Nintendo Fan Gets Screwed: Receives $200 for a $400 Problem

#1EnclavePosted 2/9/2013 2:35:34 PM
Look, customer service can be faulty anywhere and no company is immune to this. While Nintendo tends to have a reputation for treating fans well, the fact remains that sometimes things don't go the way you want. The story goes as follows: A new Wii U owner transferred $400 worth of Wii Virtual Console and WiiWare games over to his Wii U. The Wii U broke (faulty system, bricked on it's own apparently) and so he brought the system back to GameStop to exchange it for a new one. The problem, of course, was that since you can't transfer Nintendo Network IDs between consoles, he couldn't put the old Wii content on his new Wii Uit was already tied to his old Network ID he couldn't recover.

He called customer service and after awhile, they gave him $200 credit towards buying games on the Wii U eShop. The problem here is that it was $400 worth of items and 99% of them are not even available on the eShop as it stands. He does note the customer service representative from Nintendo was the nicest lady ever, so at least we can take solace in the fact that Nintendo's reputation for being kind to customers is still intact.

Of course, this raises several issues. For starters, the user in question made some mistakes. When his Wii U stopped working, the correct call would have been to contact customer service instead of returning the item, especially after he transferred his content. We already know Nintendo themselves would have just had him send in the console. They would have transferred the Network ID for him to an all new system and sent it back his way. Likely a one to two week affair, but at least you're not getting "screwed". My second issue I personally have with this whole ordeal is... does he no longer own the console he purchased the content on? I understand the convenience of narrowing it down to one console, but if he still owns the content and has the Wii system he had it on... then what's the issue? Nintendo just gave you $200 to purchase Wii U stuff while you still have access to the $400 of content you purchased on a different console.

Now, none of this excuses the fact that everything could have been avoided if Nintendo didn't lock Nintendo Network IDs to consoles. While I presume Nintendo is going to lift that restriction eventually, fact is it can be problematic for some customers. When a console breaks after purchase, it's customary to return it to where you bought it and exchange it for a new one. That naturally can make anyone wary since they could lose eShop purchases by doing what is common for many customers. Since you can transfer accounts on all generation seven consoles, most consumers may not be aware of such issues.

So, while the situation could have been handled better by the customer, he shouldn't be angry that Nintendo gave him a $200 credit instead of $400. Still, this points out yet another major flaw in Nintendo's concept with locking Network IDs.

But we don't need a unified online store with an account based system! Don't be silly, we should just throw our money at Nintendo right? It's not at all them ripping us off! Sure their competitors don't rip off their customers like Nintendo does but that's just the price we pay for buying Nintendo consoles right? And they do it for OUR benefit don't they? Doesn't have anything to do with them wanting to take us for all the money they can.

Source: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-fan-gets-screwed-receives-200-for-a-400-problem
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#2metroid00700Posted 2/9/2013 2:41:36 PM
I agree with the quoted text. While the ID system Nintendo has is beyond stupid and outdated, "Jon" agreed to Terms of Service stating that this would happen and therefore shouldn't be upset by something he agreed to. I'm shocked they gave him $200, to be honest.
---
Intel Core i7-3610QM/2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT/12GB DDR3 RAM
SEGA Dreamcast: THE Best Gaming System since 9/9/99
#3urmomishawt04Posted 2/9/2013 2:41:38 PM
I feel like Nintendo loses no money when you give somebody Eshop credit.
---
'97 Camry <3: http://i.imgur.com/nqpyu.png
PSN: D4RK M4R10 / 3DS:: 2191 - 7636 - 8794
#4Starwars4JPosted 2/9/2013 2:42:14 PM
The customer made a mistake, as the article you cited even mentions. Sometimes there are just people beyond help. It was very nice of Nintendo to credit him $200 for his own stupidity though.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#5zavlinzPosted 2/9/2013 2:49:41 PM(edited)
i really dont know when nintendo will realize their approach to digital sales is garbage. They should have realized it by now.
Its really saying somthing when you look at the psn and see that its miles and miles ahead. Because the psn still has plenty of its own problems.
#6Enclave(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 2:47:15 PM
Starwars4J posted...
The customer made a mistake, as the article you cited even mentions. Sometimes there are just people beyond help. It was very nice of Nintendo to credit him $200 for his own stupidity though.

Imagine that, taking a broken console under warranty back to the one who sold it to you is the customers fault. It's so obvious!
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#7Nickcool1996Posted 2/9/2013 2:48:44 PM
This article is lovely. Unbiased and believable.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o451/Behiimosu/dickkick.jpg
#8Bancario51Posted 2/9/2013 2:49:22 PM
they gave him too much
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#9Baha05Posted 2/9/2013 2:50:12 PM
Enclave posted...
Imagine that, taking a broken console under warranty back to the one who sold it to you is the customers fault. It's so obvious!

Yes because it's under warranty you call up the CS for the brand and you ship it to them to try and save data. You don't simply return it to the store.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#10Nickcool1996Posted 2/9/2013 2:51:39 PM
Enclave posted...
Starwars4J posted...

I would've taken it back to Nintendo since it already had stuff on it. How else would I have gotten my stuff back without an account system? <_<
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o451/Behiimosu/dickkick.jpg