IGNs brain age review.

#1pikachupwnagePosted 2/9/2013 6:18:59 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/08/brain-age-concentration-training-review

Not bad. Not bad at all.

"And he’s sold his soul to the devil to do it. For whatever reason, for this new sequel, the good, smiling doctor has transformed into a demonic version of himself. With pointy horns atop his head, red-tinged skin and a set of sinister grins and cackles, the once-tame and inoffensive activity host is now one pitchfork away from channeling Satan himself.
It's certainly an odd and somewhat unnecessary visual. The justification for it is flimsy, as the new category of activities presented in this sequel is labeled “Devilish Training,” with the word “devilish” being used to mean incredibly tough or challenging. But it's just going to make some players feel uncomfortable, especially since it's such a a big mismatch with Brain Age’s target audience of older, non-gamer adults in America. I gave the first Brain Age to my Mom as a Christmas gift, years ago. But I honestly doubt she really enjoys a face-to-face with the Devil Doctor every day."

I think the reason was sort of lost in translation was it not Pokemaster? Wasn't there some sort of joke to it?
---
Pokemon generation six! All aboard the hype train! http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Mauduin2/HypeTrain.png Walhart-Low prices. Everyday. On Everything
#2PokeMasterPosted 2/9/2013 6:31:08 AM
"with the word “devilish” being used to mean incredibly tough or challenging"

That pretty much sums it up correctly, so no issue there. I think the real issue is here:
"a big mismatch with Brain Age’s target audience of older, non-gamer adults".

Not sure if that second sentence is America specific (though I can see reasons why), but tbh I have no idea if and how it applies to Japan. Personally I see no issue with the Oni-Professor.

I guess a part of it can be cultural (with not the same emphasis on demons/satan), and part translation, with Oni being often translated as ogre/monster/demon/troll (not exactly a 1 to 1 equivalent in English).

Devilish Training sounds better (and fits the visuals) more than something generic like.. Challenge Mode.. (yeah I suck at making up names)
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#3triple_leiPosted 2/9/2013 11:32:11 AM
Handwriting issues again, huh...?

And yeah I don't think my mom would appreciate Devil Kawashima either. (I will, though.)
#4marioparty17Posted 2/9/2013 11:44:24 AM
I would buy these games,but there are to much of what it offers, im better off studying
---
3DS FC 2535-3692-1887 PSN : MARIOPARTY17
He covered from head to toe in weaponary, like a rainbow apocalypses - Viridi Goddess of Nature from KI:U
#5EndgamePosted 2/9/2013 11:59:19 AM
really pika? you're going to praise IGN even when they praise Nintendo's non-game **** like Brain Age?
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#6esoteric42Posted 2/9/2013 2:05:44 PM
Does IGN think people will be associated as devil worshippers by playing this game?

It's a cartoonish video game. They should look for a more legitimate criticism for the title.

The devil character is done in a light-hearted manner. Jeeesh.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141
#7lunchEATSyouPosted 2/9/2013 2:10:32 PM
Endgame posted...
really pika? you're going to praise IGN even when they praise Nintendo's non-game **** like Brain Age?

Translation: Are you going to buy this game too Pika? I love Brain Age...
---
Height has nothing to do with skin colour, but I know this girl that tans alot that is short...yeah get your brain looked it, someone needs to fix it- DemonDog
#8pikachupwnage(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 2:10:53 PM
Endgame posted...

I wasn't praising IGN chucklehead. I was saying the game got a decent score.
---
Pokemon generation six! All aboard the hype train! http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Mauduin2/HypeTrain.png Walhart-Low prices. Everyday. On Everything
#9pikachupwnage(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 2:11:55 PM
lunchEATSyou posted...
Endgame posted...

Translation: Are you going to buy this game too Pika? I love Brain Age...

His response

*Foaming at the mouth*

Translation: Stu-stupid game! I don't like you or anything!
---
#10OoSubaruoOPosted 2/9/2013 3:41:14 PM(edited)
You guys haven't learned by now, that Endgame shouldn't be taken seriously.