Why doesn't the eshop have more recent classics?

#1DoctorCrabMDPosted 2/10/2013 4:16:52 PM
Why does 3DS only get old NES / GB games that hardly anybody cares about? Isn't the 3DS powerful enough to at least play N64 games? Where's Paper Mario? Where's Jet Force Gemini? I'd much rather see games like this than Tetris or Metroid 2.....
#2DeathSoul2000Posted 2/10/2013 4:18:08 PM
because nintendo.
#3Baha05Posted 2/10/2013 4:18:46 PM
I'm assuming that there are bigger plans in merging the two VC (Wii U and 3DS) into something similar to PSP/PS3/Vita.

For N64 games it might require the CPP and any third party games would have to go through deals to get them on the consoles.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#4gangster4lifeyoPosted 2/10/2013 4:22:45 PM
I don't get it either. Nintendo could make a fortune by expanding the Eshop library. Maybe get some GCN titles on there too like Thousand Year Door, Double Dash, etc.
#5hyper kobun dashPosted 2/10/2013 4:45:35 PM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
because nintendo.

---
"If the PS3 is Casablanca and the 360 is The Godfather, the wii would be Pluto Nash." - StilI_Kirbyfan9
#6TheGreatUnownPosted 2/10/2013 5:19:22 PM
ITT: No one cares about Mario, Zelda, Wario, Metroid, Mega Man, Pac Man, etc.

Also, VC games are emulated, which takes much more power than simply reading them off of a cart. Hell, even when playing Zelda 1, I experience a framerate drop.
---
PSN: phantom_xii 3ds:1161 0212 6579
Pokemon Black 2: 2194 6434 0293
#7AnclationPosted 2/10/2013 5:23:47 PM
Baha05 posted...
I'm assuming that there are bigger plans in merging the two VC (Wii U and 3DS) into something similar to PSP/PS3/Vita.

For N64 games it might require the CPP and any third party games would have to go through deals to get them on the consoles.

Most of this sounds reasonable, except for that bit about about the CPP. The N64 controller itself only had one analog stick, and it's not like games like Ocarina of Time 3D or Star Fox 64 3D required (or even benefited from) the CPP.
#8Arsene-LupinPosted 2/10/2013 5:54:47 PM
Off the top of my head, these are the big games the VC is lacking.

Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Final Fantasy (SNES)
Final Fantasy II (SNES)
Final Fantasy III (SNES)
Secret of Mana (SNES)
Earthbound (SNES)
Lufia (SNES)
Lufia II (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GBA)
Final Fantasy I & II Collection (GBA)
Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA)
Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA)
Breath of Fire (GBA)
Breath of Fire II (GBA)
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Golden Sun (GBA)
Metroid Fusion (GBA)
Tactics Ogre (GBA)
Tales of Phantasia (GBA)

And I'm sure I'm forgetting dozens.

Part of it is that Nintendo hates money; part of it is Square Enix is hopelessly incompetent.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#9OoSubaruoOPosted 2/10/2013 5:57:15 PM
Metroid Fusion/LoZ: The Minish Cap were given to ambassadors.
#10Baha05Posted 2/10/2013 6:01:05 PM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
Off the top of my head, these are the big games the VC is lacking.

Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Final Fantasy (SNES)
Final Fantasy II (SNES)
Final Fantasy III (SNES)
Secret of Mana (SNES)
Earthbound (SNES)
Lufia (SNES)
Lufia II (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GBA)
Final Fantasy I & II Collection (GBA)
Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA)
Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA)
Breath of Fire (GBA)
Breath of Fire II (GBA)
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Golden Sun (GBA)
Metroid Fusion (GBA)
Tactics Ogre (GBA)
Tales of Phantasia (GBA)

And I'm sure I'm forgetting dozens.

Part of it is that Nintendo hates money; part of it is Square Enix is hopelessly incompetent.

Well more a technical issue is a possibility, and with most of those games it's also legal issues. And when you boil it down all VC titles for any system is kinda slow in releasing titles.

Though for Chrono Trigger you are better off buying the DS version as it is the definitive version.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U