Digital game questions

#1shaunmePosted 2/20/2013 5:00:04 AM
Ok got an XL last week with 3d land and I bought ocarina last night on sale for 20 digital,my question is how does the e shop purchases work on 3ds?? If I buy a memory card can I re download them? Also what happens if I buy a new 3ds?? .
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#2PermlessgirlPosted 2/20/2013 5:06:34 AM
If you buy a new 3ds you can do a system transfer to put all your games and data to the new one but I'm pretty sure you have to transfer everything.

Yes you can re-download games you buy but you can only have games on one card at a time.
You should give the manual a look if you have it. :)
#3Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/20/2013 5:07:49 AM
shaunme posted...
Ok got an XL last week with 3d land and I bought ocarina last night on sale for 20 digital,my question is how does the e shop purchases work on 3ds?? If I buy a memory card can I re download them? Also what happens if I buy a new 3ds?? .

The purchases are tied to that 3DS. If you get a new memory card, you can transfer the data from one to the other using a PC as the go between. Basically you plug the SD card into a slot on the PC (if you have one), cut or copy the data, then put in the new card, copy the data onto it, then put it in the 3DS and you are good to go. To answer your question if you just put in a new SD card then yes you'd be able to redownload anything you purchased.

If you buy a new 3DS, you can transfer the data from the old one to the new one, providing you still have the old one. It transfers over all the important data, and it transfers the eshop data, but not the games. You'd be able to redownload them again though.

It is hoped that at some point this year, there will be a big update which will tie eshop stuff to an account rather than a singular 3DS, but that's rumour at this point.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#4shaunme(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 5:12:32 AM
Thanks for the answers .
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#5xellos667Posted 2/20/2013 10:57:47 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
If you buy a new 3DS, you can transfer the data from the old one to the new one, providing you still have the old one. It transfers over all the important data, and it transfers the eshop data, but not the games. You'd be able to redownload them again though.

Maybe I read that wrong. But to avoid confusion, it DOES transfer the games too. When the transfer is completed, the new 3DS become an exact copy of the old one, games and all. If it would actually erase the games, it would be quite stupid, as you would also lose all your game saves...
---
My 3DS digital games collection and slow progression beating it:
http://www.backloggery.com/drac_mazoku
#6Arsene-LupinPosted 2/20/2013 11:14:31 AM
If your 3DS breaks, you're screwed.

You can send it to Nintendo with $100 for them to repair (a process I've heard many horror stories about).
You can buy a new 3DS and send both it and your old 3DS to Nintendo for them to transfer the eShop data for you.
You can buy a new 3DS and re-purchase all of your old content on it. Yay!

Nintendo's DD is terrible. Supposedly, the new Nintendo Account System will modernize the system conisderably, but details are scarce (let alone timetables) and the limited form of it on Wii U apparently doesn't even work properly.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#7GunBlazerXPosted 2/20/2013 11:22:13 AM
Man that is nuts, so if your 3DS breaks or becomes faulty (hell even if you misplace it) you've essentially lost your entire digital game invest...
#890sRetroGamingPosted 2/20/2013 11:28:58 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...

You can send it to Nintendo with $100 for them to repair (a process I've heard many horror stories about).
You can buy a new 3DS and send both it and your old 3DS to Nintendo for them to transfer the eShop data for you.

Nintendo's DD is terrible. Supposedly, the new Nintendo Account System will modernize the system conisderably, but details are scarce (let alone timetables) and the limited form of it on Wii U apparently doesn't even work properly.

http://gbatemp.net/pix/271140/flameshield.jpg

A free gift for you. for those that might come in here and jump all over you on how wrong you are and spreading mis-information about Nintendo digital and their Club Nintendo "Account" that guarantees your game purchases are safe and sound if something happens. wear it well my friend.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#9xellos667Posted 2/20/2013 11:33:37 AM(edited)
All the 3DS Digital-Haters always use the same sentence "If you break it and/or lost it and/or get stolen, you're screwed"....and while this is true that those kind of things may happen (I won't say otherwise so that fate doesn't turn against me), I have yet to break/lose(by myself or by a thief) any of my portables, ever since my original GameBoy.

I don't know about those "horror" stories, but if it never happened to most of us (at least I'm guessing. For me, it has yet to happen in the last 20 years), I can say for sure that if you take care of your 3DS, it will surely NEVER happen. And at one point, surely Nintendo WILL create a real account system. So if you're only reason to not buy digital titles for now is the "FEAR" of losing it somehow, too bad for you. For me, having almost lost once my entire 500+ physical games collection a few years ago by a fire, I feel more secure knowing I can take my entire 3DS game collection outside the house with me if it ever happen again.
---
My 3DS digital games collection and slow progression beating it:
http://www.backloggery.com/drac_mazoku
#10Arsene-LupinPosted 2/20/2013 11:30:39 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...

http://gbatemp.net/pix/271140/flameshield.jpg

A free gift for you. for those that might come in here and jump all over you on how wrong you are and spreading mis-information about Nintendo digital and their Club Nintendo "Account" that guarantees your game purchases are safe and sound if something happens. wear it well my friend.

Except everything I've said is 100% accurate. Club Nintendo accounts provide users with approximately zero percent more security for their investment. Deal with it.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."