Question about the Pink 3DS XL - limited/special edition or official color?

#1PuddingchanPosted 2/18/2013 8:36:57 AM(edited)
Is it limited edition as it stands? Because it seems that Nintendo kinda said a release of new color on their Facebook page sometime around Valentine's Day. Does this make it the 3rd official color of the US 3DS XL?
#2Janus151Posted 2/18/2013 9:33:11 AM
They first released it in November 2012 as a limited edition, but since last week, it's part of the main colors now. It's even listed on Nintendo.com website.

now I'm just waiting for them to release the all black 3DS XL!! all other territories are getting it with Monster Hunter, except North America >.<
#3Puddingchan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 10:00:40 AM(edited)
That's not exactly reassuring..would have been nice if they made up their mind if this is a limited color or not in the first place.

I feel Nintendo is being awfully deceptive. I wonder if I should even buy a 3DS XL at this point. I like Pink/White but it being not limited edition does not cut it out for me to pay more for it.

Also all the sellers online just tag on the word "limited edition" on the item. So this re-release is kind of killing the trust people will have for Nintendo really soon.
#4Rez429Posted 2/18/2013 10:22:48 AM
Puddingchan posted...
That's not exactly reassuring..would have been nice if they made up their mind if this is a limited color or not in the first place.

I feel Nintendo is being awfully deceptive. I wonder if I should even buy a 3DS XL at this point. I like Pink/White but it being not limited edition does not cut it out for me to pay more for it.

Also all the sellers online just tag on the word "limited edition" on the item. So this re-release is kind of killing the trust people will have for Nintendo really soon.

I got an email not too long ago from, Nintendo saying that it's an official color now.
#5d0wnerPosted 2/18/2013 10:38:10 AM
The original release was limited. The new release is not.

Be glad it's available and you don't have to pay a stupidly inflated price for it.
---
shoot the core.
#6Puddingchan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 10:39:33 AM
Rez429 posted...
I got an email not too long ago from, Nintendo saying that it's an official color now.

So it's official now. Thanks for the confirmation.

So now I will have a major headache in the next 12 hours to decide if I should call up the store and tell them to release the 3DS XL to another willing customer.
#7Puddingchan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 11:17:35 AM
d0wner posted...
The original release was limited. The new release is not.

Be glad it's available and you don't have to pay a stupidly inflated price for it.

Well, any 3DS XL being imported to the place where I am at (from online order, retail or not) will already be at a stupidly inflated price that is 1-and-a-half-times of the original in the US due to international shipping costs.

I'm thinking if the console price will ever drop, and I'm also concerned about the long-term costs of buying the games as well. Also, since it is no longer a limited period color and should be available easily at any time, I might be able to put back my purchase until later.

I do want Fire Emblem but the few games I am seriously waiting for, they haven't announced any English localisation yet =/ So I'm quite undecided still.
#8MrFwibblesPosted 2/18/2013 11:25:03 AM
It was still deceptive of Nintendo to call it limited edition to start with when they obviously had plans to put it into full production just a couple of months later.
---
DLC, online passes and the rise of casual budget gaming have ruined the video game industry.
http://i.minus.com/ikldA8ungvbD2.gif
#9DarkstarRipclawPosted 2/18/2013 1:06:29 PM
Companies do 'Limited Editions' lots, not so often with video games, but they'll run something as a trial run and if it sells well they will run it as a permanent product.

There is a reason you do not see lime green DS Lites very often.
---
Wish Upon a Darkstar
Owner of Board 822, Gensokyo
#10Puddingchan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 9:22:54 PM
DarkstarRipclaw posted...
Companies do 'Limited Editions' lots, not so often with video games, but they'll run something as a trial run and if it sells well they will run it as a permanent product.

There is a reason you do not see lime green DS Lites very often.

It is incredibly stupid of them not to put Pink out as an official color at the start as over half of their gamers for the NDS were females. That is a huge market out there. Pink being a somewhat gender stereotyped color (whether you like it or not) means that it will sell. No offense to guys liking pink, you are always welcome to buy what you like (no matter what others may think about it.)

Now that they do, people buying/selling this color as a limited edition color will rage on them.