Shigeru Miyamoto "I have never said that video games are an art"

#1MuZemikePosted 2/12/2013 11:45:22 PM
Miyamoto was in the U.K. to accept a Fellowship award from BAFTA, and said, "It's a great honor that my name might be listed as a fellowship member along with such a great director as Hitchcock."

At the same time, Miyamoto resisted the idea of putting games in the same classification as film, noting that he sees his role more as that of an entertainer. "I have never said that video games (are) an art," he said.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendos-miyamoto-talks-games-for-education-and-games-as-art/

He also says similar things in another interview.

Shigeru Miyamoto "What we have created are not art but products. For us, the main are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

Source (in Japanese)
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0910/27/news082_3.html
#2jedinatPosted 2/12/2013 11:51:44 PM
I think his distinction isn't to diminish video games so much as to emphasize that the games they make are for people to enjoy... not just to "say" something or be an aesthetic or whatever... there's a lot of movies that are powerful and well made but not fun to watch.
#3lambchipsPosted 2/12/2013 11:52:14 PM
Art is up to how the audience perceives something

for example
If you see a kid just throwing around paint, some people might call it a mess while others might see it as an art

Art has no shape or form, its up to the audience to give it one
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#4Starwars4JPosted 2/13/2013 12:01:10 AM
Ah yes, I remember when the trolls were going nuts over this trying to spin it into a negative. They tend to do this whenever there's immensely positive news about the 3DS going on.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#5zavlinzPosted 2/13/2013 12:12:53 AM
Well, its an attitude. Personally id rather developers approach games as art, rather than a product.
#6Arsene-LupinPosted 2/13/2013 12:19:34 AM
I agree.

The basic definition of art is simply something that exists for its own sake. Starry Night is art whether or not it's in a museum or burried under a wheat field.

But a game is only a game if there's someone there to play it. It has no merit or value otherwise.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#7Devilman_AmonPosted 2/13/2013 1:45:54 AM
lambchips posted...
Art is up to how the audience perceives something

for example
If you see a kid just throwing around paint, some people might call it a mess while others might see it as an art

Art has no shape or form, its up to the audience to give it one

Yeah but is what he's doing serve a workable purpose for a consumer that useful to them? He's throwing paint around. His intention isn't to "make a product worth buying". It's for his own enjoyment.

Yes we could try to force an issue by arguing said person could 'defend' such actions by said kid as they might deem it 'useful for me, for I see it as art therefore...I'll buy it; ie, it is a useful product for me..", but that's a bit eccentric and overreaching. Yes you can sell and buy art, but that isnt necessarily its primary purpose.

Now, a kid making a playable iOS game then selling it on the market, that is different. That is a product.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#8n00bsaib0tPosted 2/13/2013 2:09:20 AM
I think he is just being humble. He is saying he isnt an artist, just someone who makes games for entertainment
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#9G1ingyPosted 2/13/2013 2:38:36 AM
I'm just going to point out that the definition of art is as varied as the definitions of good/evil inbetween each individuals...
#10MuZemike(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 2:05:48 AM
Indeed Nintendo games may not be art but they are still enjoyable for little kids and have its own worth.