(hopefully) getting a 3dsxl tonight, what should I know?

#1retrogamer28Posted 2/23/2013 12:48:57 PM
If I'm lucky I'll be getting a 3DSXL tonight (red/black), anything I should know before I set it up or important game recommendations? I follow Nintendo stuff pretty closely, and have my eye on quite a few games, so I don't know if this will teach me anything new, but actual owners probably know more about underrated features more than me. So GameFaqs, I challenge you to teach me something new about this system!
#2PuddingchanPosted 2/23/2013 1:16:56 PM
If you're getting it from the game store,

- Best to ask the staff to open the box on the spot and check that all items are in order.
- Also ask them to let you handle the 3DS XL so that you can check for dead pixels, scratches, odd manufacturing defects etc.
- Check that 3D works and isn't making you feel dizzy.
- Check that the SD card is inside and that it is a 4GB SD card.
- Check that the manual, 3 inserts in different languages, the AR card packet, Club Nintendo registration code (and warranty card if applicable) are inside.
- If possible, also check if connecting to wi-fi works.

Make sure they give you a receipt if it is needed for warranty claims.

When I received my 3DS XL, I was told to give it 3 hours of initial charge. You might have to do that too.

If you are planning to buy digital copies of games, you might need a bigger SD card.

I don't have any recommendations for games but your wish list had some interesting games.

If you are new to the 3DS system on the whole, you should really try the games (with 3D on) on the system, such as Find Mii, AR (augmented reality game), Face Raiders. The 3DS camera and 3DS Sound are more for novelty, but 3DS Sound might give you a few good laughs.

Swapnotes is pretty nice too if you like to draw like me, or just send out scribbles and notes to others. You can attach photos and soundclips for a fee in game coins. If you like Swapnotes, you should check out about the Swapnote special stationery from Swapnote board.

About gamecoins, they are fairly important for some games (Swapnotes and I heard Kid Icarus uses them too) and you can get them by closing the system while it is on homescreen and walking around (steps-counted by shakes, pedometer system, with limitation of 10 coins through 1000 steps per day - but limit can be bypassed by changing the date). People have cheated with this since you can simply shake the system, but it's up to you to decide what you want to do. Unless you have ingenious technological methods (someone spun the 3DS on a fan for this) or need to do some form of arm strength training, I find that cheating is a lot more troublesome and just prefer to put the 3DS XL into my bag and go for a walk.

Also don't forget about the demos in eShop. Be warned that demos have limited uses, usually 30 or less. Demos don't stay in the eShop forever as well so download them when you get the chance to.
#3retrogamer28(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 1:41:33 PM
Thank you Puddingchan, I learned something. I Didn't know swapnote needed play coins to attach images/sound, or that demos left the E-Shop after a while, so mission accomplished on the first post! About my wishlist (and collection if you glanced at that too) it isn't quite complete, and hadn't been updated since November, but it's still a good guide I guess. Oh and I won't be able to ask the staff about it, as the whole luck part of it is due to my birthday, but I will make sure too charge it over night, 'cause I know what I'm going to do first thing tomorrow morning, and I wouldn't mind a fully charged system ready to be explored as apposed to one stuck to a wall. Thanks again, Bye!
#4PuddingchanPosted 2/23/2013 1:52:00 PM
retrogamer28 posted...
Thank you Puddingchan, I learned something. I Didn't know swapnote needed play coins to attach images/sound, or that demos left the E-Shop after a while, so mission accomplished on the first post! About my wishlist (and collection if you glanced at that too) it isn't quite complete, and hadn't been updated since November, but it's still a good guide I guess. Oh and I won't be able to ask the staff about it, as the whole luck part of it is due to my birthday, but I will make sure too charge it over night, 'cause I know what I'm going to do first thing tomorrow morning, and I wouldn't mind a fully charged system ready to be explored as apposed to one stuck to a wall. Thanks again, Bye!

Wow it's really nice to be receiving that as a birthday gift. Mine is bought with hard-earned money so I had to be extra careful. Still, you should still probably check contents when you get it on hand.

I feel like recommending Fire Emblem: Awakening but I'm not sure if you will like this game. It's a tactical/strategic RPG game that I feel is somewhat similar to FF Tactics, but is more restricted in terms of class change.
#5MineralPlusBoxPosted 2/23/2013 1:58:17 PM
I recommend Pushmo and Crashmo, both games are pretty fun if you like puzzles.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
Friendcode is 1607-1877-1442. Add me !
#6johnny_boy84Posted 2/23/2013 3:07:58 PM
Puddingchan posted...

Heya, I am also new to the scene. Is this a relatively major thing?
---
Support your local Poet
#7Gandalf the IstariPosted 2/23/2013 3:28:37 PM
I think the demos stay - you just have to search for them instead of them being listed under the demo menu.
#8temgunPosted 2/23/2013 3:53:56 PM
Puddingchan posted...

That's a flaw? I've never seen anyone claiming the 3D doesn't work.

Anyways, definitely get screen protectors, or at least a screen protector for the bottom screen. The screen will wear out no matter how delicate you are. Besides, the stylus slides around the screen significantly more smoothly with a protector on, so that's a good reason alone to get one. Get these:

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Nintendo-3DS-Screen-Protective-Filter/dp/B008HPAXZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361663484&sr=8-1&keywords=3ds+xl+screen+protector

Expensive, yes, but very high quality and very easy to install.
---
What should I even write here?
#9sondastPosted 2/23/2013 4:33:10 PM
Are you aware of this promo? http://club2.nintendo.com/3ds-xl-promo/
#10shaunmePosted 2/23/2013 6:05:17 PM
Sorry to but in but can you guys tell me what to get get out of the following

Paper sticker Mario
miracle mask
Kingdom hearts
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//