PSA: Forums are the most effective way to make waves.

#1VyersPosted 2/15/2013 3:18:43 AM
Seriously. Every time on this forum someone says "Omg this isn't Nintendo.com, why are you asking for this here", I shake my head. The reason that they are asking this here is that there are no venues by which change can occur. Nintendo.com has no contact option for anyone beyond an underpaid customer service rep who will give you an automated message with a bit of modification to suit your problem. This is true for nearly all companies, in situations where you are making such sweeping demands.

The fact is that no change, at least in gaming, comes from complaining to the company. It comes from drumming up complaints, about the eShop, about self-scratching, about poor localization track records. Operation Rainfall brought Xenoblade to the limelight for Nintendo, which didn't, and wouldn't have, understood that so many people wanted it had they not complained so much to other people. One person complaining to Nintendo is less effective than one person complaining to potentially thousands, who if even a 10th of them reciprocate by complaining as well, your "cause" is now hundreds stronger.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#2RayzerTagPosted 2/15/2013 5:22:55 AM
I agree.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#3Wynters387Posted 2/15/2013 5:27:52 AM
It's just, how you say, flatulence.
---
Remember Senor, crafter of love.
President of the NDF Official Archeops of the Pokemon X Board
#4GloryChaosPosted 2/15/2013 6:23:22 AM
Excluding the 50 Hz thing and Earthbound, Nintendo has payed a lot of attention to what people say on miiverse. That's why we've been getting those updates announced because it's what the majority has been asking for.

Usually, when you try to make waves on gamefaqs it snowballs into a huge flame war held by people who are making no attempt to properly communicate.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#5GenericName9Posted 2/15/2013 6:32:39 AM
The very best way to launch a successful F.U.D campaign for sure. Sometimes I REALLY wonder if some companies have P.R. dudes that they actually employ to sit on forums all day and undermine their competitors fanbase. It's not something you can really prove, but in the past decades I've seen so many things that really make you go "hmmm" you kinda see patterns emerge. Does anyone else ever wonder Is it really just simple trolling in some cases?

I've seen on quite a few different forums over the years where developers will go incognito and directly ask customers and fans questions relating to their experience and likes and dislikes. PlanetDoom was notorious for that, id software would pop in a lot, or the same at 3D Realms. Sometimes developers don't always lurk at their "official" site forums, they go where there's the most traffic or biggest hardcore fanbase.

You also see many times where some message boards usually seem to get the news first. Many gaming mags, gaming sites, or G4tv even have often used them as a source for news and public reaction. Message boards with heavy traffic are a great place to carry out market research, to know your fanbase.
---
If you were a boss I'd deathmatch ya in a minute!
#6MarsfordPosted 2/15/2013 7:48:06 AM
I concur.
---
Why are you NOT listening to White Skies when you could be listening to White Skies?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDhdP94TKc
#7McMarblesPosted 2/15/2013 8:17:36 AM
No, it's really, really not.

Ask yourself something; have you ever really changed anyone's mind about anything on a forum? Ever?

Forums aren't a place for exchanging ideas. They're just a big fat echo chamber. Nobody on a forum can see beyond his own thoughts.
---
Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Rainbow Dash is best pony. Fact.
#8GencoilPosted 2/15/2013 8:24:13 AM
I've always wondered, where do game developers look to get consumer opinions? They keep saying "our fans are saying this and this" yet they seem to ignore forums and social media almost entirely. Where are they getting their input from? Sales don't tell everything.
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#9AmazingManXPosted 2/15/2013 8:24:45 AM
I disagree. In fact I'm willing to say that unless you're voting with your wallet no one gives a damn what you say here. No body listens until you hit 'em in the pockets.
---
Promoting positivity on Gamefaqs. Let's sqauash the hate.
#10McMarblesPosted 2/15/2013 10:56:59 AM
Gencoil posted...
I've always wondered, where do game developers look to get consumer opinions? They keep saying "our fans are saying this and this" yet they seem to ignore forums and social media almost entirely. Where are they getting their input from? Sales don't tell everything.

Focus groups.
---
Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Rainbow Dash is best pony. Fact.