i am debating on getting a normal 3DS or XL... i tried the XL and the pixels on

#11gldooriiPosted 2/21/2013 9:26:09 AM
I recently bought both the 3DS and XL knowing I'd return one, but wanted to use them at my leisure back and forth to decide. I ended up returning the XL yesterday. I played various games, but the clarity and sharpness of the standard 3DS' screen kept pulling me towards it regardless of the size of the XL's screen or how it was a bit more comfortable to hold.

I can understand how those who have had a 3DS for awhile would want to "upgrade" to having a bigger screen etc., but as a new 3DS user I really don't see the advantage of deciding on a bigger, less impressive screen as opposed to the smaller and sharper screen.

That's my opinion anyways, but I'm one of those that clearly noticed the quality difference playing them back and forth. I assume if I hadve only bought the XL I wouldnt have missed what I didin't know, but I wanted to make the best choice for myself and went with the better looking screen imo.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#12PlaysaverPosted 2/21/2013 9:59:22 AM
Oh?
Did the pixels on a ds lite bother you?
The pixel size on a ds lite and a 3ds Xl are very nearly the same exact size. Which is why if you put a ds game to native mode, by holding the start button down while starting a ds game till the game starts, the size of the ds game on the screen ends up being about the same size as it is on the ds lite. It's not as bad as it was on the DSi XL where the screen was bigger and so were the pixels. On the 3ds XL the pixels are about the size of a normal ds lite. If you could stand the normal size of the pixels on the ds lite then you should be able to handle that same size on a 3ds.
#13Nergy15Posted 2/21/2013 11:07:58 AM(edited)
It seemed quite noticeable to me too. But after using it for a few hours, I didn't really notice or care. Having the large screen REALLY helps some games, especially the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Rayman.

I handled a regular 3DS a day after I got mine and the small size of the screen actually bothered me quite a bit.

Do you have a friend or have a store with a Kiosk that has the XL? That's what sold me.
---
PSN: Nergoo 3DS: 2122-5921-7696
#14StarmanAnthony(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 5:22:04 PM
i tried the XL at best buy.. they didn't have demos.. just videos... and i just couldn't understand why it didn't look as sharp and bright from the regular 3DS... i might just get the regular 3DS. save me $20 and get my favorite mario game. super mario 3D land. and paper mario.
#15OoSubaruoOPosted 2/21/2013 5:25:08 PM
I don't even notice any of these things on my XL. It looks normal to me.
#16_Candice_Posted 2/21/2013 5:54:35 PM
Handhelds tend to have bad AA so increasing the screen size really didnt help Nintendo.

If youd prefer a bigger touch screen for games like Colors, Art Academy and Swapnote, then go for it. Otherwise 9/10 times Id say stick with the regular model. Besides, they look sexier.
---
It's not about graphics vs gameplay, it's about profits vs gameplay. Profits are more important than gameplay in this forum. -lgi on the Wii U messageboard
#17TehTrumpCardPosted 2/21/2013 5:59:08 PM
It's all about that XL life.
---
...Life is tedious if it ain't flowing... Trump x E4's Caitlin
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#18Termin8rPosted 2/21/2013 6:12:29 PM
Pretty much every problem I had with the original model was fixed with the XL. The biggest of which was the small size of the screen that prevents me from using the 3D effect for too long before I start getting eye fatigue.

Now with the XL the big screens actually does make all the difference and I never turn the 3D off anymore. Plus the stylus is now in its proper place instead of that really dumb position in the back.
---
http://i41.tinypic.com/2yxi5h5.gif
#19KamilPosted 2/21/2013 6:21:21 PM
I'm getting some opinions about this off youtube, here obviously and a friend who has a original one. Even he said he wishes he had a XL. So yeah I'm not really being swayed by this original is better actually. If there is pixelization it's probably not even that bad plus it's not like the XL is as big as the Atari Lynx. either. And the XL has better battery life too.
---
slowbeef: Hold on it's the evil wizard who's spinning and striking a pose. And also giant swords, why the hell not.
Retsupurae on Earnest Evans, a wacky game!
#20DrakkDarkPosted 2/21/2013 6:22:05 PM
IMO the XL is way more comfortable to hold, buttons feel better, 3D effect pops out quite a bit more. The old screen is sharper but I can see more detail in the XL. I get about 5-9 hours out of my XL depending on what I play and if there's 3D...I got 2-4 on my old 3DS. I hate the quiet speakers of my XL tho like wtf was nintendo thinking there uuugh. Stylus is in a better place...came with a bigger SD card. Pixels are pixels. Games are what its about for me. I started with the NES.
---
:3 i play games lolololololol