Why Is It That Games That Are Popular Here, Not Do Very Well In Japan?

#11XWolfOPosted 2/15/2013 11:36:50 PM
Different tastes, different parts of the world.
---
I will BURN MY BREAD!
#12LightHawKnightPosted 2/15/2013 11:37:04 PM
Ferarri619 posted...
MetalLoki posted...
Why is It that games that are popular in Japan, dont do very well here?

Because Western gamers have horrible taste.

Indeed.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#13strongo9Posted 2/16/2013 12:14:46 AM
I'm sick of all of this western versus eastern crap. What are we, American rappers? Not every western game is a brown military FPS and not every eastern game is a RPG featuring a whiny, pubescent main character. As a gamer that owns most Nintendo systems and a gaming PC, I can say that excellent games have come from both regions since the early days of gaming. Different countries are made up of different cultures and therefor have different tastes; neither of which are bad (unless they like the generic aforementioned types of games).

/topic
---
Want Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Rayman Legends, and Bioshock Infinite.
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#14Bancario51Posted 2/16/2013 12:20:55 AM
such as?
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#15duranmanXPosted 2/16/2013 12:39:05 AM
It's very complicated subject and there can be made arguments on both sides.
The most obvious reasoning some people treat some games better than others is by marketing.

There are Japanese games that I as an American would enjoy to play (Bravely Default, SMT IV, DQ VII) but the marketing, as far as I know, is relatively poor compared to the marketing campaign in Japan. A good example is Mario and Pokemon, which released in Japan, but through marketing made it popular in the States.

I however like certain types of games, so whether a game is marketed hard (similar to CoD in America) or not, doesn't matter to me. Unfortunately that is what people call "niche" and only the most dedicated developers sell games that they know will do rather badly because they are cult classics.

tl;dr How many commericals do you see for core Japanese games? If you see a commercial it will probably sell higher in the US than if there is no marketing campaign. (obviously)

There are some exceptions, but this is the most logical reason IMO
---
The Official Melchizedek of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#16deimos91Posted 2/16/2013 9:23:03 AM
Ferarri619 posted...
MetalLoki posted...
Why is It that games that are popular in Japan, dont do very well here?

Because Western gamers Only like Brown and grey COD clones.

Fixed
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#17MrKunioPosted 2/16/2013 9:41:22 AM
Emperor_Gestahl posted...
What baffles me is Advance Wars supposedly selling poorly in Japan, yet they eat up Fire Emblem. They're both great tactical titles by the same devs. Do they just wretch at the thought of an srpg that isn't pseudo-medieval European fantasy setting?

Japan doesnt have a military so they dont really have that much expieriance with classic tank and infantry action.
---
Official Mr. Bousouzoku 1986
3DS Fc: Mr. Kunio - 3437-4087-1475
#18Blackfire210Posted 2/16/2013 9:41:41 AM
Emperor_Gestahl posted...
What baffles me is Advance Wars supposedly selling poorly in Japan, yet they eat up Fire Emblem. They're both great tactical titles by the same devs. Do they just wretch at the thought of an srpg that isn't pseudo-medieval European fantasy setting?

Pretty sure it was the fact that the social aspect in FE is completely missing in AW, they eat that **** up like fiends.
---
Number of people with stupid counter sigs I have encountered: 4