Fire Emblem anything like Devil Survivor?

#1EmoglobinPosted 2/9/2013 11:59:46 PM
I hear people raving about Fire Emblem, and I am tempted to pick it up. I've only ever played one SRPG in the past, and that's Devil Survivor.

I beat Devil Survivor on hard. I'm pretty good at it. Will the transition to Fire Emblem be difficult? Or are they similar in gameplay?
---
"There's no point having the biggest and most explosive gun operated by someone who can only use a slingshot. That's what the Vita is"
#2kamikaze135Posted 2/10/2013 12:10:48 AM
Not really. In Fire Emblem when you attack an enemy, it's automatic. The game tells you your chances of landing a hit, your chances of critical, and how many times you'll land a hit. You aren't taken to a battle screen to make battle choices like in DS.

The Fire Emblem battle system is simpler, but it has a lot of depth. Your units can back you up, enemies are weak against certain weapons and, for the most part, you can use multiple weapons types. There are also different classes in the games as well. You also have to consider where you're moving in the battle field. Some characters are solely healers, some are better tanking, etc. Not sure about the other FE games, but in the 3DS one, other characters can help block attacks and combo in with your attacks.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#3WestbrickIIIPosted 2/10/2013 12:49:15 AM
Fire Emblem is the original console-SRPG, and its mantra has always been depth through simplicity. You're given a relatively bare set of options, but you can do a great deal with what you're given to turn the tides in your favor. I imagine the transition between Devil Survivor and FE won't be that difficult, but consider starting on Normal.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#4aamotPosted 2/10/2013 2:17:29 AM
Fire Emblem has less depth than Devil Survivor, but part of the appeal of FE is the streamlined ease-of-play. They are both some of the faster-paced SRPGs out there, though.

There's a demo of the first 2 levels on the eShop if you're at all interested in Fire Emblem.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#5Bancario51Posted 2/10/2013 2:39:10 AM
Are you actually asking because you curious how SMT x FE will play out?
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#6Arsene-LupinPosted 2/10/2013 2:40:27 AM
Here's fire emblem.

Here's the imaginary, abstract barrier between good games... and great games.

Here's Devil Survivor.

Here's me asking you if you need further clarification.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#7Barrylocke89Posted 2/10/2013 3:30:52 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
Here's fire emblem.

Here's the imaginary, abstract barrier between good games... and great games.

Here's Devil Survivor.

Here's me asking you if you need further clarification.

What's series is on which side of the barrier?
---
http://www.twitch.tv/barrylocke
#8Arsene-LupinPosted 2/10/2013 3:55:38 AM
In every culture on the planet, greater height is better, lesser height is worse. So work it out for yourself.

Probably has something to do with children growing taller as they age.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#9WestbrickIIIPosted 2/10/2013 8:41:48 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
In every culture on the planet, greater height is better, lesser height is worse. So work it out for yourself.

Probably has something to do with children growing taller as they age.

Pretentious, witless, irrelevant.

Please stop being a fan of my favorite series.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#10EsracPosted 2/10/2013 10:39:54 AM
Emoglobin posted...
I hear people raving about Fire Emblem, and I am tempted to pick it up. I've only ever played one SRPG in the past, and that's Devil Survivor.

I beat Devil Survivor on hard. I'm pretty good at it. Will the transition to Fire Emblem be difficult? Or are they similar in gameplay?

The correct answer is...download the Fire Emblem: Awakening demo from the 3DS eshop. Its a free demo and lets you play the first two battles in the game. They introduce to to just about everything you can expect from combat game play. Just add world map inventory management, skill and class management.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Esrac