3DS the best bet for "hardcore" Nintendo titles this gen?

#1Solid_SOAPPosted 2/11/2013 6:07:26 PM
Is it me or does Nintendo seem to be putting more effort into high quality games with lots of depth, good stories with characters, voice acting, etc, than they currently are on the Wii U? Obviously the Wii U just came out, but even its upcoming line-up of Nintendo published/created games are much more casual than what's on the 3DS right now. With Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening bringing back two either dead or obscure Nintendo franchises that take a lot of skill to play in addition to their quality stories with great characters, OoT 3D, Paper Mario: Sticker Star as well as the new Luigi's Mansion coming out, it just seems that way to me.

Wii U started out with NSMBU and Nintendo Land, two great games, but simple and easy to play. Coming up from Nintendo is a new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Yoshi game, all of which aren't particularly exciting. The talks of both a brand new Zelda and a Wind Waker remake are exciting, but those are so far in the future it's hard to get excited for them right now. I am so happy with my 3DS right now to the point where I just don't see a reason to pick up a Wii U, who else feels this way?
#2AnclationPosted 2/11/2013 6:49:48 PM
I think both consoles will end up with plenty of high quality Nintendo games in the end, though right now the 3DS obviously has quite the headstart. Remember though, it took a while for the 3DS to get some really great exclusives (Super Mario 3D Land came out 8 months after the 3DS launched, Kid Icarus: Uprising arrived a year after the launch). Plus, it's not like we always know in advance which games will be the more "hardcore" ones (I wouldn't be surprised if Luigi's Mansion 2 ends up being easier than the Wii U 3D Mario, and it almost certainly will be shorter). I personally doubt Nintendo will let the 3DS overshadow the Wii U in terms of its first party lineup, and though the 3DS certainly does enable them to make the kind of high end 3D games their past handhelds didn't, it shouldn't come at the expense of their Wii U projects.
#3aamotPosted 2/11/2013 6:54:12 PM
That might be partially on purpose. The Wii U is meant for the entire family (grandma and your kids) to sit around playing together. Handhelds are a much more individual experience, where the skill gap and playing field don't have to be leveled as harshly. But what I'm really saying is that:

The 3DS is for hardc0re d00dz like us, brother.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."