3DS XL worth extra $100?

#1k_lub242Posted 2/11/2013 3:47:28 PM(edited)
First, I get that this has been discussed. However, it's usually a $30 price difference, not $100. Different situation.

I haven't owned a DS since early on in the life of the DS Lite, so I figured I might as well use some of my tax return money to get a new one. I'm torn between the 3DS and 3DS XL though... seems like most everyone says the XL is better, but I would also end up paying a lot more for it. I found a used 3DS in great condition on Craigslist for $110, but there aren't any XL's so I would have to spend $200+tax to get one new. Big price different. Thoughts?

-I don't care (much) about the extra portability of the 3DS
-I'm 6'0", so I have pretty big hands
-Ergonomics are pretty big to me. Is the XL more comfortable to game on for an hour or two at a time?
-While the extra $100 wouldn't mean that I starve or anything, I'm certainly not loaded with cash. We're talking doubling the price, so that's a big difference.
#2jedinatPosted 2/11/2013 3:48:53 PM
k_lub242 posted...
-Ergonomics are pretty big to me. Is the XL more comfortable to game on for an hour or two at a time?

Yes. The original to the XL is pretty much night and day comfort-wise.
#3k_lub242(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 3:50:55 PM
jedinat posted...
k_lub242 posted...

Yes. The original to the XL is pretty much night and day comfort-wise.

So much so that it's worth double the price? I remember my DS Lite wasn't half bad. It definitely could get a little uncomfortable playing Mario Kart for too long because it was so thin and small, but it was tolerable enough. Regular 3DS is slightly bigger and more comfortable than DS Lite, right?
#4jedinatPosted 2/11/2013 3:56:42 PM(edited)
k_lub242 posted...
Regular 3DS is slightly bigger and more comfortable than DS Lite, right?

No actually. I don't think so. At least, it's less comfortable to hold than the DSi was (never really used the Lite). I think it's the button placement and it being heavier. Also, the stylus is a complete pain to remove on the 3DS (so I never really bothered with it). Much more convenient on the XL.

Unless you're really strapped for cash I would go with the XL.
#5shotgunheadshotPosted 2/11/2013 3:53:44 PM
Don't you have Big hands like you said? Then get the XL for sure, your hands will wrap around the handheld more. The bigger screens alone are worth it. I don't own a 3ds but i would choose XL.
#6Dragongod165Posted 2/11/2013 3:55:19 PM
3DS to XL is the best hardware revision since GBA to SP imo. Screen size is so worth it. Also, when it comes to handhelds, new is always > used.
---
"So it's a game of betrayal, then...?"
#7k_lub242(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 4:00:30 PM
Dragongod165 posted...
3DS to XL is the best hardware revision since GBA to SP imo. Screen size is so worth it. Also, when it comes to handhelds, new is always > used.

You're too convincing. I may have to. It is, after all, a bigger tax return than I expected.
#8k_lub242(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 4:06:36 PM
There's a Target 20 minutes away that still has some holiday bundle going on, $200 for a blue XL and Mario Kart 7. Resistance... fading...
#9LinkMaster2703Posted 2/11/2013 4:09:07 PM
Either way, I wouldn't buy a used system. Especially on Craigslist, no accountability from the seller.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/C_Dalke
#10Dragongod165Posted 2/11/2013 4:19:00 PM
k_lub242 posted...
There's a Target 20 minutes away that still has some holiday bundle going on, $200 for a blue XL and Mario Kart 7. Resistance... fading...

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT
---
"So it's a game of betrayal, then...?"