In defense of the people who dislike first person dungeon crawling...

#1Puzzles99Posted 2/8/2013 2:04:42 PM
While it may be more immersive to play from a first person perspective, and while it makes sense that you don't see ranged characters attacking, you should still see your fellow melee characters in the front row charging forward and striking the enemy rather than just some white slash appear on the screen if you are using the "more immersive" defense.

So while it is a conscious decision by the developer to use a first person perspective, it is still SOMEWHAT lazy to not show melee attacks of party members from your point of view.

Commence the rabble rabble rabbling and quote wars.
#2LemonKweenstaaaPosted 2/8/2013 2:08:26 PM
But I like to imagine that I am the swordsman.

Seeing the character charging the enemy would break the immersion.
---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
http://i45.tinypic.com/35i4xlc.jpg
#3toadiemanPosted 2/8/2013 2:09:08 PM
I see characters slashing in my head dreams.
---
PSN: toadieman
#4surferguy7Posted 2/8/2013 2:11:15 PM
Since when did this board decide to get pissed about first-person dungeon crawling?

*Looks down at 100+ post topic*

As always, a single negative comment throws an entire board into a frenzy.
---
This is the internet, all opinions are considered invalid.
#5Puzzles99(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 2:17:20 PM
LemonKweenstaaa posted...
But I like to imagine that I am the swordsman.

Seeing the character charging the enemy would break the immersion.

Yes, YOU are the swordsman, but you aren't ALSO the other two swordsmen in your front line of your party. Unless you like to imagine you are Agent Smith from the Matrix and and meld into other bodies.
#6Fierce_Deity_08Posted 2/8/2013 2:39:58 PM
I like games that let you toggle it on and off. I like seeing through my character's eyes, but there are times when I like to see my character running with the group.
---
Frog in the Moonlight.
With a roar of thunder and crash of lightning, I am Fierce Deity!
#7IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/8/2013 2:40:54 PM
I don't like the perspective either, since I can't look around like in modern FP games so it breaks immersion easily. And it just feels clunky.
#8Semi45aPosted 2/8/2013 3:44:54 PM
Mudds are awesome
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#9jedinatPosted 2/8/2013 4:29:58 PM
The devs are lazy and cheap, releasing the same dang game for the 4th time (I assume we're talking about Etrian). Instead of this low budget grid copy-pasta... how about a generated dungeon system that sort of functions like Minecraft... with real time exploration (spelunking!) and an encounter system like DQIX. It'd only have to generate one "floor" at a time so I think the 3DS could handle it.
#10legendarylemurPosted 2/8/2013 5:58:04 PM
jedinat posted...
The devs are lazy and cheap, releasing the same dang game for the 4th time (I assume we're talking about Etrian). Instead of this low budget grid copy-pasta... how about a generated dungeon system that sort of functions like Minecraft... with real time exploration (spelunking!) and an encounter system like DQIX. It'd only have to generate one "floor" at a time so I think the 3DS could handle it.

Too bad if you've actually played them all, in which anybody who hates this subgenre probably didn't (it's very easy to tell), people have a very different opinion about each EO. These are far from copy pastes
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
CLICK HERE FOR FAME AND GLORY