Should Nintendo stick to Handheld Consoles ?

#1BruceLee1974Posted 2/19/2013 3:13:33 AM
Everyone says they are the Handheld king, maybe they should just stick to handhelds as the WiiU doesn't look like it will go to well so maybe they should concentrate on handhelds what do you think ?
#2NathanisDrakePosted 2/19/2013 3:15:30 AM
What's the point of this topic again..?
---
http://fanboygaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/3ds-it-prints-money.gif // http://i.cubeupload.com/F9TsUH.gif
Vita PSN : NateisD
#3randomshemsPosted 2/19/2013 3:42:31 AM
If they waited this length of time for the 3DS it'd be counted as not looking too good also =/ but now look at it >:(
#4Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/19/2013 3:44:14 AM
At the current time it's still far too early to tell how the WiiU will do. The 3DS struggled in its early life too but bounced back strong, so Nintendo have the potential to do the same with the WiiU, but that will depend on the reception of the next Sony and Microsoft console.

Lets be honest, Nintendo has had almost no competition in the Handheld market. The PSP made a good effort, but the Vita has done nothing but fall flat, because it's trying to be a portable console rather than a handheld, and if people want a console, they can get one, cheaper too. The console market is the harder market, because Nintendo has gone years without proper third party support.

Back when gaming was more niche, it really was a race between Nintendo and Sega, and it was pretty even. Then Sony burst into the scene and made gaming "cool" for the masses. The long term implications of this event have changed gaming, arguably for the worse, but it cannot be argued that the PSX and PS2 were the dominant consoles of their age. Nintendo stuck stubbornly to their guns, and while the N64 and Gamecube weren't utter failures, they weren't major successes either.

The game changed again with the Wii/PS3/360. The PS3 and 360 have focused more on becoming multimedia devices, designed to be the centre of your household entertainment. On the other hand the Wii was a return to the arcade style gaming of the past, and it worked. The Wii sold bucket loads... the games on the other hand... well if it didn't have Nintendo in the brand it was usually ignored, which just drove away more 3rd parties.

So now we're back to the WiiU. Nintendo are on a drive to get 3rd parties, but it's not easy. EA are incredibly mad that Nintendo turned down using Origin for the online components of the game, so they're doing their best to slander the WiiU without actually slandering it, using Neogaf as their staging ground to spread baseless rumours and releasing sub-par ports of games like Mass Effect 3 when the PS3 and 360 were getting the Trilogy pack. Smart people see through it though, but word of mouth is now a more powerful tool than ever, so it cannot be ignored either.

So it's going to come down just how good the next Sony and Microsoft consoles are. The belief seems to be that it'll be a major technological jump, but considering that the rumours suggest that the PS4 might be released at 300, that cannot be the case unless Sony are planning on taking a massive loss, which they aren't, as they are predicing a return to profit after nearly 5 years of heavy losses.

It is my belief that the next consoles aren't going to be that much more powerful than the WiiU, if even that. It's going to boil down to what can pull in the most gamers. Nintendo has strength of the brand, and it'll pull in people when they unleash it. Sony has its appeal, which admittedly has waned over the years with their outright bizzare advertising campaigns, and Microsoft just has tons of money to throw at the next console, but they'll never break the xenophobic Japanese market no matter how hard they try.

TL:DR: Nintendo's current poor showing with the WiiU is a blip that will correct itself as I don't believe the Sony or Microsoft have the potential to deliver a killing blow.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#5NathanisDrakePosted 2/19/2013 3:57:58 AM
@Neo
You, sir, are a saint. *tips hat*
---
http://fanboygaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/3ds-it-prints-money.gif // http://i.cubeupload.com/F9TsUH.gif
Vita PSN : NateisD
#6Solar_CrimsonPosted 2/19/2013 4:01:49 AM
From: Neo_Heartless | Posted: 2/19/2013 6:44:14 AM | #004
EA are incredibly mad that Nintendo turned down using Origin for the online components of the game, so they're doing their best to slander the WiiU without actually slandering it, using Neogaf as their staging ground to spread baseless rumours and releasing sub-par ports of games like Mass Effect 3 when the PS3 and 360 were getting the Trilogy pack. Smart people see through it though, but word of mouth is now a more powerful tool than ever, so it cannot be ignored either.

That's pretty mature of them. >_>
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#7Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/19/2013 4:09:19 AM
Solar_Crimson posted...
That's pretty mature of them. >_>

This IS EA we're talking about. The company that scream Homophobia if you even attempt to discuss the implications of focusing on same sex romances in games to the detriment of an actual story. The same company that said they would ban people's origin accounts if they didn't report bugs in Sim City. And speaking of Origin, just as they announced it they had a major falling out with Valve over Steam, citing issues with creative freedoms, which is funny and ironic as they had no issues with Steam until Origin and they do nothing but stymie the creative freedoms of the companies they procure. Just look at Dragon Age 2 compared to Dragon Age Origins and tell me EA didn't have a hand in that.

EA are awful, but they understand the importance of marketing and brand, so they've been trying their best to spread gossip through messageboards. It is just fortunate for us that the internet is full of people who do this for a living and have done it much, much longer than EA, so most of the stuff they do is seen through pretty quickly, but because it didn't directly come from them, there's nothing to call them up on.

Damage control is the new viral marketing.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#8BruceLee1974(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 5:04:55 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9BruceLee1974(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 5:27:55 AM
Well to me they seem to make better handhelds over the years. I think they fluked it with the Wii, but their handhelds always seem to do well.

And also they don't really seem to be competing with the Big 2 Microsoft and Sony as their console always seems to be focused on less power . Even their handhelds arn't always the most powerful like 3DS to the Vita, but somehow they always seem to do well.
#10Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/19/2013 6:13:56 AM
BruceLee1974 posted...
Well to me they seem to make better handhelds over the years. I think they fluked it with the Wii, but their handhelds always seem to do well.

And also they don't really seem to be competing with the Big 2 Microsoft and Sony as their console always seems to be focused on less power . Even their handhelds arn't always the most powerful like 3DS to the Vita, but somehow they always seem to do well.

Because its the games that ultimately sell a console. That you believe power should be the most important factor, and given your statement which I will discect in a moment, I must come to the conclusion you are underage.

You see, it is only with the Wii that Nintendo had the less powerful console. When it came to the console wars of the past, the Nintendo consoles were not lacking in power. The NES was stronger than the Master System, the SNES stronger than the Mega Drive, the N64 stronger than the PSX and Saturn, and the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, although not as strong as the X-Box. What did Nintendo in was their insistence on sticking with their own media as a means to try and avoid piracy. Carts were bulky and expensive, and while the Gamecube discs boasted much better loading times compared to conventional DvDs, Nintendo's monopoly on them caused them to be less successful.

That's four generations were Nintendo focused on power, and it wasn't working. Sony and eventually Microsoft had much more resources in that department and Nintendo couldn't compete. So they read the markets, took a chance, and released the Wii. It worked. Yes looking back we realise that it was lacking when it came to 3rd party games, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a complete and unrivaled success for Nintendo.

What is more interesting is the handhelds. They always have been less powerful than their rivals (compare the Game Boy to the Game Gear). However they've had nothing but success after success. It's the games you see. A focus on producing quality games made sure the Game Boy series was seen as a must have and as the handheld market is smaller, it also attracts the 3rd party support that the Wii lacked. It really did have something for everyone.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]