Suggestions for first game (other than FE:A)

#1Apac4245Posted 2/10/2013 5:37:29 AM
Hi all,

I'm gonna go buy a 3ds XL today. I was wondering what games you would recommend me get other than FE. I will definitely get FE I'm sure, either the physical copy or I may get impatient and buy it off the virtual store thing. Anyway, what other game would you suggest? I haven't owned a handheld since the gameboy color. I guess I did have the PSP for about a month but never got into it. I'm looking for a game that's fun. That's pretty much it TBH.

I was thinking Mario Kart because I was playing the demo of it at Best Buy and had a blast. But was also considering Super Mario 3d Land to get a more traditional Mario. I don't think I've really "played" a Mario game since Mario 64. I also was considering Ocarina of Time because I love that game. But I'm open to suggestions for just about anything. I haven't owned anything Nintendo for a long time. My little sister had a Gamecube and I used it to play Resident Evil 4 and that's about it. I was even looking at some of the older pokemon games I've missed out on or Dragon Quest 9 on the DS.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!
#2SnackasaurusPosted 2/10/2013 5:54:55 AM
If you liked RE4 you might wanna see if you could get Mercenaries 3D or Resident Evil Revelations on the cheap. Both are great games.

Super Mario 3D land is a must. So is Ocarina of Time 3D, but I figure you want something new at first.

If you don't mind the controls, Kid Icarus Uprising is a fantastic game.

Mario Kart is pretty great to yeah.
#3EmeraldroxPosted 2/10/2013 6:04:32 AM
OoT, Tales of the Abyss, Harvest moon ANB, Theatrhythm.

My favorites so far. I hate music games but I loved Theatrhythm.
---
White 2 - 1335-5542-8288 White - 0347-5170-7984
3DS: 4854-6563-5216
#4AnclationPosted 2/10/2013 6:12:44 AM
Kid Icarus: Uprising is indeed amazing (and for what it's worth, most people seem to adapt pretty well to the controls).

Ocarina of Time 3D is also fantastic if you feel like re-experiencing OoT.

Super Mario 3D Land is good too, though it plays more like a Super Mario Bros. game than your average 3D Mario.

Mario Kart 7 is another good game, not my favorite Mario Kart, but if you haven't played the latest few games in the series it should still be great fun.
#5aamotPosted 2/10/2013 6:34:26 AM
My favorites so far are Resident Evil Revelations and Paper Mario Sticker Star. SM3DLand looks great too, so I'm sure that would be another good choice.

Theatrhythm is awesome as well, if you're at all into rhythm based games or Final Fantasy as a whole.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#6guedesbrawlPosted 2/10/2013 6:43:30 AM
kid icarus uprising,for real.
just take your time to learn the controls,don't use the stand,use the touch screen and you'll be fine
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#7Sain_of_CaelinPosted 2/10/2013 7:37:53 AM
Mario Kart 7, Etrian Odysee 4, Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Mario 3D Land,
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/VicariousBrian/videos?view=1&flow=grid
#8iMURDAuPosted 2/10/2013 7:39:48 AM
3D Land is fun and mixes good 2D Mario with 3D elements. Just don't think you're done with the game because you beat the first 8 worlds.
---
Make the worst possible retailer an exclusive for a masterpiece game.. It's like putting Rolex into a Walmart."
-LordClyde on Gamestop selling Xenoblade
#9metroid02Posted 2/10/2013 8:47:49 AM
Id recommend Kid Icarus Uprising as well. That game is simply amazing and I find the dialogue pretty funny. Also I really liked Mario Kart 7. As good as it is I cannot recommend buying Super Mario 3D Land at full price because the game is just too damn short. I have done everything there is to do in this game, found every coin, completed all the levels and so forth in just under 10 hours (though im not going to grind my way to max lives or 999 coins). Though I must say its still a fantastic game.

Other noteworthy games:
Tales of the Abyss (if you can stil find it)
Paper Mario Sticker Star (apparently "vets" of the series dont like it, but I found it quite adorable)
Zelda Ocarina of Time
---
"Crysis missed the mark visually. I mean come on, there is an island full of Koreans, but NONE of them are playing Starcraft???" -themerchant8
#10Apac4245(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 2:39:32 PM
Hey all,

I ended up going with Mario Kart -- I've been having a blast! I went online and got annihilated which was surprisingly fun.

Now I just need to figure out if I should buy the digital copy of FE or wait for the actual physical one. Any thoughts?

Also thanks for everybody's input.