Should Nintendo abandon Mario Kart for...

#21ultimatedorkboyPosted 2/12/2013 3:47:31 PM
A big fat NO from me.
---
I love my Vita :)
http://tinyurl.com/9wrdhuj
#22GloryChaosPosted 2/12/2013 3:57:50 PM
It's unfitting for Zelda, Link, or Ganon to drive a kart. But not unfitting for King boo, a character with no feet and extremely short hands, to drive around in one?
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#23Robot_SatanPosted 2/12/2013 4:03:48 PM
GloryChaos posted...
It's unfitting for Zelda, Link, or Ganon to drive a kart. But not unfitting for King boo, a character with no feet and extremely short hands, to drive around in one?

1) It's anachronistic. Zelda, Link, and Ganon are in a medieval-type setting. There tend not to be fantasy Go-Karts

2) Zelda is a more serious series then Mario. Being a serious series also lends itself to not driving around in Go-Karts
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and are 100% proud of it, put this as your sig
If it is past 10, expect a steep drop in my grammar skills
#24VycoulPosted 2/12/2013 4:16:10 PM
Tzuba12 posted...
This idea has been brought up like a million times.

And I just don't think some of Nintendo's characters would look right riding Go Karts.

My thoughts exactly.
---
Thank God for inner monologue. ~ Miles Edgeworth
#25SharmHedgehogPosted 2/12/2013 4:59:07 PM
alacer807 posted...
Vyers posted...
Nah. I just think that they need to reinvent Mario Kart.

For one, it definitely needs to take notes from Sonic & Sega Racing. Brisker pacing, PERHAPS incorporate more franchises, but like S&S, make it far more about Mario than every other brand.

For another, it needs to lose laps, though keep them for classic tracks. Basically, all tracks work like Wuhu tracks and New Rainbow Road.

Classic tracks DLC. Besides what's immediately available, have every single track available, encouraging to buy in bundle with cheaper prices if you buy by release. This could also be used for previous characters.

However! It also needs to work within a system that gives you access to these tracks in every single Mario Kart game that gets released after that.

Introduce Casual Racing, Normal Racing, and Advanced Racing. Casual Racing is basically the set-up we have now - that grants Blue Shells and the like based on rank in the race. Normal Racing is similar to this, but with more balance between helping out the losers and rewarding pure skill. Advanced Racing would be based almost entirely on skill; in this mode, the Blue Shell is disabled. This way, Mario Kart becomes more palatable to those who want to play it as a competitive game, but can still be enjoyed by those who are less experienced.

Item Switch for offline play, same mechanics as Smash Bros. (Blue Shell only on Very High!)

Customizable tracks, using the new tracks in the game to design them.

This would be amazing.

Agreed. I would buy two copies. Nintendo, HIRE THIS MAN.
---
R.I.P. fungivore, 2012-2012
#26AlphrinPosted 2/14/2013 8:19:46 AM
I think the Toon versions of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf would fit in with the Mario Kart setting just fine.

But anyway, I like the idea of non-Mario characters and non-Mario stages appearing as unlockable cameos (MK has already had R.O.B., Pac-man, and Miis before, after all), but the series should stay primarily a Mario series.
---
I've decided not to have a signature.
#27GhetsisPosted 2/14/2013 8:27:11 AM
Robot_Satan posted...
Zelda is a more serious series then Mario. Being a serious series also lends itself to not driving around in Go-Karts

That didn't stop Dracula or Gray Fox from driving around in Go-Karts in Konami Krazy Racers
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#28ljobenzaPosted 2/14/2013 9:53:30 AM
It baffles me how much people are opposed to this and making the stupidest of reasons why.

Wouldn't look right riding on go karts? It's a kart. You ride it. Anyone who has arms and hands can ride a kart. They'll only have to design the kart to fit with the character. Heck they could even just use vehicles the characters already rode in their series like Kirby on a Warp Star.
#29FAT____MANPosted 2/14/2013 9:54:36 AM
Nintendo kart? No.

Nintendo racing? Yes.
#30BringerOfPiePosted 2/14/2013 10:15:55 AM
Like everyone else, I agree with Vyers.

Mario Kart doesn't need to be thrown out. The series is Nintendo's 2nd best money-printer next to Pokemon. But it does need a reboot. I stopped playing MK7 after a week because of how bored I was with the formula.

Games like Diddy Kong Racing and Sonic & Sega Racing Transformed were great games after stealing tons of stuff from Mario Kart. I say steal some stuff back! I haven't played Transformed, but it seems like a much more fully realized version of MK7's glider and underwater concepts, and DKR had that way back in 1997. Items need reinvention too. Yeah, I know Nintendo wants to be the one who other developers steal idea from and not vice versa, but if the competition comes up with a brilliant idea while your series has remained stagnant for years, I say go for it.