Should Nintendo abandon Mario Kart for...

#11alacer807Posted 2/11/2013 9:13:36 AM
Vyers posted...
Nah. I just think that they need to reinvent Mario Kart.

For one, it definitely needs to take notes from Sonic & Sega Racing. Brisker pacing, PERHAPS incorporate more franchises, but like S&S, make it far more about Mario than every other brand.

For another, it needs to lose laps, though keep them for classic tracks. Basically, all tracks work like Wuhu tracks and New Rainbow Road.

Classic tracks DLC. Besides what's immediately available, have every single track available, encouraging to buy in bundle with cheaper prices if you buy by release. This could also be used for previous characters.

However! It also needs to work within a system that gives you access to these tracks in every single Mario Kart game that gets released after that.

Introduce Casual Racing, Normal Racing, and Advanced Racing. Casual Racing is basically the set-up we have now - that grants Blue Shells and the like based on rank in the race. Normal Racing is similar to this, but with more balance between helping out the losers and rewarding pure skill. Advanced Racing would be based almost entirely on skill; in this mode, the Blue Shell is disabled. This way, Mario Kart becomes more palatable to those who want to play it as a competitive game, but can still be enjoyed by those who are less experienced.

Item Switch for offline play, same mechanics as Smash Bros. (Blue Shell only on Very High!)

Customizable tracks, using the new tracks in the game to design them.

This would be amazing.
---
"If you have an all seeing eye, why can't you see pandora's location?"
"Because of my slightly botched laser eye surgery..."
#12EnclavePosted 2/11/2013 1:00:04 PM
aamot posted...
edit: now I just want Earthbound Racing :^(

How would you have Gygas in a cart? Would he just be a floating psychedelic flashing foetus?
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#13MarsfordPosted 2/11/2013 1:04:06 PM
Snackasaurus posted...
Sonic & Sega All Stars works because it's sorta Sega's Smash. Mario Kart already sells millions and a Nintendo kart racer would just take away some of Smash's appeal. I like things how they are.

My feelings essentially.
---
"but if you're the kind of person who thinks that anything with primary colors is for kids than nothing will change your mind." - Arucard05
#14RobotPirteGhostPosted 2/11/2013 1:11:45 PM
Tzuba12 posted...
And I just don't think some of Nintendo's characters would look right riding Go Karts.

I think Link, Samus, and Kirby would look better riding go karts than Wiggler, Petey Piranha, and Honey Queen do.

And depending on how the game works, they don't necessarily have to be on karts. Link could ride Epona and Kirby could be on a Warp Star.
---
RIP City of Heroes and Paragon Studios - Killed by NCsoft.
Not changing this line until Dimitri, Moosh, and Ricky appear in another LOZ game (7/20/09)
#15Solid_SOAPPosted 2/11/2013 3:03:54 PM
The appeal of Super Smash is having all these Nintendo characters in one game, along with being a great party and fighter game. Despite being a great seller, Mario Kart already at least doubles its sales without doing anything crazy with characters spanning multiple generations. There's really no reason to have more than Mario characters in the Kart games, besides the odd cameo or two if that.
#16MRW1215Posted 2/11/2013 3:31:58 PM
I'm a big supporter of the idea (heck, they don't even have to change the name of the series; just give it a subtitle that implies other Nintendo characters are involved). They could do some really awesome stuff with tracks based on locations from non-Mario games. I wouldn't add new items from non-Mario games, though; that would take things a tad too far. But adding other Nintendo characters and tracks would be a neat evolution for the series.
---
Formerly known as funky1
On Twitter @ MattShaneCEP - tweeting about games, music, shows, wrestling, etc.
#17GenoPosted 2/11/2013 3:50:06 PM(edited)
Continuing to call it Mario Kart, but adding in other Nintendo characters are hidden characters is, honestly, a smart idea. Just adding in the relevant characters would be proper: Pikachu, Ness, Captain Falcon, Pit, etc..

Having said that, I'd kill to see Ness in Mario Kart riding a miniaturized version of the Runaway Five tour bus, complete with music. Better yet if that music only plays in tunnels.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#18Arsene-LupinPosted 2/11/2013 4:00:05 PM
I think so. Mario Kart games only have, like, 4 or 5 characters that are worth using, and a bunch of garbage. Who would rather play as a Koopa or Toad than Link or Zelda?

Who -ever- wants to play as Baby Mario or Baby Peach or whatever? Yikes.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#19shotgunheadshotPosted 2/11/2013 4:08:26 PM(edited)
Does it really matter? Your just controlling karts and not characters.
#20StephenYap3Posted 2/11/2013 5:03:14 PM
Tzuba12 posted...
This idea has been brought up like a million times.

And I just don't think some of Nintendo's characters would look right riding Go Karts.

This. I wouldn't want to be racing around the track seeing Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, or any other unfitting character on karts. That'd be weird. Very weird.

Instead, just leave Mario Kart alive.
---
I have trouble communicating with people :(