Nyko Power Pak + impressions

#1Boney00Posted 2/15/2013 7:05:44 PM
This replacement battey was recommended by a buddy so I was wondering what you thought of it if any of you have tried it. It's only $9.99 at GameStop and it apparently replaces not only the factory battery but the battery cover as well. Does it make the charging cradle and the stand that comes with Kid Icarus: Uprising obsolete?
---
PSN: Bones00 3DS FC: 3136 6642 8964
#2thatmovingbushPosted 2/15/2013 7:19:53 PM
You can get a charging cradle for the pp+, and it works with the stand. It is extremely comfortable, and I never had any problems with mine. I definitely recommend it.
---
Only stupid people make generalizations. No exceptions.
FC: 0516-7339-8901
#3Spiffy247Posted 2/15/2013 7:50:52 PM(edited)
I suggest you keep in mind people have had bad experiences with nyko batteries. The wii remote rechargeable battery paks and dock lasted me under 2 months. my power pak + and dock were unusable after 3 months.
---
I'm clever, vaguely feminine, a vampire, and I wield Dice. PH33R.
The 3DS and PSVita are both outstanding systems. Wally the Equality Weasel says so.
#4legionofpancakePosted 2/15/2013 7:35:49 PM(edited)
I recommend it as well. I've had mine for about six months and it feels really great. The battery life is also improved almost three-fold, especially if you have power save on, brightness down to about three, and internet off unless required. I hardly ever remember how often I have to charge my 3DS.

EDIT: Make a note of the fact that when the battery is fully charged (the dock should turn green) it won't show until after maybe an hour or so of playing. That's just because the battery has so much charge and it's charged directly through the battery. The original battery is charged through the system, which directly reads the battery level. Since that's not the case it takes a while for the system to pick up on the battery life and show it proper.
---
Well, Courtney Gears didn't seem to mind.
88 Fingers Louie were a hardcore punk band. 88 Fingers Eddward was a nickname on Ed Edd'nEddy. Pretty cool reference.
#5keyblader1985Posted 2/15/2013 7:35:10 PM
I got my Power Pak last June, and I haven't had any problems with it. It only makes the system marginally thicker, and there's a noticeable difference in battery life.
---
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/keyblader1985/keyblader.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#6mjc0961Posted 2/15/2013 7:45:41 PM
Spiffy247 posted...
I suggest you keep in mind people have had bad experiences with nyko batteries. The rechargeable battery paks and dock lasted me under 2 months. my power pak + and dock were unusable after 3 months.

This. Just look at reviews for any Nyko product that has anything to do with power. They're all horrible. Anything from 360 intercoolers melting your 360's power plug to Wii Remote rechargeable batteries that catch fire, Nyko is garbage. Most common complaint is simply that it stops working, though.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#7Boney00(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 7:52:04 PM
legionofpancake posted...
I recommend it as well. I've had mine for about six months and it feels really great. The battery life is also improved almost three-fold, especially if you have power save on, brightness down to about three, and internet off unless required. I hardly ever remember how often I have to charge my 3DS.

EDIT: Make a note of the fact that when the battery is fully charged (the dock should turn green) it won't show until after maybe an hour or so of playing. That's just because the battery has so much charge and it's charged directly through the battery. The original battery is charged through the system, which directly reads the battery level. Since that's not the case it takes a while for the system to pick up on the battery life and show it proper.

Maybe I'm confused and I hope you can help clarify this. You talk about a dock but I don't believe I read a dock came with the battery or is it part of this battery and missed it in the product description?
---
PSN: Bones00 3DS FC: 3136 6642 8964
#8Spiffy247Posted 2/15/2013 7:56:08 PM
Boney00 posted...

Maybe I'm confused and I hope you can help clarify this. You talk about a dock but I don't believe I read a dock came with the battery or is it part of this battery and missed it in the product description?

Back when the 3DS was pretty new, the power pak + was often packaged with a replacement dock that fit with the new battery.
---
I'm clever, vaguely feminine, a vampire, and I wield Dice. PH33R.
The 3DS and PSVita are both outstanding systems. Wally the Equality Weasel says so.
#9legionofpancakePosted 2/15/2013 8:01:13 PM
Spiffy247 posted...
Boney00 posted...

Back when the 3DS was pretty new, the power pak + was often packaged with a replacement dock that fit with the new battery.

Yep, exactly what this guy said!
---
Well, Courtney Gears didn't seem to mind.
88 Fingers Louie were a hardcore punk band. 88 Fingers Eddward was a nickname on Ed Edd'nEddy. Pretty cool reference.