I kinda liked the Demo for Etrian Odyssey IV

#1Turbo_TRexPosted 2/20/2013 8:00:18 PM
It was kinda fun, I actually liked drawing out the map as I went. So I have a few questions.

Is this game a continuation of the previous 3, or does it have a self-contained plot?
If I want to get this, is it worth it to track down the other 3 first?
---
To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human.
#2HurricaneManningPosted 2/20/2013 8:01:50 PM
self contained plot

if you want to try another of the DS games, I'd suggest 3. the first two are still similar, but the series has gotten more refined as it's gone on and 3 is probably closer to what you'd expect after playing 4.
---
Suck for Luck watch: SUCCESS
BOILER UP!
#3Turbo_TRex(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 8:24:48 PM
I'm still on the fence about whether I should invest in the other 3. I'm still not sure if I like it enough for that. I could always just get IV, but owning a sequel without its prequel doesn't sit well with me. On the other hand, I already have a lot of game on my to do list, and needing to find a job is taking up more and more of my time, so I'm just not sure.
---
#4Turbo_TRex(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 8:06:14 AM
Come on guys! I need help! Are these games worth it?
---
#5SoulBreaker5309Posted 2/22/2013 9:11:51 AM
Turbo_TRex posted...
Come on guys! I need help! Are these games worth it?

First off, keep submitting resumes and cover letters to wherever you can. Gotta get that job to afford those games.

Secondly, if you liked what you played, I'd suggest the first EO as a primer before you start IV or any of the other games in the series. If you like that, then get II and III if you think you'll enjoy that much more.

You're in luck, since Atlus just reprinted the first 3 games. Make sure to do research on the games before getting them, of course.

In any case, I wish you good luck with finding a job. I'm sure you'll find one in time.
---
People seem to be confusing Hardcore with Mainstream.
Tempus fugit.
#6whizkid7Posted 2/22/2013 9:16:13 AM
The demo's a pretty reasonable indication of the game as a whole. If you liked the demo, you'll pretty much like the full game. Being an RPG, it'll last you a long while too, especially with postgame bosses and the like.

If you're looking to start in on the series on something other than 4, 2 or 3 is probably the place to start. 3's a little easier to get through.
---
Arms is like being a chainsaw running around. Prot is like being a castle that walks around punching people in the face with it's drawbridge.
#7dominatinggamerPosted 2/22/2013 9:28:19 AM
If I like the demo, I'm going straight for 4 and bypassing the others. I don't have time to play the entire series and since its not a 'Mass Effect' type of story, you're not really hindered at all if you do start with 4. Hell, even if I had time I probably wouldn't start the series from 1 because I just don't do that lol. There are far too many new/recent games to be played right now for me to backtrack like that.
---
With friends like you, who needs enemies?
#8JonbazookabozPosted 2/22/2013 9:37:37 AM
Turbo_TRex posted...
It was kinda fun, I actually liked drawing out the map as I went. So I have a few questions.

Is this game a continuation of the previous 3, or does it have a self-contained plot?
If I want to get this, is it worth it to track down the other 3 first?

Im very curious about this game as i havent played any of the series yet. When u mentioned drawing out the map- what exactly is that and what are you doing essentially?
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#9SoulBreaker5309Posted 2/22/2013 10:05:23 AM(edited)
johnnybazookabo posted...
Im very curious about this game as i havent played any of the series yet. When u mentioned drawing out the map- what exactly is that and what are you doing essentially?

The bottom screen has a grid that allows you to map out by hand the dungeons as you travel through them. Places where you walk are typically automatically marked, but it's up to you to draw out the boundaries/layout and place icons and notes at special locations of interest.

Basically, you get to be an amateur cartographer.

....As for why I suggest EOI, it's because I wouldn't suggest playing II without finishing I, since you can move your save data from I to II. III is really good, but it may alter your expectations of the first two games if you ever intend to play them later, as would IV.

Plus, something cool happens in EOI that you might want to experience before playing the other games, since they don't seem to do anything similar.

As I've said before, I'd only suggest doing this if you actually do intend to go through all the games as you seem inclined to.
---
People seem to be confusing Hardcore with Mainstream.
Tempus fugit.
#10JonbazookabozPosted 2/22/2013 10:09:41 AM
SoulBreaker5309 posted...
johnnybazookabo posted...

The bottom screen has a grid that allows you to map out by hand the dungeons as you travel through them. Places where you walk are typically automatically marked, but it's up to you to draw out the boundaries/layout and place icons and notes at special locations of interest.

Basically, you get to be an amateur cartographer.

....As for why I suggest EOI, it's because I wouldn't suggest playing II without finishing I, since you can move your save data from I to II. III is really good, but it may alter your expectations of the first two games if you ever intend to play them later, as would IV.

Plus, something cool happens in EOI that you might want to experience before playing the other games, since they don't seem to do anything similar.

As I've said before, I'd only suggest doing this if you actually do intend to go through all the games as you seem inclined to.

Cheers! Very much appreciated. Thats what i hoped it was. I used to love old pen and paper rpgs years ago and was looking for something similar. Just need to wait for uk release in april!
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"