.

In my early teens there was no such thing as walkthroughs or cheat codes, games like Super Mario Bros and Castlevania you had to find it yourself and the feeling you got when you did find a warp pipe or breakable wall was pure elation. I remember some games like Guardian Legend it was'nt unusual to be stuck on one part for weeks sometimes. Among my friends that is how we judged skill, no one told how to do it, but people would ask if you found "such and such" and if you did you were a "master". Some kids could and some kids could'nt save the princess, everyone wanted to, I had friends who would get perpetually stuck and shelve a game NEVER finishing.

The whole purpose of any game is to challenge yourself, and that is what makes it fun. You don't start up a game of Monopoly already owning Boardwalk with 5 hotels or already owning the bank, that's not fun, that just breaks the game. Or in Chess or Cards people work hard to develop their skills as players, no one would allow someone to start the game with 2 Queens instead of 1 just because they were'nt willing to invest the time to develop skills at the game.

To each their own I guess it does'nt hurt me if I'm not playing WITH them. I just don't understand why someone would shortchange themselves of the experience and accomplishment. I know especially nowadays when you see developers actually telling players how to solve a puzzle before the game even hits the shelves that it's difficult to resist the temptation to use a crutch though, especially if a person has always known the industry to be the way it is now. I miss the old days sometimes when you did'nt even know about a game or sequel coming out until one day at the store: "WoW!" it was like X-mas, and then you'd spend the next couple months finding EVERYTHING there was to find in the game. I've seen some kids now that will plow through a whole game in one day and then on to the next, I don't play just to get to the end, I actually enjoy the journey, when the journey ends that means the fun is over.
---
If you were a boss I'd deathmatch ya in a minute!
#9VampireRoninPosted 2/8/2013 6:57:07 AM
I don't frown upon it. If that's what you want to do, you're ok with me.

I just don't use them unless I am completely stuck, in which case I will still probably try again and again and again 20 times before I resort to checking a walkthrough. I don't like to spoil a game's surprises and I like to do everything on my own. It's who I am.
---
"Time to fry, yeah, FRY BABY!!!"
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/memjr/purge.jpg
#10streamakoPosted 2/8/2013 7:00:17 AM
Who cares if it's "frowned" upon. Do what you wanna do to enjoy the games you bought with your hard earned money.