Side sticker will not come off Fire Emblem

#1StatePenPosted 2/16/2013 4:57:57 PM
I pre-ordered Fire Emblem and got it the day it came out, but wasn't able to play it until today. I opened my bag up to find that my "new" pre-ordered copy from Gamestop was opened (why the hell they would open a pre-ordered copy on day one is beyond me) and had a price sticker on the front and a circular sticker on the side where the case opens. No Gamestop within 100 miles of me has the game in stock so I cannot return the copy for an actual ungutted copy and I want to play the game this weekend. I usually avoid Gamestop like the plague but wanted the pre-order bonus book, so that is why I ordered from them this time.

I got the front sticker off with Goo Gone and soap and water. The flippin clear side sticker is giving me fits, though. I peeled it off as carefully as possible, but it has left the strongest adhesive I have ever encountered. Over the past hour I have tried: a hot hairdryer, rubbing alcohol, eraser, lighter fluid, Goo Gone, and baby wipes. Those got a certain amount of the adhesive off, but there is still a thin sticky film on both sides of the case where the circular sticker on the edge was located.

In any case, any other ideas on how to get this stuff off? I thought I was a pro at getting stickers off of game cases, but this one is a tough nut to crack. Thanks!
#2jg9350Posted 2/16/2013 5:11:35 PM
There was an easier way to play the game earlier, which is by purchasing digitally. I am usually against the practice, but it did help on playing the game as soon as it was possible...
---
3DS FC: 3480-3721-4894
#3BeeteyPosted 2/16/2013 5:13:04 PM
How long did you leave the GooGone on it? I would let it soak for awhile.
#4darkness1018Posted 2/16/2013 5:13:49 PM
jg9350 posted...
There was an easier way to play the game earlier, which is by purchasing digitally. I am usually against the practice, but it did help on playing the game as soon as it was possible...

Alot of people, like myself, only buy physical cause we like to own the game. Maybe he's like that too.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3 & PS Vita)
3DS XL FC: 1693-0734-3733
#5StatePen(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 5:22:00 PM
Well, as I said earlier, I didn't have time to play the game until today. I bought it at release and waited to open it today. And, yeah, I like physical copies anyhow. I will try letting the Goo Gone soak longer, thanks.
#6Neo_PortaPottyPosted 2/16/2013 8:18:59 PM
I prefer physical copies but being a pc gamer mostly I've come to not mind digital games having said that I'd never buy a digital dopey on a Nintendo system since the games are tied to your system and not an account so have your system break guess your SoL.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#7honestliar62Posted 2/16/2013 9:39:43 PM
if it really bothers you, you can buy a new empty 3DS box off nintendo's online store. just in case.
#8BurgerTime79Posted 2/16/2013 10:04:34 PM
Instead of "avoiding Gamestop like the plague", use your rights as a consumer. They have an option in their system that allows them to give a shop worn discount, and they can use it on any product they've opened for display purposes. The catch is that employees aren't trained to use it. You can also send a message to their district manager explaining that you pre ordered product, and it was giving to you opened. Tell him that you refuse to purchase open product, and that considering the limited stock of this item, the actions of that store were unacceptable.
I mean seriously, why open product for display when you only have enough to fill pre orders? I've been saying for years that if companies could ship cases for the soul purpose of display, and Gamestop needs to redesign how they handle trade ins. Oh you want to trade in the 100th Hockey game we have in our system? Not taking it. This game is without it's case and instructions? Go toss in the street as far as we're concerned.

With every complaint about that store, I typically see things that could be fixed from the customer's side of the situation, or crying for the sake of crying.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#9SoulBreaker5309Posted 2/16/2013 10:07:55 PM
I've found that using tape helps a lot in removing the adhesive. I repeatedly applied the tape onto the area with the adhesive and then peel it off. It takes a while, but it always works to get rid of the residue in the end.

I normally use regular scotch tape, but other kinds should work just fine, as long as they are sticky enough.
---
People seem to be confusing Hardcore with Mainstream.
Tempus fugit.
#10TinyTim123Posted 2/16/2013 10:21:20 PM
In my opinion the best bet would be to go to the nearest Gamestop, ask them for a case they are tossing for a preowned 3DS game with no stickers on it, and swap out all the paper.
Your nearest Gamestop may not be of the heathens I have encountered that immediately disposes of such cases for portable systems, but all that I have been in for the last two years (not many, granted, as the nearest is 98 miles away) have been in that practice "to save room".
Good luck, TC.

Absolute worse comes to worse, I am fairly certain you can buy the plastic case for a few dollars from Nintendo directly.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/