Bought a 3DS XL... and I don't even use the 3D feature

#21NinjaKitsunePosted 2/24/2013 12:26:08 AM
jedinat posted...
Are nice graphics in your games "fun for 30 minutes" then get boring for you too? Should devs stop bothering with good graphics? I'm just trying to put this in perspective.

And you've failed miserably because optical illusions are not comparable to good graphics at all.

Yeah. They're better.
---
Attention de--oh my God, it's Jackie Chan!
#22hobbesPosted 2/24/2013 12:29:58 AM
If you have a visual problem in one eye or the other. I tried to demo a 3DS with a bad cataract in one eye. You can't see the 3d effect if you don't have both eyes.
---
I'm the Tin Man,I never had a heart!
#23PuddingchanPosted 2/24/2013 12:35:44 AM
hobbes posted...
If you have a visual problem in one eye or the other. I tried to demo a 3DS with a bad cataract in one eye. You can't see the 3d effect if you don't have both eyes.

That would be one of the real reasons why you don't have a choice to use the 3D feature. I'm sorry that you can't enjoy the 3D effects though.
#24TehTrumpCardPosted 2/24/2013 12:35:52 AM
I can't see the 3D so I don't bother. it just ends up hurting my eyes.

I honestly don't believe I'm missing out though.
---
...Life is tedious if it ain't flowing... Trump x E4's Caitlin
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#25loremipsoniumPosted 2/24/2013 12:39:39 AM
Pfffff, you people are babies, I play with 3D on all the time, it's so amazing. Dismissing something because its a gimmick? Do you even know what a gimmick is? These are video games people, quit taking this hobby so freaking seriously all the time.
#26bcorneliaPosted 2/24/2013 1:42:21 AM(edited)
kewldude475 posted...
bcornelia posted...
Unless you have some kind of medical condition (like missing a whole eye) you're doing yourself a disservice by not using the 3D.

Games like Kid Icarus and SM3DL would, frankly, just look ugly without it.

False.

It's not false. While the visual assets in Kid Icarus are impressive, they are let down by a total lack of antialiasing. Kid Icarus really does look like a jaggy mess in parts, especially when the camera is zoomed out. HOWEVER, the 3D effect really goes a long way in diverting attention from this in addition to making the games look much more lush.

I think Kid Icarus looks gorgeous in 3D. In 2D though...eh...
---
This is an elite pirate
#27TeepotPosted 2/24/2013 2:37:14 AM
3D is a gimmick. Nothing wrong with that but it certainly doesn't add anything to the game. I play with 3D on almost always and have only had it off when the slider was accidentally turned down without me knowing.

That's how pointless it is. Before the XL with the lock mechanism on the 3DS slider came out I would sometimes play my 3DS for a couple of hours before I even realize the 3D was off.
---
Bad biscuits make the baker broke, bro.
#28DiscomasterPosted 2/24/2013 6:27:49 AM
I used the 3D more on my first 3DS, but significantly less on the XL. Although I'm not sure if it's because I haven't played any games lately that the 3D looks really good on, or that I'm having a hard time finding the sweet spot with a larger screen.
#29PokenubPosted 2/24/2013 6:34:43 AM
jedinat posted...
Are nice graphics in your games "fun for 30 minutes" then get boring for you too? Should devs stop bothering with good graphics? I'm just trying to put this in perspective.

If that means they spend the money on story and gameplay, GO FOR IT.
---
XBOX 360 GT: Invghost
Games I am looking forward to: Super Motherload, Mewgenics.
#30TheWhoFanPosted 2/24/2013 6:48:23 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...

Nintendo didn't adopt the "one generation compatible" policy until recently--with the Wii. So long as they maintain that policy, every future handheld must have two screens, touch screen, 3D screen, gyro, etc.

So, what you're saying is that Nintendo can't do anything that they haven't done at least once before, right? So what's stopping them from, you know, dropping (full) backwards compatibility in their next handheld?

What? Nothing? Oh, thought so.
---
"On a technical level, PC obviously. But because PC and Xbox have no games, PS3 wins." - ScreamingMidget
They don't even try anymore.