Nintendo Fan Gets Screwed: Receives $200 for a $400 Problem

#121n00bsaib0tPosted 2/10/2013 2:04:31 AM
The games industry has created an expectation that if you got a new console, you can simply redownload your games. Are you implying that the consumer expectation that their downloadable games are as secure as competing consoles is an unreasonable one? Because it's a bit odd to be comparing the exchange of a Wii U for a new one and being flustered by the inability to redownload games that you can prove that you purchased - an expectation considering the PC market leader and every other non-Nintendo platform maker allows for this - to someone being flustered that the content that they put on a hard drive didn't appear on another one.

Nintendo is behind the times, we all know this, and everyone want's an account system.

On the other hand, to do no research into the product that you are purchasing to the point that you don't know if you return a bricked system rather than call customer support you lose your files, that's the consumers own fault.

Better analogy:

"I uploaded my files to Amazon Cloud storage, sold my computer, and bought a new one. I can't download my files onto the new one." Not realistic because you would be able to, but that's the situation.

That would be an accurate analogy if Nintendo had an account system, but they don't due to the primitive nature of Nintendo's eshop the HDD comparison is 100% accurate. What the guy in TCs post did is the same as taking your pictures from an external HDD to a new PC, deleting them off of the external HDD (system transfer does this for you on your Wii) and then returning the PC for whatever reason and being shocked that you don't have access to your data.

Nintendo needs to get their **** together, but people need to be smarter about what they purchase and, in this case, what they return instead of getting fixed by warranty.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#122VyersPosted 2/10/2013 2:16:45 AM
So Nintendo takes no fault for being willfully archaic. Clearly, in a situation where Nintendo designs their products to work in ways completely different for their industry, the consumer must take blame.

People shouldn't have to assume that a product would be so divergent that they could easily lose everything they own on it.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#123n00bsaib0tPosted 2/10/2013 2:30:33 AM
So Nintendo takes no fault for being willfully archaic. Clearly, in a situation where Nintendo designs their products to work in ways completely different for their industry, the consumer must take blame.

It's called being a smart consumer. Do a little research on something before you buy it. Never just assume a product works or meets industry standards.

People shouldn't have to assume that a product would be so divergent that they could easily lose everything they own on it.

There shouldn't be any assuming involved. You have the internet at your disposal. When the guy bought the system he also had the manual. It's his fault he is in this situation for not knowing what he is doing.

Let's put it this way, removeable media is the standard for smart phones now. iPhone 5 still doesn't support SD cards though. It's the consumers fault if they buy the iPhone 5 thinking they can put an SD card in it and double their storage space.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#124VyersPosted 2/10/2013 2:43:36 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...

It's called being a smart consumer. Do a little research on something before you buy it. Never just assume a product works or meets industry standards.

There shouldn't be any assuming involved. You have the internet at your disposal. When the guy bought the system he also had the manual. It's his fault he is in this situation for not knowing what he is doing.

Let's put it this way, removeable media is the standard for smart phones now. iPhone 5 still doesn't support SD cards though. It's the consumers fault if they buy the iPhone 5 thinking they can put an SD card in it and double their storage space.

Wow, I didn't know that this consumer designed the Internet model for the WiiU. I assume this is the case since you apply blame to him for creating a problem that has many different fixes that can be applied at this very moment.

Fact: Being a smart consumer with the WiiU is the equivalent of being a standard consumer on any other competing platform. I don't have to be careful about my game library on Vita, Steam, PS3, or 360 because I know it will be there when I come back. That you have to exert effort to be on the same level as other platforms' bases shows a huge problem. It shows fault. Nintendo is to blame for the problem existing. If Nintendo wasn't so intent on being restrictive and anti-consumer, the person who lost $200 worth of content wouldn't have to find ways to avoid the problem.

Also fact: When people had to send in their iPhones to get new batteries as a standard procedure, the Nintendo fanbase was quick to mock.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#125n00bsaib0tPosted 2/10/2013 3:27:52 AM
Wow, I didn't know that this consumer designed the Internet model for the WiiU. I assume this is the case since you apply blame to him for creating a problem that has many different fixes that can be applied at this very moment.

The consumer purchased the Wii U without bothering to research how it handled such things.

The consumer returned his Wii U because he didn't bother to do any research on it prior to purchasing.

It's 100% his fault. Nintendo makes the product, it's up to the consumer to not be a moron, and that guy was a moron.

Fact: Being a smart consumer with the WiiU is the equivalent of being a standard consumer on any other competing platform. I don't have to be careful about my game library on Vita, Steam, PS3, or 360 because I know it will be there when I come back. That you have to exert effort to be on the same level as other platforms' bases shows a huge problem. It shows fault. Nintendo is to blame for the problem existing. If Nintendo wasn't so intent on being restrictive and anti-consumer, the person who lost $200 worth of content wouldn't have to find ways to avoid the problem.

And all of this information was out there before the guy bought his Wii U. It's his fault he is in this situation for not researching prior to purchase. If I put a brick in a box and market it as a next gen system would you just assume that this brick played games, had an account system for digital purchases and all the other "industry standards" or would you use the internet and come to the conclusion "it's a god damn brick, I'm not buying this!".

Yes, Nintendo is behind the times. There are a lot of ways things can be Nintendo's fault. If the guy was smart about his purchase, researched it and decided "this is still worth my money" then it would be Nintendo's fault the guy had to wait a couple weeks to play his Wii U. This isn't the case. All of the information was out there prior to his purchase. He wasn't tricked into thinking the Wii U had an account system like PSN or X-Box Live, everyone that has put any amount of time into looking up things about the Wii U knows this. It's 100% this guy's fault he is in this situation for returning his Wii U instead of taking the proper actions, in which case all of his problems would be Nintendo's fault. Not knowing what you're doing doesn't make it the company's fault.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#126monkeypahngPosted 2/10/2013 4:59:32 AM
zavlinz posted...
i really dont know when nintendo will realize their approach to digital sales is garbage. They should have realized it by now.
Its really saying somthing when you look at the psn and see that its miles and miles ahead. Because the psn still has plenty of its own problems.

Yeah, they're still pretty bad at it. Then again I wonder how hard it will be to recitify seeing how they would have to fix it up the previous consoles.

If you're referring to the latest EU/US PSN. Then no, that update makes me not want to ever browse through it or purchase anything. Complete mess that feels like it will brick your PS3 if you even do anything in the PSN store.

Now the previous update or supposedly the JPN PSN store (since I heard SCEJ were smart enough not to release that POS update there), then I agree. It is definitely great and easy to use.
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang
#127Dark_Link92Posted 2/10/2013 5:09:58 AM
Sounds like a BS story written to induce rage and attract the Nintendo Defence Force, and I can tell you from experience that Nintendo's customer service is terrible.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#128Maynard_JKPosted 2/10/2013 5:54:03 AM
Bottom line Nintendo's online store sucks. They need to fix it, and add an account system, but the guy is also an idiot. I realized the wii shop games were tied to the system the first time I used it, and this guy spent 400 bucks and was oblivious to that. He must be special.
---
I was right in the middle of a ****ing reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these goddamn things! It won't be long before they tear us to shreds!
#129kdiz4321Posted 2/10/2013 8:02:41 AM
SMASHKING84 posted...
PokeMaster posted...
^No one in this thread was disputing the need for an account system. It's a dead horse already.

too bad if we stop bringing it up it'll never change.

People can bring it up without sounding like a douche. Actually a better way promote change would be to not buy anything on the e-shop until they make an account system.
---
I am not an early adopter. If your system is as awesome as you say it is, it will still be in stores when the games I want are out.
#130Storm ChamberPosted 2/10/2013 8:39:08 AM
And this is why I made it a point to get a physical copy of FE:A
---
"We will not solve our problems by announcing them to the general public. We only speed ourselves on our way to the gallows." - Dr. Harlan Fontaine