What do DS games look like on the XL?

#1STE573Posted 2/12/2013 3:32:51 PM
Currently own a standard 3DS and I cannot play RPGs in the full screen mode on it because the text makes my eyes hurt after extended play and I refuse to use the actual resolution setting due to the massive black bars and it being the size of a 10 year old phone screen. I sold my DS lite a while ago so I currently don't really have a way to enjoy a backlog of DS RPGs I have (recently bought Dragon Quest 4,5,6, Final Fantasy tactics a2 and Chrono Trigger).

Now, my question is, I have the chance to pick up a second hand DSiXL for 70, should I go with that, or sell both the 3DS and use the 70 from not buying a DSiXL to just get a 3DSXL? Is the quality any better? And I mean a decent amount better.

Cheers.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#2rizsparkyPosted 2/12/2013 3:55:02 PM
Of course there is some pixelation on both the XL's, if your happy with the normal 3DS with regards to playing actual 3DS games then stick with it and get a DSiXL but if you want to benefit from the better battery life, larger screen and antiglare features of the 3DSXL i suppose that should be your choice.
---
3DS FC: 4597-0164-7987
#3STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 4:05:41 PM
rizsparky posted...
Of course there is some pixelation on both the XL's, if your happy with the normal 3DS with regards to playing actual 3DS games then stick with it and get a DSiXL but if you want to benefit from the better battery life, larger screen and antiglare features of the 3DSXL i suppose that should be your choice.

Thanks man, DSiXL it is. I'll probably pick up a 3DSXL at some point like.

Cheers.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#4-WellknownPosted 2/12/2013 4:12:08 PM
There is literally no point in buying a DSi XL, just saying.
---
http://i.imgur.com/FKUeLHf.gif
#5AnclationPosted 2/12/2013 4:19:08 PM
-Wellknown posted...

Not true, the DSi XL has much stronger sound, which is definitely a point in its favor. Depending on the brightness setting it may also have significantly better battery life than a 3DS XL with the 3D turned off.
#6CrybabyloverPosted 2/12/2013 4:39:26 PM
Anclation posted...
-Wellknown posted...

Not true, the DSi XL has much stronger sound, which is definitely a point in its favor. Depending on the brightness setting it may also have significantly better battery life than a 3DS XL with the 3D turned off.

While these points are true, it's important to consider the long term aspects. The 3DS XL will not go obsolete for some time and benefits that go beyond simply playing DS games with the additional features of better hardware and software, the eShop, future addition of MiiVerse, online capabilities, etc., and you get the point. Yes, the battery life is weaker, that cannot be argued.

The weaker sound problem that the majority people complain on here is a myth. It uses the same exact speakers as the 3DS, unless you're just suggesting that the DSi XL has better speakers than the original 3DS as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nintendo_portable_consoles#Nintendo_3DS_and_Nintendo_DS_lines

The 3DS and 3DS XL both share these speakers:
6 channels
(two 8-bit "Direct Sound" PCM channels, plus the 4 channels from Game Boy)

While the entire last-gen DS family line share these:
4 channels
(2 square wave channels, 1 PCM 4-bit wave sample channel, 1 noise channel and 1 audio input from the cartridge)

The point is that not only is the investment better in the long run, but the quality is still great, regardless of whether or not you get a DSi XL now and a 3DS XL later or just a 3DS XL now. Save your money and go with the 3DS XL and spend the rest on more games. The price points between the 3DS XL and DSi XL are too great to pass by; the 3DS XL version is the best way to go.
---
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
[3DS FC: 1289-8445-3650] | [NNID: xShiga] | [PSN: Shiga2714] | [Steam: xxshigaxx]
#7STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 4:50:14 PM(edited)
I get what you are saying, but I'm just getting a console to play some DS games on. I already have a 3DS but the DS games just don't look right on it, so it's not like I'll be missing any of the features you are listing.
---
Im British!
#8RazieruPosted 2/12/2013 5:17:07 PM
TC, your first mistake is thinking you can play DS games on any 3DS in proper resolution. There is a very noticeable degradation in graphical quality in DS games on EITHER 3DS system, and only willful ignorance will shrug it off.

It is undeniable that the other DSes, especially the DSi XL, will display DS games in their PROPER and pristine resolution - the way DS games are SUPPOSED to be viewed. On either 3DS system, the images will ALWAYS display in a blurry and washed out resolution. Colors are improper, low grade, and grainy, and are adorned by the black void around the imagery of DS games on the 3DS.

STE573 posted...
Now, my question is, I have the chance to pick up a second hand DSiXL for 70,

What are you waiting for?! Given ALL that I mentioned above, and that incredible steal of a price, go for it by all means. The DSi XL is the cream of the crop for viewing and playing DS games, and at that price, it's a no-brainer.

should I go with that, or sell both the 3DS and use the 70 from not buying a DSiXL to just get a 3DSXL?

The 3DS XL has the same abysmal image quality for DS games as the 3DS, along with its dire sound quality and brightness. From MY experience, not only will you have to keep the volume at MAX to hear anything, but some notes can't be heard depending on which piece of audio you're listening to on the 3DS XL period. Yes, the sound quality is THAT bad. Also, don't be surprised if you have to have your brightness set at MAX as well, given its downgrade in quality as well.

Cheers.

I have nothing in my mug to lift.

Anclation posted...
Not true, the DSi XL has much stronger sound, which is definitely a point in its favor.

Of course there's still a huge point in buying a DSi XL. It simply does DS gaming infinitely better than either 3DS any day with much better sound as mentioned above, brightness, IMAGE QUALITY, and battery life.
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.
#9AnclationPosted 2/12/2013 5:40:09 PM
Crybabylover posted...
The weaker sound problem that the majority people complain on here is a myth. It uses the same exact speakers as the 3DS, unless you're just suggesting that the DSi XL has better speakers than the original 3DS as well.

I haven't directly compared the sound of my original 3DS with my DSi XL, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the latter turned out to have better sound (the DSi XL speakers are surprisingly loud). Compared with the 3DS XL it definitely wins out though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79UUHCg2v_s

3:05 is where the speaker-related discussion begins, leading up to a direct comparison. The DSi XL has WAY louder sound.
#10gogeta85Posted 2/12/2013 5:46:00 PM
What Pisses me off....is how no one is saying how great DS games look on 3DS XL,when in fact they look much better on there cause of the bigger screens.