Anybody noticing this...

#1Darkstorm16Posted 2/13/2013 8:35:37 PM
This is just a thought mind you, but does it seem like games are becoming less of a collector's thing? I mean the old days the game boxes were important because the boxart, description was all on the box itself. Then the ds is slimmer but nice hard plastic cases, the only downfall is the boxart and info is just printed slip of paper. Now the problem is the plastic is holey and feel flimsy. On top of that manuals once were big thick things (that i love reading before i start up the game just to get all giddy....no longer can i). So all that leaves us is this comparison:

Old days:
Nice thick manual
Somwtimes got a world map
Awesome box art with the game box

Now:
Flimsy cases (well...the 3ds the other ones have good cases)
Just a cart
A foldout pamphlet
Sometimes i wonder how can games cost more now than even the gba era...ahh well. But my point is, seems like games are becoming less collector's items, i always love viewing my library of games like a booklover loves to look at their books, but now i just look at what its becoming. I'll still buy the physical because it saves room for digital only, but its just sad.
---
Own a Vita, your a troll, own a 3ds, your a fanboy, own an IOS device, you have no opinion...tis the curse on these boards.
#2DynamicJumpIuffPosted 2/13/2013 8:40:45 PM
On top of that manuals once were big thick things (that i love reading before i start up the game just to get all giddy....no longer can i). So all that leaves us is this comparison:

Some games still have thick manuals. I know Devil Survivor Overclocked has a pretty meaty one.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#3BigDaddyWingnutPosted 2/13/2013 8:40:54 PM
I know that feel, bro. Sadly, with the digital age in full swing, the days of fancy packaging and fun to read manuals are rapidly dying. At least there are still companies like Atlus who seem to share the same mindset as us.
---
3DS:1547-5206-2758 (Wingnut)
SmashKing just equated liking Animal Crossing to supporting rape. Yep, that just happened. - Tzuba12
#4TehTrumpCardPosted 2/13/2013 8:45:55 PM(edited)
Vita games don't even have physical manuals.

Hell, the bundled games don't even come with proper cases.

Although 99% of FPS games have 2 pages that they call a manual. You can tell Dead Space 3 was an FPS before popping in the disc because it had the FPS "manual" rather than the slightly meaty one that the other two had.
---
...Life is tedious if it ain't flowing... Trump x E4's Caitlin
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#5Grand_BluePosted 2/13/2013 8:48:24 PM
I want the cases to be more firm and I want an actual manual with good box art, that's old school.

On a related note, how come European DS cases use cheap plastic and are considerably fatter? I have a Spanish Pokemon Black and a European Final Fantasy 3 and the cases are fat and made of cheap plastic -_-
---
The Boondocks on Adult Swim is my favorite anime.
#6ZhacariasPosted 2/13/2013 8:49:46 PM
It's not that they're becoming less of a collector's thing, it's just that there are now specific editions of games called "Collector's Edition". Though the regular copy can be collected and stored away, most people prefer to collect via those editions.
#7ferofaxPosted 2/13/2013 10:37:25 PM(edited)
I believe it's law that pushes these companies to vastly reduce things they include in the package. Although I myself enjoy those fat, full-colored manuals that are a joy to read. My best, best memories of one is the manual that came with Pocket Monsters Pikachu -- I loved it so much! I had so many translated doodles there scribbled everywhere (it's Japanese, and I was translating important game terms that I frequently encounter).

I also loved the one that came with Final Fantasy Legend I (I think that's the title, GB, create 4 generic characters and beat towers named after 4 Chinese mythological gods like Genbu, Byakko, Seiryu and Suzaku). Also filled with scribbles and drawings and whatnot -- that's how I love manuals, btw, by putting my thoughts all over it.
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#8CubeTVPosted 2/14/2013 12:40:53 AM
I like the Warioware Inc. Mega Party Game$ manual. It's funny and somewhat interactive. XD
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#9FaustavusPosted 2/14/2013 1:45:13 AM
It's a very sad thing. I'm someone who buys physical games.
I miss strong, solid feeling cases. I'm sure you know how flimsy Xbox 360 cases are (even more so than a few years ago now that they cut hunks out of the plastic) and it really bothers me how even brand new the case will be 'smooshed' inwards.

TehTrumpCard posted...
Vita games don't even have physical manuals.

Hell, the bundled games don't even come with proper cases.

Although 99% of FPS games have 2 pages that they call a manual. You can tell Dead Space 3 was an FPS before popping in the disc because it had the FPS "manual" rather than the slightly meaty one that the other two had.

They don't? That's disgusting, kinda turns me off of wanting one later down the road.

Manuals for those popular FPS games are a joke. Also the manual that game with Alice: Madness returns was a tiny pamphlet.
Gaming these days is very disheartening.
#10OoSubaruoOPosted 2/14/2013 1:51:08 AM
Atlus still makes thick manuals.