Fire Emblem: Awakening stands as a stark contrast to Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

#1VyersPosted 2/9/2013 5:35:48 AM
When I played Paper Mario, it quickly wore thin; too much of it was predictable, a lack of tension, and the strategy was mind-numbing. It felt like I was playing a new, original game, except in this case, they took the idea of originality and went in a bad direction, removing a lot of the qualities that people liked about its predecessors. Heck, Super Paper Mario's greatest redeeming quality was its story, a concept of the franchise all but stripped. Bowser, who went from being an iconic boss in the mainline Mario franchise to being a rather funny character - perhaps funnier than most characters in the franchise - wasn't even as interesting a character as he was in Paper Mario, arguably his least interesting role in the Mario RPG franchise. He was really just like any other character, and that's a really bad thing.

Fire Emblem: Awakening, though? It does pretty much everything right. It's the same, classic formula, but it has been improved rather significantly; allows far more options and depth, and allows players to adjust how quickly or slowly the game's pace is. It has options for series veterans, series newbies, and the crazy few who want to test their mettle. The DLC model is not exactly the best in the industry, but it feels not-bad. A map to fight classic enemies on, and a playable character, both of which are kind of neat. To me, FE:A feels like the third golden age of FE - the first being when the series first came to Japan; the second being when the series first came to America; and the third being now, where FE came to the mainstream worldwide.

Now I'd really like to see Intelligent Systems give Advance Wars the treatment FE:A got. I want to see the equivalent of Casual mode; I want Normal, Hard, and Lunatic difficulties. Also 8P VS.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#2SnackasaurusPosted 2/9/2013 5:47:28 AM
I think with Paper Mario Intelligent Systems just spread themselves out too thin. They released Pushmo, Crashmo, Paper Mario and Fire Emblem in a year or so.

As far as Advance Wars goes it'd be neat I think to see the franchise get a big sorta Valkyria Chronicles style game on the Wii U.
#3Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 5:49:14 AM
Snackasaurus posted...
I think with Paper Mario Intelligent Systems just spread themselves out too thin. They released Pushmo, Crashmo, Paper Mario and Fire Emblem in a year or so.

As far as Advance Wars goes it'd be neat I think to see the franchise get a big sorta Valkyria Chronicles style game on the Wii U.

Eh, I think IS needs to not mess with success. AW works pretty well as a normal strategy game; VC is simply too different to work for the way AW works. Maybe Battalion Wars, but not AW.

As for being stretched thin, perhaps; however, there are some inherent design flaws to it that come from a point of trying to change too much rather than changing because it needed to change.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#4aamotPosted 2/9/2013 8:31:34 AM
I really enjoyed both for very different reasons. Paper Mario is a fun collection-based adventure game. Fire Emblem is a fairly difficult tactical game, which does offer much more gameplay than Sticker Star did.

I don't see why it has to be a battle. They both gave me awesome times with my 3DS.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#5EndgamePosted 2/9/2013 10:30:09 AM
see, this is why some people shouldn't be allowed to have opinions, horrible, so horrible.....

the only reason Sorceror Emblem didn't dumb down Fire Emblem as much as SUCKer Star dumbed down Paper Mario is because SS, PoR, and RD have already been working on that

Sorceror Emblem and SUCKer Star are the exact same thing: twisted mockeries of once great series from IS
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#6deimos91Posted 2/9/2013 10:52:40 AM
Endgame posted...
see, this is why some people shouldn't be allowed to have opinions, horrible, so horrible.....

the only reason Sorceror Emblem didn't dumb down Fire Emblem as much as SUCKer Star dumbed down Paper Mario is because SS, PoR, and RD have already been working on that

Sorceror Emblem and SUCKer Star are the exact same thing: twisted mockeries of once great series from IS

Writes 1000+ word Faq Bashes game for being bad =Troll with no life confirmed
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#7MorgalagaPosted 2/9/2013 10:57:11 AM
I have an important question regarding FE Awakening.
In the demo the characters do not have feet during battle animations.

If they do not have feet in the full version then I may skip it and continue to just live with my fond memories of FE for GC.
---
EX-TERM-INATE EX-TERM-INATE EX-TERM-INATE
#8Lord_FroodPosted 2/9/2013 11:15:51 AM
Apples to oranges, dude.
---
Her name is Koko, she is loco, I said oh no!
Official Something or Other of That One Group
#9Zohar_MetatronPosted 2/9/2013 11:18:56 AM
Vyers posted...
it quickly wore thin; too much of it was predictable, a lack of tension, and the strategy was mind-numbing

That...that's every Fire Emblem, ever.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#1021_21Posted 2/9/2013 11:22:05 AM
Endgame posted...

Endgame, if you don't like Awakening because it's too easy and grind-festy, why don't you simply play the game in Lunatic mode and not grind?

All of a sudden, all your posts about bashing Awakening becomes useless, and your reality shatters into bits of pieces.
---
Currently playing:
999, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Scribblenauts Unlimited