Nintendo Fan Gets Screwed: Receives $200 for a $400 Problem

#181NekoakumaPosted 2/11/2013 2:24:16 AM
cool. I think that's sorted now.
Beer anyone?
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#182SMASHKING84Posted 2/11/2013 3:06:43 AM
if your gonna qoute me don't lie about what i said. for example the leap year thing,i said they were founded on leap year they'd be less then 100 years old.

I never flip flopped i was stating how idiotic it was sony and ps are treated as separate companies just because they have different names. They're so many things you miss qouted it isn't even funny.

here's a question what if nintendo stopped existing but some of it's employees foundeda new company would it still be nintendo? no the problem is that the company did die and was reborn as a company with the same name.

Another way to put it is if nintendo ceised to exist and a hundred years later someone made a new company named nintendo,that's basically what i'm saying already happened.

If your company is defined by making a certain product you cannot claim your the same company if that product is no longer being made by you.
I guess nobody gets the idea that the brand is made by the products. It'd by like the pokemon company stopped making pokemon related stuff all together and start making dry ice.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GODCCAOyCCs CRYAMORE FTW
#183NekoakumaPosted 2/11/2013 3:15:55 AM(edited)
SMASHKING84 posted...
if your gonna qoute me don't lie about what i said. for example the leap year thing,i said they were founded on leap year they'd be less then 100 years old.

I never flip flopped i was stating how idiotic it was sony and ps are treated as separate companies just because they have different names. They're so many things you miss qouted it isn't even funny.

If you're going to correct him about misquoting you, you should check your original post.
Also, you're the only one who brought up Sony. no one else did, so I'm not sure why you're still going on that tangent. Again, I repeat, the original comment was calling you out for sucking at maths.

SMASHKING84 posted...
idk about youe schools but mine taught me 2000 minus 1800 is 200,what a bad school!

---------

Basic. Math.
no it's not if nintendo was founded hypothetically on january 1st 1889 they'd be 125. if they were founded on febuary 29th they'd be less then one years old.

not only that but technically when you see a number as high as 89 you should round up,if you see a number as low as 13 you should round down. and besides if you really want to be a dick nintendo didn't exist back in 1889 it was a company with nintendo in the name but the name wasn't the same and the product isn't even close to being similar to what they do now. Nintendo as we know them now is a toy company that now makes video games.

They used to run love hotels,not even close to what they do now. they been doing that part for arround 30 years thats 80 years less then what you said before.

And before you say they were still the company when we talk about the age of the playstation brand we never bring up the age of sony. you cannot have it both ways,either a company's age always everything it's every done or it never does.

---
#184VyersPosted 2/11/2013 3:29:59 AM
PlayStation is a brand, not a company. Additionally, the reason why the DIVISIONS of Sony are treated separately is because they're very different, and Sony has strong presence in the music, film, and electronics industries.

Your argument is ridiculous and literally false, SMASHKING84. Nintendo was founded in 1889. From then and to this very day, Nintendo has been the exact same company. Do you seriously not comprehend the difference between a company shifting its direction to new products, and a company shutting down, only to have another company take its name 100 years later?

Where does it end? Is Nintendo of the 1990's not the same company as Nintendo of the 2000's because Nintendo of the 2000's utilized touchscreen technology, dual screens, motion control, digital storefronts, etc.? If they are the same, why? For the sake of argument - as in, no admittance that a company must make one product consistently in order to be the same company as it makes consistently (so yes, if the Pokémon Company made dry ice only, they would still be the same company - merely a different product selection) - here's a fact.

Nintendo was founded in 1889, where they created a playing card game called Hanafuda (or in English, "flower cards"). What they created was a game. In fact, they created a game that Nintendo still produces to this very day, but I digress. So, Nintendo entered the Japanese market as a company that produces games. Hanafuda was a product that was their primary business model for nearly 70 years. Veering off of the direct topic, the company was founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi, the grandfather of Hiroshi Yamauchi, meaning that only until this millennium was the company no longer owned by a member of the Yamauchi family. Back on topic! Nintendo eventually started to make toys, most notably the Ultra Hand and light gun games. After these were met with only modest success, they took one of their most successful of these toys - the light gun-based game - and used it as a model for their next and current primary target, electronic games.

As you can see, the company has never shifted its focus. From 1889 to 2013, Nintendo has been a game company. Or, are you arguing that the expansion from "game" to "video game" is too big to argue the company has remained the same? Is the online game a different thing than the offline game? Is a 3D game different from a 2D game? Is a game for the iOS a different class of game than a game for the 3DS, owing to its touch-exclusive format, cheap price, and business model differences? It seems that you're splitting hairs quite excessively.

That being said, no. A company doesn't stop being a company just because it no longer deals in the same business as it used to; I would argue that it is far more important to have the same people. Of course, over 124 years, that's not realistic, but the fact is that Yamauchi and his family spanned a lot of its history; Yokoi, the father of the Nintendo video game, was one of their key innovators until his untimely death in 1997; and Miyamoto, the bright-eyed son of Yokoi, has been holding the reigns since his boom in popularity, and only recently has he stepped down. However, neither is a determining factor in whether or not a company is a company. If Nintendo went defunct as you propose as a scenario, what those 100-years-laters would be doing would be buying the name and brands associated with it (assuming they weren't bought off from its corpse already). It would be a different company. The fact that they changed from Hanafuda to video games is proof that they are the same business, because a quality business adapts with the times.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#185n00bsaib0tPosted 2/11/2013 3:33:13 AM

I know this has already been pointed out, but...

if they were founded on febuary 29th they'd be less then one years old.

No, they aren't. Everyone says "Sony" when talking about the Vita, PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3, etc. No one ever says "Nintendo needs to do what Playstation does for digital games", it's "Nintendo needs to do what Sony does". I'm not sure what makes you think you're right, but you're 100% wrong.

here's a question what if nintendo stopped existing but some of it's employees foundeda new company would it still be nintendo? no the problem is that the company did die and was reborn as a company with the same name.

The company never died. Obviously none of the same people are there, but that's to be expected when the company is 124 years old. Using your logic, the Earth isn't the Earth any more because the people that lived here first aren't around anymore. The United States isn't the United States because George Washington isn't running around right now. That's just a load of crap. They are still the same company, they just make a different product.

Another way to put it is if nintendo ceised to exist and a hundred years later someone made a new company named nintendo,that's basically what i'm saying already happened.

But that's not what happened. Nintendo never went away. It was never revived as a different company with the same name, it just decided to get into the console business.

If your company is defined by making a certain product you cannot claim your the same company if that product is no longer being made by you.
I guess nobody gets the idea that the brand is made by the products. It'd by like the pokemon company stopped making pokemon related stuff all together and start making dry ice.

So this is dead on with my United States comparison. The United States was founded on freedoms that are in the process of being taken away. Clearly it's not the same country now, right?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#186VyersPosted 2/11/2013 3:35:05 AM
And, if anyone had said PlayStation in that context, it would be because the two names are interchangeable, not because the PS branch is its own entity.
---
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#187NekoakumaPosted 2/11/2013 3:37:41 AM
And here comes Vyers shutting down threads like a boss.
---
#188VyersPosted 2/11/2013 3:39:37 AM
I just wish my post wasn't so unfocused and messy.
---
#189GreenSF49Posted 2/11/2013 7:04:02 AM
Vyers posted...
PlayStation is a brand, not a company. Additionally, the reason why the DIVISIONS of Sony are treated separately is because they're very different, and Sony has strong presence in the music, film, and electronics industries.

Your argument is ridiculous and literally false, SMASHKING84. Nintendo was founded in 1889. From then and to this very day, Nintendo has been the exact same company. Do you seriously not comprehend the difference between a company shifting its direction to new products, and a company shutting down, only to have another company take its name 100 years later?

Where does it end? Is Nintendo of the 1990's not the same company as Nintendo of the 2000's because Nintendo of the 2000's utilized touchscreen technology, dual screens, motion control, digital storefronts, etc.? If they are the same, why? For the sake of argument - as in, no admittance that a company must make one product consistently in order to be the same company as it makes consistently (so yes, if the Pokémon Company made dry ice only, they would still be the same company - merely a different product selection) - here's a fact.

Nintendo was founded in 1889, where they created a playing card game called Hanafuda (or in English, "flower cards"). What they created was a game. In fact, they created a game that Nintendo still produces to this very day, but I digress. So, Nintendo entered the Japanese market as a company that produces games. Hanafuda was a product that was their primary business model for nearly 70 years. Veering off of the direct topic, the company was founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi, the grandfather of Hiroshi Yamauchi, meaning that only until this millennium was the company no longer owned by a member of the Yamauchi family. Back on topic! Nintendo eventually started to make toys, most notably the Ultra Hand and light gun games. After these were met with only modest success, they took one of their most successful of these toys - the light gun-based game - and used it as a model for their next and current primary target, electronic games.

As you can see, the company has never shifted its focus. From 1889 to 2013, Nintendo has been a game company. Or, are you arguing that the expansion from "game" to "video game" is too big to argue the company has remained the same? Is the online game a different thing than the offline game? Is a 3D game different from a 2D game? Is a game for the iOS a different class of game than a game for the 3DS, owing to its touch-exclusive format, cheap price, and business model differences? It seems that you're splitting hairs quite excessively.

That being said, no. A company doesn't stop being a company just because it no longer deals in the same business as it used to; I would argue that it is far more important to have the same people. Of course, over 124 years, that's not realistic, but the fact is that Yamauchi and his family spanned a lot of its history; Yokoi, the father of the Nintendo video game, was one of their key innovators until his untimely death in 1997; and Miyamoto, the bright-eyed son of Yokoi, has been holding the reigns since his boom in popularity, and only recently has he stepped down. However, neither is a determining factor in whether or not a company is a company. If Nintendo went defunct as you propose as a scenario, what those 100-years-laters would be doing would be buying the name and brands associated with it (assuming they weren't bought off from its corpse already). It would be a different company. The fact that they changed from Hanafuda to video games is proof that they are the same business, because a quality business adapts with the times.

well DAMM!

took it to another level.
---
SanFran----SanAnton
49ers-------Spurs
#190NekoakumaPosted 2/11/2013 8:02:02 AM
I want to keep this bumped in the hope smash replies back.
---