Paper Mario: Sticker Star is underrated game

#1That_one_Posted 2/23/2013 10:39:03 AM
I loaned the game from my friend, and I heard how he and many others didn't like Sticker Star. I also read from reviews it being more shallow experience than other games. I wanted to try it out anyway.

And I was pleasantly surprised of it. Yes, I have played The Thousands-Year Door, but I still think Sticker Star is good of it own merits. It's less like RPG, and more like adventure game. In TTYD, I liked characters and rich setting it had, Sticker Star shine more in gameplay itself. By not having EXP-system, it reduces need to tediously battle some enemies in order to not get overwhelmed later in game. That makes avoiding battles much more reasonable. It also make possible choose more freely what area you want to explore. For example, if you get stuck in World 1, there are also World 2 levels to proceed.

It does indeed lack proper storyline, or at least same amount TTYD had. There are only Toads and Mario's enemies as recurring characters beside Kersti. That said, I feel this game's strength shine more in different areas. Understandably people were disappointed of it not being traditional RPG. I feel this game should be treated rather stand-alone title than straight continuum of previous Paper Mario-games like Super Paper Mario for example.

TL;DR: I liked it, game not having EXP made it even better.
#2jedinatPosted 2/23/2013 10:50:55 AM
That_one_ posted...
I loaned the game from my friend,

Stopped reading.
#3HeartsnatcherPosted 2/23/2013 10:50:58 AM
i like the music in sticker star a lot, but the thing that seems to bother everyone is that battles are pointless and the fights are more like rock, paper, scissors rather than a real battle system.

i'm still not sure if i should get it or not, i DO need a new game and i've already played everything else on 3ds... i might just grab it later today.
#4BatenKait0sPosted 2/23/2013 10:56:46 AM
Id love to give it a try, but it seems to be the worst of the series and there are far too many games coming out in the near future to sink some time into Sticker Star.
---
Currently playing:
Final Fantasy IX (PSP); Master of the Monster Lair (DS); Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (PS)
#5Wario_manPosted 2/23/2013 11:04:14 AM
I'm not paying another cent for a Paper Mario game until they're made like Thousand Year Door/the original. If that's not where they want the series to go then I'd rather they stop completely before they taint it anymore.
---
PH1R57 1'lL G37 73H 7R345Ur3, 4nD 7h3N 1'lL G37 JoO.
#6NeonYoshi11Posted 2/23/2013 1:23:52 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7Deathsword00Posted 2/23/2013 2:25:19 PM
BatenKait0s posted...
Id love to give it a try, but it seems to be the worst of the series and there are far too many games coming out in the near future to sink some time into Sticker Star.

Saying it's the worst in the series isn't exactly fair. It's just so vastly different from the original Paper Mario games. Sure there are random battles, numbered damage, and all that, but the focus is completely different. If you like the aesthetic, the concept, and have the money it's certainly worth a shot.
---
wut
#8DarthFloatyPosted 2/23/2013 2:44:34 PM
I totally loved it, but can see why others didn't.
#9nintendoggerPosted 2/23/2013 3:20:42 PM
I'm still waiting for my copy to come in the mail (20$ best buy deal) and I'm very much looking forward to it. Adventure is my preference over RPG (sorry not sorry) so it's good to hear it is that style. I have enjoyed every paper mario I've played. The original is my favorite, I played it after TTYD and just loooved the game. SPM was fine, not as good as the others, but I still really liked it.
---
AEPhi Sister.
Currently playing: Harvest Moon a New Beginning
#10JoeBudden42Posted 2/23/2013 7:07:30 PM
it underrated game indeed
---
Canibus is the Greatest Rapper of All Time.