Why does the eshop charge tax?

#31noswal1990Posted 2/20/2013 11:54:28 AM
Used area code 99551 now you don't have to pay tax
---
Zach 3DS FC 4382-2115-8819
wii u NNID nowal1990
#32DarkstarRipclawPosted 2/20/2013 1:17:14 PM
MetalGusREbirth posted...
From what I understand, even when a retailer (let's say Sony through the PSN) doesn't charge you taxes, you are supposed to declare them yourself on your tax return. Of course, who would do this?

And for the person who asked, 14,5 % sales tax are in the province of Québec (Canada). Half of it goes to the federal governement, the other half to the provincial governement.

Point is, I do lots of buying on PSN but I only got Fire Emblem on eShop (we all know why I did it).

You have the right of it here. Imported goods are supposed to be declared as well, including eBay and amazon.com items, but lol if anybody actually does such a thing.
---
Wish Upon a Darkstar
Owner of Board 822, Gensokyo
#33Bahamut_10thPosted 2/20/2013 1:25:35 PM
AceMos posted...
yay more ppl to ignorant to know taxs are a GOOD THING

but no ppl just want more and more tax cuts then wine when the goverment cant fund anything

You're very ignorant yourself if you didn't know people from outside the US get taxed and some government like Brazil's rarely ever retribute the ridiculous taxes we pay for anything.
#34Leroy160Posted 2/20/2013 1:47:21 PM
noswal1990 posted...
Used area code 99551 now you don't have to pay tax

Looks like I was beaten to the punch, I second this guy right here. Just use this area code and you'll be spared from the tax. Bless you AK.
#35OoSubaruoOPosted 2/20/2013 1:52:06 PM
McMarbles posted...

PSN totally charges tax for me. Maybe your location is set differently on PSN.

No, I have it set to the same location as my eShop account.
#36Sakura_RailgunPosted 2/20/2013 1:58:58 PM
I think it has something to do with where Sony and Nintendo themselves are physically located, but I don't know really. Just change your location to a place where you won't get charged a lot of tax. If you're in Canada, set it to Alberta, if you're in America, I'm sure there is some equivalent.
#37McMarblesPosted 2/20/2013 2:08:06 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...
McMarbles posted...

PSN totally charges tax for me. Maybe your location is set differently on PSN.

No, I have it set to the same location as my eShop account.

I'm in New Jersey, but that other guy says he's not getting charged tax and he's in New Jersey. i have no idea what's going on here.
---
Currently playing: Tales of the Abyss (3DS version)
Rainbow Dash is best pony. Fact.
#38toasty_toasterPosted 2/20/2013 2:13:28 PM
Just 'move' somewhere else. The eshop doesn't care where you really are, it just wants your "area code" to calculate sales tax. I live in "Alaska" and I've never been charged tax on my e-Shop. You're welcome. :)
---
Check out my music - (Snakes on a plane remix, anyone?)
http://www.youtube.com/user/meowsers450