You think we'll ever be able to trade in game cartridges for digital versions?

#1PictocheatPosted 2/10/2013 10:30:39 PM
I just bought myself a 32GB SDHC card from amazon.com because I'm starting to run out of space on the 2GB SD card that comes with the 3DS. I have NSMB2, Pokemon Rumble Blast, and Sticker Star downloaded on the 2GB card, along with some ambassador titles, SwapNote data, and over 100 mp3s for the music app. It's surprising how much you can store in such a small amount of space.

Anyway, I'm going to have 16 times that space now. Several of my games are retail copies, and many of them were bought before they started being offered for digital download. I'm wishing now that I could just have everything in one place so I could reduce the amount of cartridge-switching I'd have to do and make things more convenient. It'd be nice if we were able to get full refunds for our retail copies by having points equal to their cost in the eshop added onto our 3DS. I honestly wouldn't mind paying tax again for each game, but I'm not going to buy a $40 game twice just to have a digital version of something I already own.

I'm wondering if a service where you could trade in game cartridges for digital versions would be possible. Obviously, the cartridge would be taken from you so it couldn't be used again by another person. Something extra would probably need to be put in place, though. I've recently had a tendency to put my game purchase receipts in the cartons for their respective games; maybe the receipts could act as proof that you owned the games at some point (but it wouldn't be that effective unless you bought them with a credit card so the last four digits of your credit card number show up).

Probably won't happen for a long time (if ever), but a man can dream.
---
U say U want a Revolution
Well, U know Wii all want to change the world
#2aamotPosted 2/10/2013 10:56:55 PM
I really doubt it (because they are making $0 profit, where there is still a slight market of buyers who could potentially buy a digital copy after owning a game cartridge), but it would be very easy to implement.

Ideally, just send in your game cartridge to Nintendo along with the system ID you want to download the game to.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#3n00bsaib0tPosted 2/10/2013 11:09:18 PM
About the closest thing you can do is sell the game and get an eshop card. You would have to find someone to buy it used for full price though, and we all know that won't be happening.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#4SSJ4CHRISPosted 2/10/2013 11:19:17 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
About the closest thing you can do is sell the game and get an eshop card. You would have to find someone to buy it used for full price though, and we all know that won't be happening.

I was going to say the same thing. You can trade the games in and just buy the cards or codes or just get it from the eshop. There doesn't need to be a special way to trade retail for digital when it's so easy to do that now.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#5zavlinzPosted 2/10/2013 11:24:02 PM(edited)
only way it could ever happen: is if nintendo themselves started selling used cartridges. Then it might make a little sense for them to want your cartridges. And even then, theyd probably just give you $10 eshop credit per game turned in.
But yeah.. not going to happen.
#6TinyTim123Posted 2/10/2013 11:37:33 PM
You have 100 mp3s and room for all that? Are they all ripped at low quality and two minute punk songs? Not making fun of punk if they are, (I like Danzig era Misfits, Bad Religion, old Green Day and such), but dang. I just selected 100 mp3s at random, and it came up to just under 900 megs. I guess everything else is small, which sort of surprises me.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#7Pictocheat(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 5:22:35 AM
TinyTim123 posted...
You have 100 mp3s and room for all that? Are they all ripped at low quality and two minute punk songs? Not making fun of punk if they are, (I like Danzig era Misfits, Bad Religion, old Green Day and such), but dang. I just selected 100 mp3s at random, and it came up to just under 900 megs. I guess everything else is small, which sort of surprises me.

Half of my songs are "official" songs (a good mix of several genres), while the other half are mostly VGM remixes or LPs in the form of rap/song (I'm a big Duane & BrandO fan). I usually take the original MP3 files, put them in Audacity, delete any empty space before and after the actual song, amplify the volume if need be, then export them with the default settings. The file is reduced to about 1/3 its original size (2-3MB average) after this process, but even if it is low quality, it still sounds pretty good (at least in my opinion).
---
U say U want a Revolution
Well, U know Wii all want to change the world
#8PokeMasterPosted 2/11/2013 5:27:20 AM
Sony Japan did something similar with the UMD passport program, though so far only Nintendo has offered the ability to transfer saves.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.