Help me out?

#1blohangelPosted 2/11/2013 6:25:20 PM
I want to buy SMT:Devil Survivor Overclocked, but how is it gameplay-wise? Can I easily get absorbed? Can I sink hours upon hours into this game?
---
"We don't play EDF for graphics, we play it for massive carnage we lay upon alien scum" -gamemaster712
PSN: Angel_Garcilazo/3DS FC: 4940-5942-3940
#2aamotPosted 2/11/2013 6:29:24 PM(edited)
If you like challenging, anime-inspired, demon-battling SRPGs, then yes. I played through Devil Survivor 2 three times in immediate succession (not a short game), and I can't think of any other games I've done that for without burning out on.

Overclocked is probably the best offering that Devil Survivor has right now. It puts the new additions from DS2 into a DS1 remake.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#3blohangel(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 6:33:55 PM
Interesting.
Are the characters memorable?
And how is the music? That's important.
---
"We don't play EDF for graphics, we play it for massive carnage we lay upon alien scum" -gamemaster712
PSN: Angel_Garcilazo/3DS FC: 4940-5942-3940
#4KneekickerPosted 2/11/2013 6:42:50 PM
blohangel posted...
Interesting.
Are the characters memorable?
And how is the music? That's important.

The characters are memorable since throughout the game you can spend time with them and listen to them ramble about their issues (and maybe help fix them). The music is terrible though, Devil Survivor 2 has a MUCH better soundtrack.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6117-3933 PSN: ansonip2000
Official Take-Mikazuchi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#5aamotPosted 2/11/2013 7:25:55 PM(edited)
The characters are your typical anime-inspired bunch. The quiet tough guy, the goofy screw up, the quiet pretty girl, the spunky loudmouth girl, the 'Hates Everyone' guy, etc. I disliked most of them, but if you're into anime-type stuff you should feel right at home.

The music is...meh? The actual music is decent, but the way it's used is really bad lol. It'll be stuff like:

Quiet Loner: "I can't believe the world is destroyed. My...our families..." /music is heavy and depressing orchestra stuff,
Goofball: "Well, at least I won't have school tomorroz lol!!" /cue an instant musical carnival.

And this happens in most conversations lol. But the actual story is *good*, despite how unbalanced it can appear.

Gameplay is probably the best SRPG battling I've ever played. Great strategic depth (SERIOUSLY), solid mission variety, and a strength / weakness system that molds the game without breaking it.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."