So umm...any words on an Advance Wars game for 3DS in the plans?

#11NeonYoshi11Posted 2/15/2013 12:38:50 AM
G1ingy posted...
DoR wasn't that bad...although it definitely was flawed in a lot of areas.

MOST theme music for the CO's weren't as memorable as the previous series'. While the antagonists were kinda interesting, the main characters for the most part were pretty boring outside of the red head and her sniper partner, except those two didn't get much moments for themselves.

In the gameplay end of things, the influence of CO's were greatly reduced, which is what hurt the game the most imo. The ability to man a unit with a CO is a neat concept, but it makes absolutely no sense when said unit dies.

On the other hand...Will>>>>>>>>>>english localization of Colins.

Every song was a rock song that is why.

At least there were other sounds in the older songs, it was the same cheesy instruments and tempo for ever CO.

The need to go back to a brighter color Art Style, but give it a good story and add some RPG elements to it...not a ton but just enough to make it feel fresh and new.
#12Xenesis XenonPosted 2/15/2013 12:40:54 AM
NeonYoshi11 posted...
The need to go back to a brighter color Art Style, but give it a good story and add some RPG elements to it...not a ton but just enough to make it feel fresh and new.

They did.

It's called Fire Emblem.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#13G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 12:43:18 AM(edited)
Well there were some themes that stood out.

I personally liked Isabella's theme...although it may have to do with the fact that it stood out compared to the other themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psKpELR4rqU

Penny's wasn't bad either to some extent, but it took far too long into the theme to get to the pay-off.

Xenesis Xenon posted...
NeonYoshi11 posted...

They did.

It's called Fire Emblem.

And every other Advance Wars before Days of Ruin....
#14Xenesis XenonPosted 2/15/2013 12:44:07 AM
G1ingy posted...
And every other Advance Wars before Days of Ruin....

There's no RPG elements in AW1-3. (The skills system in AW3 barely approaches one, it's more of an unlockable cheats system anyway).
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#15G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 11:48:32 PM
He said some RPG elements, just barely enough to make a difference.

That pretty much fit what Dual Strike had.
#16GipFacePosted 2/16/2013 12:19:09 AM(edited)
People who hate the music listened to it out of their tinny DS speakers. Lin's theme is especially bad on them.

Every song was a rock song that is why. At least there were other sounds in the older songs, it was the same cheesy instruments and tempo for ever CO.
If you listened carefully, you'd realize that "rock guitars" have been a huge staple of the AW series. It's just that the GBA couldn't really emulate a realistic-sounding guitar. But they used that instrument a LOT. Andy, Nell, Jess, Drake, the AW2 menu and overworld theme, the Black Hole CO power theme. They all used that guitar riff.

Also, anyone who claims the COs in AW4 have "less influence" has no idea what they're talking about. The reverse is true: most of the AW3 (Dual Strike) COs are bland, and you could get away with build orders that were out-of-element. Eagle didn't need air units to be good, and Drake certainly didn't need sea units to be good. Weaknesses were negligible for the most part. This isn't true in AW4: all the COs have unique build orders that only work for them. Waylon has b-copters and bombers that puts Eagle's air force to shame. Lin wants to tech up and win with brute force. Will wants to build extra mechs and use them alongside other direct-fire units. Weaknesses are more profound: 100/100 and 110/110 is a weakness in AW4.

In addition, the AW4 CO boosts are generally greater than any boost in the old games that wasn't based on economy. Lin's 130/130 land units are going to slice through 100/100 units without much effort. That boost is greater than Max's boost. It's greater than Grimm's boost because terrain defense is weaker. If Lin's CO unit is spearheading a front, you either need to match it with your CO, or you need to retreat and fight elsewhere.

What separates AW4 from the others is that there is no catchup mechanic when you're behind. A skilled player can completely pummel a lesser player into submission and prevent the other player from ever invoking a CO power. The old games featured defensive charging, which is more noob-friendly. The noob may lose, but at least he gets the satisfaction of using a super CO power once or twice. Since most players are generally bad at the game, they perceive AW4's more sound mechanics as less fun.

AW4 took about three years for the metagame to shape itself, which just goes to show how deep it was. People who had been playing the old games for years (me included) were unable to immediately master the game on day 1. Slowly but surely, as the skill level rose, claims like "antitanks are broken" and "Tabitha is overpowered" were disproven. AW4 is so much deeper on so many levels than the old games. Infantry spam and mech spam are gone. Choosing to leave bases empty is actually viable. 12 out of the 20 non-sea units see common play, including most of the tech units, which never saw play in the older games.
#17Hawke0Posted 2/17/2013 5:49:30 PM
I love them all more or less equally. While I do prefer the less serious tone of the first three, it would be pretty stupid to say they're 'better' based off something so subjective. How about we agree they're all good?
---
Little Mac, Pious Augustus, Mr. Dream, Ridley and Hawke for SSB4.
#18Xenesis XenonPosted 2/17/2013 6:01:45 PM
Pretty much. They all do different things, TBH.

I'd say the following are my opinion on the series:
AW1 has the best single player campaign and the most challenge
AW4 has the best multiplayer, balanced gameplay and map creation
AW3 has the most to do and the most customisation
AW2 is kinda there. I still maintain it's the weakest in the series, but still. It's still fun.
---
#19Hawke0Posted 2/17/2013 6:10:42 PM
Switch 4 and 3 and you have the exact opposite of my order.
---
Little Mac, Pious Augustus, Mr. Dream, Ridley and Hawke for SSB4.
#20Xenesis XenonPosted 2/17/2013 6:20:01 PM
Uh, my list isn't in order?
---