so is donkey kong a Wii port?

#11gransPosted 2/14/2013 9:22:28 AM
So far the resolution looks like the only downgrade that will be required of it (for obvious reasons of course). The game looks extremely faithful to the Wii version's visuals though otherwise, and there's also the 3D effect (which looks great from the trailer). Nothing seems to have been really downgraded other than the resolution of the screen itself.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#12Nate_DihldorffPosted 2/14/2013 9:23:13 AM
grans posted...
Semi-downgraded port with <hopefully> removal of waggle to roll.

And how do you figure it's downgraded in any way when absolutely nothing is known about it yet besides it being a strait port of the Wii version? We know literally nothing whatsoever about the game besides the fact that it's a 3D rerelease of the Wii version. Wait until we see at least a video of it before you assume whether it's better or worse.

You don't honestly think the character models and native resolution are identical to the Wii version, do you?
---
Random GameFAQs user in regards to a used game: "No tutorial since its from GameStop."
#13daniel1232323(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 1:52:49 PM(edited)
Nate_Dihldorff posted...
grans posted...
Semi-downgraded port with <hopefully> removal of waggle to roll.

And how do you figure it's downgraded in any way when absolutely nothing is known about it yet besides it being a strait port of the Wii version? We know literally nothing whatsoever about the game besides the fact that it's a 3D rerelease of the Wii version. Wait until we see at least a video of it before you assume whether it's better or worse.

You don't honestly think the character models and native resolution are identical to the Wii version, do you?

Idk. look at resident evil revelations HD. that came from the 3DS. and the only reason it looks better on the console is because its HD. So idk. we will most likely have to wait for the game. like most 3DS games, they look way better on the system than screen shots or videos. my guess is that it will look the same just worse resolution
---
you want mother in america? don't you know? it doesn't exist.
#14gransPosted 2/18/2013 10:24:42 AM
Belated post since I missed some messages. Sorry for the bump.

The native resolution, obviously not. And had you read any of my other posts, you wouldn't have needed to ask this as I clearly said numerous times that this is inevitable. But it's not a huge difference in quality, very negligible (particularly considering the smaller screen), the 3DS has its own advantage in the form of the 3D effect regardless. Unless the game was displaying in 1080p or something (Wii is only 480p), I'd much rather play the game with the 3D effect instead of the already relatively low resolution Wii. This game looks like it was made to be in 3D.

The character models on the other hand absolutely appear to be identical to the Wii version. They aren't missing any of their polygons or anything. I've compared the screens and trailer of the 3DS version directly to the Wii version. I can easily spot whether 3D models have been downgraded, reduced polygon counts in particular are easy to spot (like in Snake Eater 3D). No such problem here. They're doing a really good job with this port so far visually.
---
-Granville
#15deimos91Posted 2/18/2013 11:00:05 AM
daniel1232323 posted...
Or is it actually a sequel to the wii donkey kong returns?

ND said remake so expect new content
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#16wisemiddsPosted 2/18/2013 11:08:58 AM
A port, but its instantly going to be better because there doing away with the waggle gimmick (should of been an option in the original without having to resort to homebrew)
---
3DS friend code: 3652 - 0628 - 9229
XBL, PSN: wisemidds
#17Jason Hart MaiviaPosted 2/18/2013 5:14:21 PM
No Waggle = Traditional controls...it could end up being the superior version, unless they do something stupid, like ignore buttons and force touch screen controls.
---
Praise Rainbow Mika
SSBB: 3652-6261-7096 + Mario Kart Wii: 2707-7247-9079 + Samurai Warriors 3: 0346-6035-0276
#18gransPosted 2/18/2013 5:18:23 PM
Again unlikely to have forced waggle or touch controls at this point. Since the icon at the end of the trailer indicates "X" is now used to beat up the tiki mask, that's likely the button now used for the other shake related mechanics. Retro is probably aware of the criticism of the waggle controls anyways.

I hope they have an option to put the menu items such as the life meter and other HUD items on the bottom screen, so we can keep the top screen clean and clear for 3D. In fact, I wonder what purpose the bottom screen will serve in the first place other than that...
---
-Granville