Where to begin in playing RPG's?

#1I_R_WINNERPosted 2/20/2013 7:18:00 PM
I have not played very many RPG's, I mainly like adventure games but have thoroughly played and enjoyed many other genres of games except traditional RPG's. Problem is I kind of always feel like its just too late to finally get into RPG's and Pokemon games and so I never have. And RPG's seem heavily text based and as a kid and probably still to this day its hard for me to "get everything" by reading texts if you know what I mean. However I feel like I can overcome this if the game is really good so I want to give RPG's a shot. I'm thinking about giving Pokemon X or Y a go since they seem like a new generation of Pokemon games and also looking into RPG's on 3DS like maybe Fire Emblem. What would you guys recommend? I have SNES-Wii consoles, GBA-3DS handhelds.
---
Best tomahawk video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a-VjIlADpo
#2Baha05Posted 2/20/2013 7:20:29 PM
Honestly the Pokemon games area good start.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3MarsfordPosted 2/20/2013 7:20:50 PM
Like adventure games? Start with Tales of the Abyss. It's an action RPG so it won't bore you like quickly switching to a game like Etrian Odyssey.

Next I suggest Kindgom Hearts 3D.

Once you get a feel for RPG elements, definitely get Fire Emblem.
---
Why are you NOT listening to White Skies when you could be listening to White Skies?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDhdP94TKc
#4jedinatPosted 2/20/2013 7:21:24 PM
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
Dragon Quest IX (DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)

Check 'em out. Maybe in that order. All very different examples of the RPG.
#5pokemon2pokerPosted 2/20/2013 7:21:58 PM
Go with Tales of the Abyss if you're looking for traditional. If not, wait around for Project X Zone. If you're serious, and must have Fire Emblem; do yourself a favor, and buy digital.
---
Suikoden 6 please.
People who agree: 9
#6pokemon2pokerPosted 2/20/2013 7:23:41 PM
jedinat posted...
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
Dragon Quest IX (DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)

Check 'em out. Maybe in that order. All very different examples of the RPG.

Are you aware of how much a sealed copy of that game is going for? Hell, even the used copies are going for $100+.
---
Suikoden 6 please.
People who agree: 9
#7jedinatPosted 2/20/2013 7:24:10 PM
Kingdom Hearts isn't an RPG. Sheesh. Crappy action game, more like Ratchet and Clank or something than an RPG.
#8Baha05Posted 2/20/2013 7:24:35 PM
jedinat posted...
Kingdom Hearts isn't an RPG. Sheesh. Crappy action game, more like Ratchet and Clank or something than an RPG.

Actually it's an Action RPG
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#9jedinatPosted 2/20/2013 7:25:24 PM
pokemon2poker posted...
Are you aware of how much a sealed copy of that game is going for? Hell, even the used copies are going for $100+.

No, I wasn't aware. If it's not being sold, no reason to buy it imho...
#10jedinatPosted 2/20/2013 7:25:47 PM
Baha05 posted...
jedinat posted...

Actually it's an Action RPG

Not in my book.