Pros and cons of downloading games.

#1Nidhogg151Posted 2/18/2013 8:56:50 AM
What are they? From what I understand, it's basically like just having one cartridge for all of your games (the SD card). Should you lose that card or it gets destroyed you are screwed, but otherwise it's more convenient, and it's less likely to lose that one thing than 10, right? And so long as system transfer is around, I don't have to worry about upgrading/replacing 3DS'?

Also, it's my understanding that all the save data is done to the 3DS rather than the cartridge anyway. So doesn't this bind you to your SD card in one way or a other anyway? And lastly, if you were to guess, what would the difference be when the new handheld comes assuming it's backwards compatable? Any obvious complications there?

I was thinking of just getting a good 32GB SD card today and then just download all the games I really love so that I essentially am never without them. Any other pros and cons that weren't covered here are welcome too.
---
You can never be too rich, too good-looking, or too well armed.
Pokemon White 2: 4986 2948 4576
#2mabber_IIIPosted 2/18/2013 8:59:49 AM
pro's
you have it with you at all times
don't have to switch out carts
doesn't take up space on your shelves

con's
you cant sell the game
#3LuxraysrockPosted 2/18/2013 9:00:56 AM
A major con for me is the time it takes to download a game.

I can usually finish cooking my dinner and eat it before a full-sized retail game finishes downloading.
---
I ditched everything I loved. Now I have nothing to put here TT__TT
3DS FC: 0301-9797-6147 Name: Luxray (proud female gamer)
#4Nidhogg151(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 9:02:54 AM
mabber_III posted...
pro's

con's
you cant sell the game

I'm one of those people that never sell my games, as I tend to like to replay them 4-5 years into the future. So that's not an issue.
---
You can never be too rich, too good-looking, or too well armed.
Pokemon White 2: 4986 2948 4576
#5mabber_IIIPosted 2/18/2013 9:05:42 AM
Nidhogg151 posted...
mabber_III posted...
pro's

con's
you cant sell the game

I'm one of those people that never sell my games, as I tend to like to replay them 4-5 years into the future. So that's not an issue.

then go all digital

you can save games on the sd card, but if you plan on buying dsiware games, those can only be stored on the internal 3ds memory
#6CurryfiendPosted 2/18/2013 9:08:35 AM(edited)
In the UK it costs more than buying a physical game (10 difference, that's about $15 US) and some people like having a collection of games to display on their shelves but you can't do that with digital copies. Still it's nice to be able to have all your games with you with just 1 cartridge (SD Card). If the eShop prices were the same as retail prices I would download more games but right now the convenience is not worth an extra 10

Also physical games save their data on the cartridge
---
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful ~ f00had
http://i46.tinypic.com/2zg87ds.jpg
#7CrybabyloverPosted 2/18/2013 9:49:57 AM
The fact that you actually don't have physical possession of your games.

Your 3DS breaks? Can't buy a new 3DS to play your same file or game.
Your 3DS is stolen? Every digital game is gone with it, not just what would probably be a single cartridge game if you were mostly using physical.

Plus there's no account system (yet) that locks your games to your account.
And you can't loan friends your games either. You'd have to loan them your 3DS as well if you wanted them to try out or borrow one of your games.
---
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
[3DS FC: 1289-8445-3650] | [NNID: xShiga] | [PSN: Shiga2714] | [Steam: xxshigaxx]
#8Lord_FroodPosted 2/18/2013 9:54:21 AM
Crybabylover posted...

That's incorrect on so many levels.
---
Her name is Koko, she is loco, I said oh no!
Official Something or Other of That One Group
#9n00bsaib0tPosted 2/18/2013 10:03:44 AM
Crybabylover posted...
Your 3DS is stolen? Every digital game is gone with it, not just what would probably be a single cartridge game if you were mostly using physical.

In both scenarios all you have to do is call Nintendo with your new S/N after replacing and they will transfer all of your purchases from the old S/N to the new one. If you buy retail you have to replace your cartridge, which cost money. If you buy digital you only have to replace the 3DS.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#10DeathSoul2000Posted 2/18/2013 10:05:09 AM
Lord_Frood posted...
Crybabylover posted...

That's incorrect on so many levels.

yeah, no it isn't.