Just how much of an improvement is the 3DS XL over the first model?

#1PlanetvideogamePosted 2/15/2013 8:27:03 PM
I'm thinking about getting a 3DS XL, and was wondering exactly how much of an improvement is it over the original. Besides larger screens and less strain on the eyes, what are the other improvements?
---
#2kewldude475Posted 2/15/2013 8:29:50 PM
Improvement in almost every conceivable aspect. Though games look more pixelated, and the wider screens make it harder for me to play games like Kid Icarus Uprising.
---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475
#3jedinatPosted 2/15/2013 8:31:23 PM(edited)
Battery life, stylus placement, button feel, start/select button design, no more glowing "3D" light, comfort...
#4MarsfordPosted 2/15/2013 8:33:06 PM
A lot.

Not enough to buy an XL at full price if you have a regular 3DS that's fully functional. Enough if you have use for a second 3DS or can find some sort of amazing deal (trade in, a special, etc.).
---
Why are you NOT listening to White Skies when you could be listening to White Skies?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDhdP94TKc
#5RazieruPosted 2/15/2013 8:56:32 PM
+ battery life
+ screen size
+ stylus placement
+ 3D slider lock; no glowing 3D indicator on top screen
+ screens reduce glare
+ D-Pad
+ home, start, & select buttons

- garbage sound quality
- dire brightness quality
- power button "engraved" in the system
- still has dire image quality for DS games without shrinking the image of course
- cheap battery door and build overall
- no compatibility with the previous model's accessories
- cheaper screens; easier to get scratched up (from my experience, and I take the utmost care of my stuff)

Mind you, what's in bold is the main reason why I'll never waste money on a 3DS XL ever again. Not worth $200 at all in my opinion.
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.
#6jedinatPosted 2/15/2013 9:05:23 PM(edited)
The sound quality really isn't that bad... you want to hear crappy sound quality from a handheld, try the PSP lol. Even the Vita isn't great in that regard. No one complains about them.
#7Dragongod165Posted 2/15/2013 9:02:45 PM
Night and day.
---
"So it's a game of betrayal, then...?"
#8RazieruPosted 2/15/2013 9:06:07 PM
jedinat posted...
The sound quality really isn't that bad... you want to hear crappy sound quality from a handheld, try the PSP lol. Or even the Vita. No one complains about them.

Except even they are louder than the 3DS XL. But, they are pretty bad. I was amazed a bit at the revelation of the Vita carrying the torch of the PSP's crappy sound quality though.

I don't know; I find myself incredibly spoiled by my DSi XL's supreme sound quality.
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.
#9jedinatPosted 2/15/2013 9:16:27 PM(edited)
Razieru posted...
jedinat posted...
The sound quality really isn't that bad... you want to hear crappy sound quality from a handheld, try the PSP lol. Or even the Vita. No one complains about them.

Except even they are louder than the 3DS XL. But, they are pretty bad. I was amazed a bit at the revelation of the Vita carrying the torch of the PSP's crappy sound quality though.

I don't know; I find myself incredibly spoiled by my DSi XL's supreme sound quality.

Well I guess I don't put much stock in mere "loudness". I can hardly stand my PSP 3000 speakers because they sound almost mono, they're so crappy and fuzzy. I did enjoy the DSi XL's speakers when I had the system, but mostly because DS games don't output great sound, their media being so low capacity... it felt to me like the DSi XL's speakers met the DS's sound quality capability about evenly, which was nice. It made headphones superfluous. The same cannot be said for the 3DS. If you want good sound you wear headphones, even if the speakers were much better than they are.
#10RyuVegasPosted 2/15/2013 10:02:47 PM
I have to agree that the sound quality isn't TERRIBLE on my XL, just QUIET. But it has simulated Surround Sound on all games(most Notably FE:Awakening has an option that optimizes the sound if you keep your head in the same "sweet spot" you do to maximize the 3D) if you turn the option in-game, which I find really cool as a major sound buff.

But yea, the DSiXL's speakers are spoiling, but it was all chiptune-quality music. Nothing like the orchestral-sounding stuff most 3DS games seem to have. I'll take that trade-off anyday, IMO.
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP: Fire Emblem: Awakening
"I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you." ~ XImperialDragon