Is Soul Hacker supposed to be better than Devil Survivor?

#1kamikaze135Posted 2/13/2013 3:25:54 PM
I enjoyed Nocturne and I'm playing through Devil Survivor now and think it's trash. I'm forcing myself to get through it. Anyway, is Soul Hacker supposed to be closer to Nocturne in terms of gameplay and story?
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#2saint35Posted 2/13/2013 3:27:18 PM
Soul Hackers is closest to Shin Megami Tensei II in terms of gameplay. First person, six party members, three human party members, rest of them consist of demons you recruit through the game etc. I personally think Soul Hackers is one of the best games of the entire SMT series. I couldn't get into Devil Survivor either. It's not like Nocturne or Devil Survivor overall though. Just give the game a try and you may enjoy it.
---
Why modern education is failing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6c-HY8dck
#3kamikaze135(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 3:30:29 PM
Thanks for the response. I wish I had bought Strange Journey instead, lol. Is the story in Soul Hacker any good?
---
#4saint35Posted 2/13/2013 3:36:48 PM
Story in Soul Hackers is very good. The game has much more of a story then Nocturne. It's about a group of hackers who live in a futuristic city who try to get to the bottom of a conspiracy that's affecting the whole city.
---
Why modern education is failing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6c-HY8dck
#5kamikaze135(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 3:45:52 PM
Sounds interesting and I can't wait. Thanks again!
---
#6Rasen543Posted 2/13/2013 7:49:44 PM
Devil Survivor 2 is a lot better apparently (I myself haven't played 1 but enjoyed 2 to death)

I know a bunch of people who hate 1 but love 2.

But yeah if you loved Nocturne you'll like SH.
---
Official Kodama of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#7zavlinzPosted 2/13/2013 8:06:18 PM
^well cant say i understand why someone would hate 1 but love 2. All of the core mechanics are the same. What made the difference? social links?
#8DynamicJumpIuffPosted 2/13/2013 8:06:55 PM
Devil Survivor 2 is a lot better apparently (I myself haven't played 1 but enjoyed 2 to death)

It is. :u

I know a bunch of people who hate 1 but love 2.

Half of those people were probably me but you never bothered checking the usernames. Maybe. n:

But yeah if you loved Nocturne you'll like SH.

I can agree with this.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#9DynamicJumpIuffPosted 2/13/2013 8:13:02 PM
^well cant say i understand why someone would hate 1 but love 2. All of the core mechanics are the same. What made the difference? social links?

Improved and refined mechanics, more skills, physical is pretty awesome now, more demon variety, better story pacing, etc.

Other things are pretty subjective like characters. I thought DeSu2 had the better characters overall but DeSu1s cast was more consistant. I mean, the gap of quality from Joe to Ronaldo is MUCH bigger than the quality gap between Gin/Haru and Yuzu. At the very least, Ronaldo was much more fun to make fun of than Yuzu.

Music? DeSu2 is more consistently good but the handful of good songs in DeSu1 are fantastic.

Story? Yeah, gonna give it to the first here. You also had more influence in the plot as well. Kinda like Mass Effect.

The story in 2 is still pretty serviceable.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#10zavlinzPosted 2/13/2013 8:22:02 PM
^more or less agreed. However when it comes to skills/mechanics, most of that is fixed in the 3ds version of 1 (including making physical worthwhile again).
But still, i can understand somebody thinking 2 is the better game, but cant understand somebody who hates 1, loving 2.
And yeah, 2 had the better characters, yet its story fell a little short (but good enough).