PSA: Forums are the most effective way to make waves.

#11jovewolfPosted 2/15/2013 11:32:43 AM
https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica

I'm pretty sure either of these would be more effective than Gamefaqs though.

While it's likely a Nintendo marketing guy hanging out here, there certainly Nintendo people paying attention to their Facebook and Twitter accounts.
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."
#12Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 12:43:56 PM
McMarbles posted...
No, it's really, really not.

Ask yourself something; have you ever really changed anyone's mind about anything on a forum? Ever?

Forums aren't a place for exchanging ideas. They're just a big fat echo chamber. Nobody on a forum can see beyond his own thoughts.

Did you ignore my points on purpose? Did you purposely, and basically, decide that Mass Effect 3, one of the most controversial games of last year (and in fact THE game that caused EA to be named worst company of the year, across all mediums, by voters online)? Did you ignore that Operation Rainfall, which made waves on forums and social media alike, eventually got to Nintendo?

Explain to me how a person adequately campaigns for a game's localization or protests a game's content in such a way that gets a response.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#13Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 12:46:12 PM
AmazingManX posted...
I disagree. In fact I'm willing to say that unless you're voting with your wallet no one gives a damn what you say here. No body listens until you hit 'em in the pockets.

I never get "vote with your wallet". If you vote with your wallet, the company will never, ever know what made you vote nay. Poor graphics? Too cartoony? Too realistic? Lack of online? Too many features? Who knows? Because Nintendo don't.
---
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#14zinformantPosted 2/15/2013 12:52:00 PM
Vyers posted...
Operation Rainfall brought Xenoblade to the limelight for Nintendo, which didn't, and wouldn't have, understood that so many people wanted it had they not complained so much to other people.

THat's fallacious. You know correlation does not equal causation. There is no way to assuredly link Rainfall to the fact that the games actually got released. In fact, the fact that Xseed picked up the other two argues for the opposite side. They were the last hope The Last Story had, for example.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#15GloryChaosPosted 2/15/2013 2:20:59 PM
If you don't buy at all, how does the company learn what the issue is? You're not a consumer, since you haven't bought the product. And people who don't buy the product may have a wide range of reasons as to why they did not.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#16Sir_HaxorPosted 2/15/2013 2:46:14 PM
AmazingManX posted...
I disagree. In fact I'm willing to say that unless you're voting with your wallet no one gives a damn what you say here. No body listens until you hit 'em in the pockets.

And how does that tell anyone what the problem with said game is? All you did was show that you weren't interested. But what exactly lost your interest?
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#17so64Posted 2/15/2013 6:19:27 PM
I have to disagree with the title. Effective, sure, most effective however is a stretch. There are several problems that seem to arise when using the forums as a grassroot generator. One is that if the forum is similar to gamefaqs, with its colorful users, it can easily be tainted by people exaggerating their opinion. Now do not get me wrong, this is the Internet, I understand that there is a tendency among some to be a bit caustic and overall just plain mean. However, this kind of attitude does not benefit the movement in question. In fact, too many caustic, bitter individuals can cause the company to feel as though the group is not legitimate in their complaints. As though the group was made to merely insult the company rather than to help the company grow and ameliorate itself. Furthermore, a movement can begin at the forum level, but it should definitely go beyond that. You mentioned Operation Rainfall as an example. Operation Rainfall did begin as an idea on the forums, it is true, but there is a chance that it would not have been as effective as it was had it merely stayed on the forum. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the group made several attempts to speak to Nintendo and the developers of the series in question. Not to mention they attracted the interest of many gaming journal blogs such as Kotaku, Destructoid, IGN, etc....Even G4 at one point was interested, I seem to recall reading that X-Play wanted to interview the head person of Operation Rainfall. What this shows is that it takes a combined effort, not merely going on forums, but also voicing one's opinion to the company, voicing one's opinion to the media to truly make a difference. Think of an automation line for cars. Each part of the automation line is needed to create a car; if a part were to be removed, then the line loses its effectiveness...

But I've digressed. Another reason why forums are not that effective is that there is a lot of noise on forums. Unless the complaint is quite major, it is possible that it could be lost among all the other topics on that forum. Now granted, I've been on this board since the beginning, and I have seen some topics reach 500 posts about some of the issues that the 3DS had. However, those topics always eventually lose its steam halfway. Posts begin to diverge from what was being originally discussed. Though granted, that may just be the nature of Gamefaqs in general. Gamefaqs is not a place that I would come to for heavy discussion on the gaming industry. People tend to diverge from the subject at hand, ridicule others, and treat their opinion as if it is the almighty gospel. Then again, even forums such as Neogaf and the more 'upper-class' gaming sites can have these problems with discussion as well. Now I am not saying that forums cannot be effective. Done right, utilizing forums to spread issues that the person believes should be address can be quite effective as you have stated, Vyers. Yet, the key is doing it right. Operation Rainfall would not have gone past the forum stage if it was just full of people that were caustic and bitter. In fact, these were people who really supported Nintendo and merely saw their refusal as a mistake, a grave error. For example, I seem to recall one of the things that OPR asked of people who followed them was to not say that they would refuse buying any more Nintendo games, to show that the people who were a part of the group were made up of Nintendo aficionados. These weren't people who had an ax to grind against Nintendo. These were people who grew up with them, enjoyed their games, and felt that there was an audience for Xenoblade and the others. This shows that this was an organized movement, not merely a forum rabble-rousing group, but a well articulated, intelligent group.
---
I am insane. Somethings I say may not make sense. Please take heed. www.brokencontrollers.com We Have come over the way that with tears... 3DS FC:5327-0905-8783
#18Baha05Posted 2/15/2013 6:32:40 PM
I mostly disagree, I find forums to be a bad place for these sorts of things, mainly Gamefaqs and it's rampant troll problem.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#19Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 10:48:36 PM
zinformant posted...
Vyers posted...
Operation Rainfall brought Xenoblade to the limelight for Nintendo, which didn't, and wouldn't have, understood that so many people wanted it had they not complained so much to other people.

THat's fallacious. You know correlation does not equal causation. There is no way to assuredly link Rainfall to the fact that the games actually got released. In fact, the fact that Xseed picked up the other two argues for the opposite side. They were the last hope The Last Story had, for example.

Fallacious? It did. It is undeniable fact that Nintendo, without OR, would not have known how much American gamers wanted it. They were basing localization on European sales. Fact. I never once said that OR got them localized, but the grassroots movement contributed to Nintendo's better understanding of what American audiences wanted.
---
#20thatmovingbushPosted 2/15/2013 10:57:57 PM
McMarbles posted...
No, it's really, really not.

Ask yourself something; have you ever really changed anyone's mind about anything on a forum? Ever?

Forums aren't a place for exchanging ideas. They're just a big fat echo chamber. Nobody on a forum can see beyond his own thoughts.

Not all of us are narrow-minded.
---
Only stupid people make generalizations. No exceptions.
FC: 0516-7339-8901