Protecting my 3DS...

#1KryptoPyro13Posted 2/10/2013 11:05:53 PM
I've looked at tens of products on Amazon and Gamestop and have decided on... a few. Since I got the FE3DS, I would like something to protect the outside from scratches while allowing me to, well, see it. I also noticed that the top part has finger smudges already from when I was fiddling with the 3D, so I would like screen protectors as well. If any of y'all have any input on these, that would be great.

Hori Screen Protector:
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Screen-Protective-Filter/dp/B004K6LQ9E/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1355107449&sr=1-1&keywords=3ds+screen+protector

Looks easy enough to install... $9 for just screen protectors is kind of a lot.

Skinomi... Everything Protector:
http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-TechSkin-Protector-Nintendo-Lifetime-DS/dp/B004LE0NZS/ref=sr_1_9?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1360563818&sr=1-9

Supposedly hard to install, but would cover everything, and cheaply.

CTA Digital screen protector:
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Screen-Protector-Kit/dp/B004MKN3VW/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

For only 1 cent, how could you go wrong?! Supposedly it comes with a top protector that covers the whole screen too.

eForCity Clear Plastic Case:
http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Snap--Crystal-Compatible-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B004T0G8O4/ref=sr_1_8?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1360563589&sr=1-8

Pretty cheap, covers outside, clear. I'm most afraid of it itself scratching the 3DS around the joints and such since it's hard plastic...

MadCatz' Screens and Stylii:
http://www.amazon.com/Catz-3DS-Stylus-Screen-Protector-Nintendo/dp/B004MYFKW8/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1360563818&sr=1-4

$9 for 2 protectors and 3 stylii. Just in case I mess up. >__>

CTA Digital Crystal Case:
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-crystal-case/100068

Another brand of clear casing. Same issues as the other one. I find it funny how it specifically says how it won't scratch the 3DS whereas the metal one from the same company does not say that...

Long post full of links aside, if y'all have input on these (or any others), it would be welcome.
---
"I expected disappointment. In that regard, I was not disappointed."
Iwata: "Betrayal that makes the fans happy!"
#2EkaruPosted 2/10/2013 11:14:13 PM
Hori Screen Protectors cost a lot because they're extremely high quality. They're well worth the cash.
---
3DS FC: 3050-7685-5267
PM me if you wanna play a match with me in Mario Tennis Open.
#3OoSubaruoOPosted 2/10/2013 11:31:27 PM
They're also a pain in the butt when you get dirt under them.
#4KryptoPyro13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 11:39:51 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking about it... But does anyone have any comments on the outside? the fingerprints are already jarring... Not to mention around the buttons too. Kind of wish it was matte finish or something so it wouldn't get prints so easilr. >_>
---
"I expected disappointment. In that regard, I was not disappointed."
Iwata: "Betrayal that makes the fans happy!"
#5OoSubaruoOPosted 2/11/2013 1:32:30 AM
This is why I prefer the XL over the original. I hated the glossy exterior. Hori has some silicone cases for the 3DS, not sure if they're still in stock though.
#6temgunPosted 2/11/2013 1:53:24 AM
OoSubaruoO posted...
This is why I prefer the XL over the original. I hated the glossy exterior. Hori has some silicone cases for the 3DS, not sure if they're still in stock though.

Don't use silicone cases, ever. No matter what you do, you get dust under the silicone. Then the silicone rubs the dust against the cover and it gets scratched. I used a silicone cover for my DS Lite and now it's quite scratched. Same for my phone. Avoid at all costs.

As for the screen protectors, I can definitely recommend the Hori ones. I have them for my XL and they are good. Applying them is indeed very easy, you don't have to worry about aligning everything absolutely perfectly and applying it, like every other screen protector does. But yeah. it's annoying if you get any dirt under them. I had one extremely small hair stuck under the protector. It's impossible to see in game and in the main menu, but still annoying.

As for the case, don't get any crystal or silicone ones (as I mentioned before). It will wear out over time anyway, so don't capsule the whole console and make holding it uncomfortable. The 3DS is glossy, and you can't have glossy without finger prints, so don't mind the fingerprints, just use it naturally and get something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Official-Executive-Case-3DS/dp/B004JLO65Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360575959&sr=8-2&keywords=3ds+case
---
BROCCOLI COCONUT HOT DOG
#7OoSubaruoOPosted 2/11/2013 2:03:22 AM
temgun posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...

Don't use silicone cases, ever. No matter what you do, you get dust under the silicone. Then the silicone rubs the dust against the cover and it gets scratched. I used a silicone cover for my DS Lite and now it's quite scratched. Same for my phone. Avoid at all costs.

As for the screen protectors, I can definitely recommend the Hori ones. I have them for my XL and they are good. Applying them is indeed very easy, you don't have to worry about aligning everything absolutely perfectly and applying it, like every other screen protector does. But yeah. it's annoying if you get any dirt under them. I had one extremely small hair stuck under the protector. It's impossible to see in game and in the main menu, but still annoying.

As for the case, don't get any crystal or silicone ones (as I mentioned before). It will wear out over time anyway, so don't capsule the whole console and make holding it uncomfortable. The 3DS is glossy, and you can't have glossy without finger prints, so don't mind the fingerprints, just use it naturally and get something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Official-Executive-Case-3DS/dp/B004JLO65Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360575959&sr=8-2&keywords=3ds+case

I used a silicone case on my DSLite for over 6 years, and it never got scratched at all >_>.
#8BlueBombei2Posted 2/11/2013 2:27:50 AM
temgun posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...

This. The silicone case scratched the hell out of my Pokemon DS Lite. Luckily, I bought two of them :3
#9OoSubaruoOPosted 2/11/2013 3:31:12 AM(edited)
BlueBombei2 posted...
temgun posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...

This. The silicone case scratched the hell out of my Pokemon DS Lite. Luckily, I bought two of them :3

You guys must be doing something wrong, because I used a silicone case made from PDP on my DSLite for over 6 years, and nothing happened to it.

Hori's products are usually top notch, I'm using their silicone case on my Zelda 3DS right now, and it's scratch free...
#10BlueBombei2Posted 2/11/2013 3:31:04 AM
OoSubaruoO posted...
BlueBombei2 posted...
temgun posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...

You guys must be doing something wrong, because I used a silicone case made from PDP on my DSLite for over 6 years, and nothing happened to it.

...How in the hell could we possibly have done something wrong? O.o